Considering but concerned...

Bahamas1968
on 4/10/11 1:02 am - MI
Hello,

I have been to a GS information session and scheduled my one-on-one consultation.  A good friend of mine had the surgery and she is pleased but I have serious concerns. She indicated that she not only eats less, but doesn't even crave the foods she use to love.
I guess because of my love of food, it's hard for me to imagine a life without loving to eat. I want more than anything to be smaller. I don't eat a lot now, but I hate to exercise. I purchased a treadmill and since the weather has been better here in Detroit, I have been able to walk my dog longer distances outside. Since I am African-American, I am concerned about keloiding on my skin. Honestly, I am also concerned about feeling tired and sick for months or even days at a time. Despite my weight, I feel really good. No high blood pressure, not diabetes. But I know at 280 pounds, its just a matter of time before I feel the pain of being obese. In 2000 I had a breast reduction surgery. I was really frightened, and was actually ill for 2 weeks. I dred feeling that way again.

I know my post is mostly a bunch of ramblings, but if you could tell me some of the things that you ate immediatly after the surgery and what types of things I need to buy to prepare for the surgery ahead of time. I would be most greatful........Felisha

sleeve genie
on 4/10/11 1:16 am - Alhambra, CA
Hello there,  some people say they are never hungry and have to remind themselves to eat?  not so for me,  it was one of the things i most wanted to happen but it didn't.  I still love to eat,  just can't eat as much as i used to (which is great).  The first 2-4 weeks is the most challenging but to me a small price to pay for the return of my health,  not to mention how much better i look and feel.  And its easier to exercise when you weigh less, it least it is for me.   I think you will be very happy with your results when you do this.  Good luck  :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

skinnygu
on 4/10/11 1:17 am
It's true. You won't want to eat many things you used to like at first. BUt that's how ya got fat in the first place.  I suggest you have the surgery. YOu will eventuallly   get your love of eating back, but by then you'll be thin and eat less.  go for it.
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/11 1:18 am, edited 4/10/11 1:20 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Hey girlie,

I am nearly 2 years out from surgery come May.

I love everything I loved before surgery.  I *can* eat anything I choose *Choose being the operative phrase* but while everything is permissible, everything is *not* beneficial.  I am a foodie, love to eat, love to cook, and all the things that go with. None of that has changed.  I can eat ****POTS of food that is not *dense protein alone* (I am talking about meat).

A concern I have for your is your statement that you do not eat a lot now.  If that is true (not saying it is or it is not just sayin) then there seems little point in having a surgery that cuts down on the amount of food you are eating, see what I mean? 

Nobody can tell you how you will feel after surgery.  I felt great from the time I was lucid, some other folks have a few months before they feel like themselves.  Its a crap shoot.

After surgery, my surgeon has us on a food progression, clear liquids, full liquids, mushy foods, then solid foods (we do not eat solids until a month after surgery, so our staple line heals) but other doctors have different plans. Maybe a Dr. Pleatman patient will happen on by.

go here http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/ and there are a lot of things that will help you, including the list of things to take.

Good luck.

Oh and edit to add, I also never lost my hunger.  I still get hungry, *never* have to remind myself to eat, but its not that insane hunger like I had before, which is a nice change.  Reasonable hunger satisfied with reasonable amounts of dense protein.
Bahamas1968
on 4/10/11 1:21 am - MI
Thanks a bunch.....
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/11 1:23 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Sure thing babygirl.  Stick around, look at that link and ask questions.  Its a great place to learn!

And also, see in my signature block for the vsg maintenance board. Go there and lurk and see what folks a couple years out have to say, because very often here you get information from mostly folks who are fresher and have not actually lived with their new stomachs or lives for very long, so like with any relationship, sometimes things change!  :} 
Ratfinkshell
on 4/10/11 1:25 am - Fullerton, CA
I'm struggling with my previous "love of food" but if it was healthy food I was obsessed with then I wouldn't of had to have a VSG! It's hard at first but you adjust. You may be "healthy" now at 280 but what happens 10yrs from now when you all of a sudden have diabetes high blood pressure and whatever else decides to come into you're life, or what about in 10yrs from now you are now 350lbs?! Sorry don't mean to rant but these were all my concerns as well, at 236 I may not have had any "health issues" aside from the extra 100lbs I was carrying around, but I have kids I want to see grow up, I want to be able to run around with them, I want to be able to walk into a store and buy something off a rack, I want to be able to learn to scuba dive without being scared a passing boat will harpoon me , I want to be able to wear a swimsuit in public and not be self concious, I just want to NOT worry about my weight and just LIVE!

Yes the first 5-6 days were a little rough, but after that I've learned to get my fluids and vitamins in and have felt amazing ever since.....

Good luck on your journey! 

HW:263 SW:236 CW: 163 GW:140-150

Revision to sleeve on 03/15/2011 due to broken band

Bahamas1968
on 4/10/11 1:28 am - MI
Thank you very much.....Harpoon? LOL
Jeep1974
on 4/10/11 1:30 am - MI
I miss eating a lot of the food I used to, but like someone said.... That is how I got to where I was.

I am over in Grand Rapids, btw.... Born and raised in Macomb county.

I had my surgery in January and my whole way of looking at food has changed. Sometimes I have something like a piece of chocolate, but mostly I am just eating to live.... Not living to eat.

I quit smoking two years ago and it is sort of like how I miss smoking sometimes, but it is just becoming a memory how much I used to eat or how much I liked to smoke.

The sleeve was the right choice for me. I feel great, I am looking good.... And the liquid diet was tought, but now I just eat a lot of protein mostly..... Lunchmeat, eggs, string cheese, pretty much low carb diet.

It is a mental game and yiu have to be ready to make the changes and I know you can do it if you put your mind to it.... You are a Detroiter and are resilient. hugs....

MrsWash07
on 4/10/11 1:40 am - Houma, LA
 I am almost three weeks post op and I understand your issues. I shared some of the same. But I can honestly say, I have not had much pain at all, but as others have said that depends. I just started on pureed foods and I get to have beans, tuna, salmon, etc. so being a lover of food is really not that bad. As an African American, I don't have any issues with keloids, my incisions are healing quite well. 

This is a serious decision only you can make. But I will say you are in the right place, people will answer your questions, with honest answers.

Good Luck with whatever you decide and God bless!!
Most Active