Quitting Smoking for surgery

Susan0714
on 4/14/11 7:55 am - Kenner, LA
I was just a social smoker as well, so I quit when the NP told me to stop.. I stopped last November, and it is true when you stop and you go by someone smoking it really does stink..

I am a Pharm Tech, and I have heard a lot of people say how much they LOVE chantix..

Good luck

Susan
justeric78
on 4/14/11 8:01 am - Houston, TX
i quit about 2 weeks ago and started my liquid diet on Monday. It was hard but really I found concentrating on the surgery and the liquid diet helped me not to care as much about the smoking. I have tried in the past and this time was a breeze in comparrison. I used the gum for about a week but gave that up too since it is the nicotine that is bad not just the smoke. On top of everything posted above it also gives you a higher chance of blood clots post surgery since it hurts blood flow. Chewing regular gum though has helped me a ton through the smoking and the liquid diet. I think I am going to be okay now! I was really worried about it though too.
lisa M.
on 4/14/11 8:12 am
I had to quit when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was really scary! When they told me I had cancer and said that I needed to go in and have a chest xray I wouldn't do it. I was too afraid that I had cancer there as well. Besides the cancer risk, you don't heal as well when you are a smoker. It's really hard to quit but once you get it out of your system it's a lot easier. You can live without cigarettes really well. Plus, you will be able to afford all the new clothes you will need once you have your sleeve and start losing weight. You will be amazed at how great you will feel. It
Ratfinkshell
on 4/14/11 8:13 am - Fullerton, CA
Nicorette gum, I know it's not the best tasting but as soon as I'd get a craving for a cigarette I'd go outside and chew chew chew lol. Still fighting the temptaions after surgery but coming from smoking a pack a day I'd say I'm doing pretty damn good now!

HW:263 SW:236 CW: 163 GW:140-150

Revision to sleeve on 03/15/2011 due to broken band

MELMEL308
on 4/14/11 8:13 am - PA
I feel your pain.. I too had/have to quit for surgery.. I really wasnt smoking heavily though, I was at about 6-10 cigerettes a day, and then i went down to 1 or 2 a day.. now i am like 1 here and there...I actually saw my surgeon yesterday and he asked me how i was doing.. I told him i quit and he said "When? Yesterday?"..lol I told him no that i have had a few here and there but have been for about a month quitting... then my fiance tells him "She has like 2 or 3 a week" I wanted to kill him...but my surgeon basically moved on...About a month ago I had to have a urine test AGAIN... lets just say that for anxiety, sometimes my cigerettes were happier..lol..so that was a 4 week process and completely embaressing when told that i tested positive for pot...lol but for insurance purposes it had to be clean.. so thankfully, that cleared... I was more worried about the nicotine than the other...but nicotine was not said to be in my system.. I am wondering how much does it come up in the system because i was told that they will look for it when doing blood tests...but i also read nicotine can stay in your system for up to 6 months depending how heavy of a smoker you are...
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
skinimini
on 4/14/11 8:20 am
I am not a smoker, but I have a friend who was practically a chain-smoker. She has been for many years. She took Chantix and it was a miracle drug!! She quit with no problems what so ever. I was amazed!

Good luck! When you are all finished with quitting smoking and having WLS, you will feel so much better, I'm sure!

I am 5' 7" tall and 35-years-old   **Sheri**
My ticker shows who I did this for:  Azure and Malachi

July 10th, 2011:  Down 26 lbs. and 15 1/4 ".

Aug. 10th, 2011: Down 14 lbs. and 13 3/4 ".

Sept. 10th, 2011:

Oct. 10th, 2011:

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 8:31 am
 I am one of those weird ex-smokers who still like the smell of it. I'm not tempted by it by I think I associate the smell with good times!

Anyway when i quit I couldn't afford the Chantix (insurance wouldn't pay for it) so the dr. gave me some Valium or something like that (can't remember the name). I would take one when the cravings where making me crazy and it worked. I quit cold turkey 5 years ago. 

Try the Chantix if you can get it, or it not ask for an anxiety med.
kellyw74
on 4/14/11 8:39 am - CA
I use to smoke, but thankfully quit a year before I decided to have the sleeve done!

I am glad that I did because I know me, if someone told me that I "had to quit", I would not be able to!!

Nicotene is a drug and it is hard. I was over a pack a day smoker!!! The first week was the worst and after that, no brainer. Get some Nicoderm CQ patches, those worked for me because I knew with them on, I couldn't smoke, so I didn't. Even 24 hours after taking it off you can't!!

I think that is what helped me so much. Last Saturday was 1 year for me! You can do it too!!

Good luck!

Kelly

SamIAm_2010
on 4/14/11 9:10 am - MI
I had to stop smoking to have surgery it was extremely hard (especially living with a smoker) but you can do it!  I just kept telling myself they'll know if I cheat and why would I cheat and have to start all over again.  It'll be 1 yr smoke free on Saturday! :)  Good Luck!

Sam-I-Am

C. Champion
on 4/14/11 9:13 am - Minneapolis, MN
Thanks everyone for the advice, I have thought about Chantex but I am worried about the suicidal side effects. I suppose I would notice them if I got them and would be able to deal with them right away with the doc, so maybe I will give that a try, I am just at a loss, trying to do all these things at once and quit caffeine and smoking and all this stuff is making feel like a neurotic mess! Im glad im not the only one tho I swear I thought everyone else who got WLS didnt smoke lol
Most Active
Recent Topics