New Sleevers - You CAN Do This

HappyMe15
on 3/30/11 4:01 am
OldMedic you are truly and inspiration!! thanks for letting us see and understand that we all can do this!! we can achieve this with dedication and perseverance!

I love! to read your post anytime your write. You are a great person, and you transmits through your writting.
Linda B.
on 3/30/11 4:02 am

Thanks for the encouragement! That's what we all need. God Bless

_Nikki_
on 3/30/11 4:40 am
Thank you thank you thank you !!
_Nikki_ 

Candy S.
on 3/30/11 4:55 am - Elgin, SC
Tell us like it is!!
Height: 5'3" | HW: 262 | SW: 237 | CW: 130 | GW: 135

calibelle
on 3/30/11 5:00 am
I needed to hear that, your message was right on time.   I am feeling down because other people that have had the surgery after me have lost more than me and I feel like a failure already.  Everyday it is a struggle to eat and drink enough, work out enough and not fall into old habits. I can not eat any carbs, even beans make me over eat. 

hmd77
on 3/30/11 5:11 am - KY

Thank you for sharing your story!! When I went to my VA Dr for WLS, they told me the VA no longer approves it :ugh:.  I am not working with a bariatric group to get my WLS approved through my work insurance.  Question for ya, if I have complications, will I still be able to see my VA PCP?  I worried that since he is not a bariatric surgeon, he might see me or that the VA would not treat any WLS issues if they did not do the surgery. Really wish the VA would consider doing WLS again since so many of veteran's are disbaled and that makes the pounds really pack on.

Again, thanks for sharing :)

Surgery Date  6/6/2011
Bluegrass Bariatrics
Dr. John Oldham
Add me on FB -  http://www.facebook.com/heavenly12b

OldMedic
on 3/30/11 7:12 am - Alvaton, KY
The VA DOES indeed authorize weight loss surgery!  Your PCP doesn't know what he's talking about.

Ask for a referral to the MOVE Program. Virtually every VA Hospital has one.

Many VA Hospitals are doing the surgery themselves, others contract it out (they have a hard time holding on to qualified surgeons, because their pay scale is so low).  Some send their patients to another VA hospital to get it done.  I know they still do it, I had a good friend who just had his done yesterday.

If you are a service connected disabled vet, all the MORE reason to get VA to pay the bill.

Don't be a wimp and let them buffalo you.  If necessary, send me a PM, and I can advise you.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

GeeGee13
on 3/30/11 7:52 am
thank you, very inspiring and well needed!
congrats )
nannygoat46
on 3/30/11 8:21 am
I got the sleeve on 3/7, and I needed to hear a story like yours.  I am 64.  Thanks so much for sharing this inspiring story.
MikeyMike
on 3/30/11 10:16 am - New York, NY
Thanks OM,

You have been one of the ones who inspired me. Glad to see you still hang around.

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

Most Active
Recent Topics