Let's Talk Hunger

heardb
on 3/24/11 5:11 am - GA
Thanks, you really lost triple digits? You've got to holla at ya boy, and hit me with some tips!
jimbovsg
on 3/25/11 1:11 pm
On March 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM Pacific Time, heardb wrote:
Thanks, you really lost triple digits? You've got to holla at ya boy, and hit me with some tips!
Hey dude sorry it took so long to reply.  Yes I have actually lost a few more pounds....so like 303lbs now!   Not sure if I have any "special tips" to share......the ones that come to mind that I did are.... # 1 follow my doc's plan to the letter! ( at 6-9 months I "slacked off" to only 90% compliance!)  I am still about 85-90% compliant W/ his "losing phase" plan....still losing at almost 19 months out!  # 2..... I feel kicking the "carb  monkey " off your back....is very important for SOME of us! ( I was one who needed to)  SOME of us must "detox" off  "white" carbs (sugar...flour)  in particular.  Use the first few months to "detox" off them. (if you were a "carbaholic"  you will still be able to eat them....no problem.....the key is controlling the amount!)  I can eat them in small amounts without binging on them.  i think it is cause they no longer are a part of my "daily" intake.  # 3 work on changing your "mindset" about food....and your relationship with it. ( books...therapy...support groups....family....here on OH...all are good resources to help with that!)  Find what works for you!  I can tell you I use ALL of the ones I listed!  I really "think"  different regarding food now.  i also incorporate exercise in my life  6X a week.  this is about "lifestyle" change....not just "diet  and exercise"  The easy part is losing the weight.....hard part is making a permanent...lasting...change in "lifestyle!"   without that.......many of us are doomed for failure ( and this is true for ALL WLS!)   

I wanted to add....the whole "carb" thing is always in debate around here....I can only speak from 1 experience.....my own!  There are many others who do low/no carb.....some others  allow more carbs/higher carb in their plan..... there are successes on both sides....and somewhere in the middle too........find what works for you!   Like others say...."you can argue with my methods....but you cannot argue with my results!"  Good luck!  

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

sunny10
on 3/24/11 1:26 am
I am 5 weeks post op and I get hungry every 2 or 3 hours depending on what I eat.  The good thing is that I get full really fast.  So I eat 5 times a day......always protein first then veggies.....
Sunny10    
Seelessofme22
on 3/24/11 1:34 am - MD
Ditto on the no hunger!!  I get that empty feeling that others have mentioned but it won't necessarily drive me to eat unless I want to...I could easily ignore it and keep moving.  But it is usually an indicator that its about time to eat. 

Good luck to you!!
Follow me on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/seelessofme22
HW - 311; SW - 296; CW - 191; 1st GW - 190; 2nd GW - 180?

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." 
stephanie507
on 3/24/11 1:34 am - so. plfd, NJ
VSG on 02/09/11 with
I am new only 2 months out and love the sleeve but I miss eating out with family or friends I have head hunger but the pain if i over eat keeps it in check trust.  It is awesome to have this control of what I eat before I over eat I eat everything.  Now I manager my eating and feel much healthier I have not weighted myself in a minute but I know I am losing inches because I am moving my body.  I am looking forward to traveling to Vegas in May to have some fun and not asking for seat belt extender on the plane.  So hunger no but head hunger yes and when I feel that way I think am I hungry or do I just want to eat. Stephanie

Jeni_In_Sarasota
on 3/24/11 1:56 am - Sarasota, FL
Im hungry all the time. Wish I was one of the lucky ones who doesnt really get hungry. Yes some of it is "head hunger" but not all of it. The only thing that will really fill me up is dense protein. I could eat all I want of almost anything else. With all that said I have still been successful. I had surgery on Nov 8 th and started my preop diet 2 weeks before. I have lost a total of 86lbs.

lbright
on 3/24/11 2:09 am - MI
Hey!!! I'm hungry now... I'm almost 4 weeks out. I'm still trying to figure out if it my belly or my head.
living_on_the_edge
on 3/24/11 2:10 am - Calgary, Canada
Yes you will still get hungry after VSG.i still feel the hunger the way i felt it before VSG its all bull crap that Ghrelin is not produced etc etc.
SW 245lbs           CW 168LBS          GW??
Carmelita
on 3/24/11 2:19 am - Four Corners, NM
blkopal6
on 3/24/11 3:20 am - San Diego, CA
Hi there...
I am 12 weeks out.  I don't get very hugry at all... it's more like I know it's time to get some protein in.  Mostly it's head hunger, where you want a taste in your mouth to eat something, but I know I am not hungry and so I drink water, hot tea, Crystal Light to curb that and get all my liquids in. 

I am very satisfied with how the sleeve has worked for me.  I get full fast, I eat 2-3 oz of protein and 1/8 cup veggie and I am good to go until 3-4 hours later.  I eat Turkey Jerky if I feel like munching, or I take it to the movies to have since it takes a while to eat and I get to CHEW while everyone else is Crunching popcorn...lol

So yes, most of my hunger is mental, I do fill up fast and am satisfied for a good amount of time!  I am happy and feeling much better with just over 50 pounds gone. 

Good luck on your Journey!!!
Kristy

Most Active
Recent Topics