Changing my mind

Prettygia
on 4/17/11 4:20 pm - MD
I am still in the process of trying to get approved for WLS, the lapband that is, and I have been reading alot of posts on here from people saying that they have had to get the band removed and then got the sleeve. I am wondering if this is the new route that I want to take. Just reading some of people's post about the lapband not being as effective like food getting stuck,vomiting,slower weight loss etc etc. I guess my question is when I meet back with my surgeon am I able to tell him that I wanted to possibly get the sleeve instead of the lapband? I know that everyone is different and will react to WLS diferent but I do not want to be one of those people that get the band and then end up back in the operating room to get it removed.
DrHollywood
on 4/17/11 4:34 pm - Harbor City, CA
get the sleeve

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

sleeve genie
on 4/17/11 4:39 pm - Alhambra, CA
Lots of people have problems with the band,  its a foreign object in yur body  you have to go for fills and unfills  the shelf life of the band is only 10yrs  most don't make it to 5 and another thing to worry about is most insurance companies now have a rule where they will only pay for one surgery.  I know lots of people who got the band and have nothing but problems,  the least of which is the slow weight loss, food getting stuck, throwing up,  port getting twisted,  leaking of the fluid.   There are a lot of people on here who had to get their band removed and got the sleeve and they love it.  I wouldn't get a band,  no way.  I wish you peace in making the right decision for you .  for me it was the sleeve,  i love it,  get it done and thats it,  other than taking supplements and making healthy food choices and exercising and gettin in enough fluids.  If you want the sleeve tell your surgeon so that he will submit the right request to your insurance company  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Rozella
on 4/17/11 5:15 pm - New Market, TN
Hi I have the band right now for the 2and half years almost 3yrs. I only lost 10 pounds thats it no more.The first time I wanted the rny but the doctor said I had to much scar tissue so he wouldn't do the rny.I was desperate went to the band.I just found out the doctor lied to me said they put the realize band on I found out a month ago they didn't put the realize on me,,sorry went off the point here food always sticking in my throat would come back up this is with band I knowso I'm going to mexico and having the sleeve done what I've seen on here people lose alot more with sleeve if I knew then I could have gone to mexico and got the sleeve instead. I am going with the sleeve getting rid of this band.Sorry for being so long.Wish you luck.
Cheryl
rozella jones

healthykid69
on 4/17/11 5:19 pm - CA
I would most definitely talk with your surgeon about doing the sleeve vs lapband. He/she should have explained all the types of surgery at length and discussed why each one would or wouldn't be right for you. In my particular situation, VSG is the ONLY option for me. If it weren't available, I wouldn't be able to have WLS.
Ulysses
on 4/17/11 5:27 pm

My surgeon is the head of the Bariatric Center of Excellence here in my city.
On the 1st seminar I went to the first thing he said (maybe not THE 1st) was that he WILL NOT perform a Lap Band surgery on anyone. He went on to explain why - many have already been posted. If someone really wants a lap band then they have to go through 1 of the other 2 surgeons on staff.
That tells me volumes---- 3 of 4 surgeons at my BCE won't perform the lap band.

My consult with the my surgeon (I was all ready for RNY) resulted in me opting for the sleeve. After loads of research I can tell you it is the way to go...The sleeve cannot be undone, but it can be altered to RNY or a Duodenal Switch.

Best of luck in your choice!
J

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Prettygia
on 4/17/11 5:27 pm - MD
thanks everyone for your input it means alot. I am still on my 6 month diet plan and I have actually gained weight. I do not know if this would effect the approval part of my surgery or not.  I guess it depends on the type of insurance you have.
Hopeful_V
on 4/17/11 8:56 pm
 I completely understand about the insurance. My insurance doesn't cover the sleeve so I went to Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali. If you end up looking at that type of option, make sure you do your homework. You'll find that Dr. Aceves is very reasonably priced, but more important is highly trained and has many years of experience. After my surgery, he continues to keep in contact with me to see if I am doing alright. He is also available whenever I have a concern or question. (You don't find that too often even here in the states.) You can look him up on this forum.

Again, do your homework on this one. I wouldn't recommend any other doctor from outside the US. I'm two months out and have lost almost 40 pounds, but many would've considered me somewhat of a light-weight to have the surgery. I needed it for medical reasons due to what the extra weight was doing to me and because I couldn't lose the weight any other way. (Tried for over a year without success.)  
mallrat
on 4/17/11 8:45 pm - St Peters, MO
Get the sleeve.  I had 2 lapbands, both of which slipped and I had nothing but problems for 4 yrs.  I was lucky enough that my insurance paid for my revision to tthe sleeve last August and I couldnt be happier.  The difference between the 2 is unbelievable. 
MrsHelm1012
on 4/17/11 8:52 pm - Washingtonville, PA
I know of 1 person who had great success with the Band.. But she REALLY had to work it. I was set on getting the Band, until I met my surgeon. We had a 2 hr discussion on band vs sleeve vs bypass. And I decided the band is just not worth it. I will have far better results with the sleeve and far fewer complications. My insurance just started covering the sleeve a month ago, so had I been on time in my Pre op (suppose to take 6 months, mine has taken 8.. Surgeon was backed up, and had to do a follow up with the psych guy) I would be stuck with the band right now! Ugh.

Most Active
Recent Topics