3 weeks out and I'm eating everything!! help!

firecap61
on 4/11/11 2:20 pm - TX
Anybody else feel the need to eat everything one last time before surgery? Tell me I don't need counseling and that I'll get over it. Also, where are all the guys on this forum? I know there have to be some male VSG'ers out there.
LittleMissSunshine
on 4/11/11 2:30 pm
You're not alone... I've had just about everything I could possibly want over the past 2 weeks (though thankfully maintained rather than gained).  I have to check in with my surgeon's office, but I'm pretty sure that I'm close to being able to schedule surgery, which they typically do about a month out.  Since that's the length of the pre-op diet, I started it yesterday... no more than 30g of carbs per day is essentially the only guideline.

It's tough to go from wreckless abandon to super strict self-control, but if I want this surgery, I have to do it... so I'm doing it.

It helps if you start logging what you eat each day; it can be motivating to see just how many calories, carbs, etc. you're eating.  I signed up for MyFitnessPal.com yesterday... they seem to have decent tools.

Oh, and there are definitely some guys here... no doubt some of them will chime in.

Good luck!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

firecap61
on 4/11/11 4:02 pm - TX

it's funny how different each surgeon is. My surgery is 3 weeks out but all I have been told from my doctor is to do the two week liquid diet. I've heard others like yours that want a low carb diet for a month. I will do whatever I have to do to get off this train...

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/11 2:53 pm

Thats kind of normal to feel that way but becareful of acting on it. You need to lose that pre surgery weight so the Dr can do his job.  There are a lot of males on the forum but I haven't seen them tonight  They are regular contributors to this forum and very valued by us OG's for a mans point of view..plus when we post our pictures they all are quite complimentary and every gal needs that male input.

firecap61
on 4/11/11 3:57 pm - TX
I think I can beat it actually. Thanks for your reply. How is your post-op going?
allisonb70
on 4/11/11 2:57 pm - CO
David - Yes sir.. I went through that for sure. Had to have my Del Taco one last time before surgery. I do not know if I call it lucky or not, but I ate pretty much anything I wanted until the day before surgery. I even had a hot dog and a beer the night before surgery at the Lakers game - The pic in my profile is right before I left for the game. I will tell you the first couple of weeks are rough. The liquid faze sucks ass. But once you get to at least the pureed part you can start eating (somewhat) again. I am just over 11 weeks post op and I can eat anything I want now. It is really a change of thinking in your eating habits. It is ALL about the protein now. Bread, tortillas etc do not even sound good anymore. I love my protein shakes in the morning. I use the 100% Whey Solate chocolate powder from GNC - I use a scoop and a half, with about 4oz of chocolate silk milk, and about 4 oz of 1% regular milk. Then I add one of those small tubes of Starbucks coffee powder in it for some caffeine. I have a cool wand mixer that mixes it well. The powder alone is 28 grams of protein for 1 scoop, so 1 1/2 gives me 42 grams of protein just in the powder - with the milk probably closer to 50 grams. This usually holds me until about 12:30-1pm, then if I am at work, I usually have one of the SMALL cans of tuna mixed with some mustard and a string cheese. For dinner, I usually eat some fish and some edamame - and that is about ALL I can eat in a day. I may have some almonds later at night, but man it is STRANGE not eating like I used to. Hell, I would eat 8 tacos for dinner and not even think about it. Another hard part to get used to is not drinking with your meals. You need to wait like 45 minutes to an hour after you eat to drink anything - Also at least 30 minutes prior to eating. I haven't had a carbonated drink and I honestly do not miss it. Powerade ZERO is my favorite drink now, and I usually drink (2) 32oz a day with water in between. 11 weeks out and I certainly cannot argue with the results. 67 pounds down with 65 pounds to go, so I am already over halfway to my goal!!! I have had ZERO complications, and would do this surgery again a million times over... Good luck on your journey and keep in touch.
Brian

allisonb70
on 4/11/11 3:01 pm - CO
Sorry Firecap.. I thought David was your name - That is your surgeon!! LOL!

firecap61
on 4/11/11 3:12 pm - TX
No problem. Thanks for your reply. I can't believe you ate that right up to surgery day! Didn't your doctor put you on a liquid diet? I have to start my liquid diet in a week and I'm not looking forward to it. But I am looking forward to getting out of this eat everything rut!
allisonb70
on 4/11/11 3:27 pm - CO
No.. There was no mention of a liquid diet before surgery. I didn't find this website until after surgery, so I was quite surprised to see everyone talking about pre op diets. My Dr. has been wonderful, but yes, I was a little surprised.

frisco
on 4/11/11 3:13 pm

Dude....... Time to get real.......

I guess what really counts is what you do after surgery......

Right now.....food still controls you......technically this thing starts when you get a surgery date.......blend into it.....

I didn't really do food funerals....sure I ate like a normal person.....but I figured at 338lbs. I had eatin enough quantity.

The sooner you switch your brain, the easier it will be for you.......

Good luck to you..... hang on for a ride !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics