Too much AIR in the blender protein shakes

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/10 12:30 pm
I had the same problem.  I think the milk whips up.  Today I used unsweetened almond milk instead of milk and the shake was not airy or foamy at all.  And it wasn't so thick either.  I liked it alot.  It is also cutting the shake calories quite a bit. 
Hailey D.
on 11/8/10 12:34 pm - Longmont, CO
I just wanted to show you guys what I read on the Vitalady website about mixing your protein in advance....

"It is not advisable to mix it up in advance, as we know it loses its protein integrity (but how much?), and it begins to gather bacteria after as little as 30 minutes. Even refrigerated in a tightly sealed container is no guarantee that you’ll be getting the full safe dose you hope for".

I just remembered reading this a while back and thought it might be helpful to some. It may at least be worth exploring a little further to make sure you are getting the most out of your protein drinks.

Hailey
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/10 1:38 pm - Germantown, MD
Someone posted about this (not the exact quote but the protein breaking down) earlier. I think, like someone *****sponded to it said, it's a myth. A lot of the same people say you can't heat protein either because it denatures it. Well, it DOES denature but the denaturing does not make the protein unusable. Think about the white part of an egg. Cooking it makes it turn white and solid, that's denaturing, but it still has the exact same amount of protein it had before it cooked. Just like the difference between cooked and raw fish or chicken.

I meant to do a web search for any evidence this is true. After all, if it is true, then maybe people aren't getting the full benefit of their ready made protein drinks either?
Hailey D.
on 11/9/10 6:35 am - Longmont, CO
Thanks for adding to this Jeanette. I really don't know how much truth there is to this, but after investigating a lil further on the internet, there is a lot of information about not premixing protein drinks because it starts to degrade quickly. Certainly something worth looking into since protein is such an important part of the diet. And lets face it, we all spend a lot of money on it lol! Who knows?!
sleeve genie
on 11/8/10 12:38 pm - Alhambra, CA
I don't do protein shakes anymore, but when i did, i mixed it in the magic bullet,  then put it in my blender bottle and took to work to drink.  By the time i get to work, and shake the cup the bubbles are gone.  Good Luck,  jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Lionetta
on 11/8/10 2:16 pm - AZ
I use my Magic Bullet. I pour ½ cup unsweetened almond milk and ½ cup ice water into the cup, add the protein powder, and then pulse 3 times for about 2 seconds each. No bubbles at all, and it's smooth as silk.

I add 6 ice cubes once in a while for a frosty shake, but they are ground up into slush before I put the other ingredients in.

With all the different powders out there, there's going to be a variety of answers here. I use Bariatric Advantage most of the time. For quick run and go shakes, I use Premier Protein from Costco. 

HUGS!

HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less. 

Most Active