New Sleevers - You CAN Do This

OldMedic
on 3/30/11 3:05 am - Alvaton, KY
For all of the newly sleeved (and those who soon will be).

I weighed 365.5 pounds, on a 6 foot frame, at the time of my surgery.  I was 65 years old, I HATE exercise in all of its forms (I had more than enough of that stuff during 10 years in the Army), and I absolutely LOVE  to eat (I am a very good cook and baker).

I also had Diabetes II, and was required to take the maximum possible daily doseages of four different oral medications.  Insulin had been recommended (I fought against it).

My triglycerides were out of sight on the high end.

My ldl/hdl ratio was to die for (it was so bad, it was a minor miracle I hadn't had a stroke or a heart attack).

I wheezed and puffed like a leaky steam engine, walking to my mailbox which is exactly 300 feet from my front door.  I should more accurately say, "slowly strolled", because what I was doung would hardly qualify as "walking".  I had to rest a couple of minutes before setting off to go back to the house.  That was 100% of the "exercise" that I had gotten for about 5 years.

I used a cane to "walk", because my back pain was so bad (I have 2 compression fractures in my spine).

You get the picture.  I was a fat old slob, waiting to die.

But, I didn't want to die.  I enjoy my wife, my daughters, my grandsons, and my church and fraternal organization.  I wanted to be around, if possible, for my 50th anniversary (God willing).  So, about 2002, I began to research weight loss surgery.

I used two medical school libraries and computer systems (USC and UC San Diego) as well as their general libraries.  I researched on-line, I discovered the sleeve, and really wanted it, but didn't have the funds.  I abhor debt, so what to do?

To make a long story short, eventually the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
contracted out my surgery to Vanderbilt University Centers, Center for Weight Loss Surgery.  I had my sleeve done in Sept 2008, and in 16 months, I lost 100% of my excess weight (195.5 pounds).

I have been able to keep that weight off, because I continue to weigh myself every week.  If I go up 5 pounds, I get back on program (proten shakes), and get my weight back where it should be.  I walk, 3 days a week, 3 miles at a time for exercise (which is exactly what I did for exercise during the weight loss phase).

The bottom line is this:  If a 65 year old lazy couch potato can use a sleeve to get back to a healthy weight, there is absolutely no reason on God's Green Earth why YOU can't do it too.

The sleeve does work, if YOU will work with it.  Follow your diet and exercise plan.  Don't cheat often (we all cheat, whether we want to admit it or not) and don't make a habit of cheating.

Male or female, young or old, you CAN reach goal.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Valsdetermined2lose
on 3/30/11 3:08 am
Wonderful story! Love it and Congrats to you!
 HW-267-SW-253-CW-167 I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

Valerie K.
on 3/30/11 3:15 am - Dearborn, MI
 Old Medic you just know when to kick me in the butt to keep me going. Great timing and great story thanks so much for the advise.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

elzbthn1
on 3/30/11 3:18 am
Thank you so much for that - I so needed to hear it! Can't wait until Monday, when my life with change for the better!!!!!!!!! Bring it on!
Week 1 10 pounds,week 2 4.4,week 3 2.2 week 4 1.6,week 5 6 week 6 .2 week 7 .6 week 8 4 week 9 .2 up!! week 10 3.4 week 11 .6 week 12 1.8 week 13 2 week 14 1 week 15 1.8 week 16 1.4 week 17 0 week 18 3.4 week 19 .4 pound lost!
Month 1 = 18.2
Month 2= 10.8
Month 3 = 5.6
Month 4 = 6.2

_Nikki_
on 3/30/11 4:39 am
That's your sign girl !! This is your time and you will do great !!
_Nikki_ 

luvdisney
on 3/30/11 3:27 am
Thank you, I really needed that. My impatience is getting the best of me yet again. Today I am saying think with Logic not emotion! You are right I can do this as can anyone who wants it bad enough.

kimberleyann
on 3/30/11 3:34 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
Thank you for being such a supportive member of this board. Your story is inspirational.

NursieGirl
on 3/30/11 3:37 am
Thanks for continuing to inspire with your story!

carabarnes
on 3/30/11 3:43 am
Well said! Great Post!

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

LynetteT
on 3/30/11 3:45 am - Gwinnett County, GA
Thanks Medic for the wonderful encouragement.  Congrats on your success!!
HW:297-SW:278-CW-220-GW-150--http://www.youtube.com/user/sarahsmomma1

Most Active
Recent Topics