Too much AIR in the blender protein shakes

dlp5510
on 11/8/10 11:35 am - Houston, TX
 I am 5 days post-op and tonight I blended a protein shake in the blender.  Now, I've tried my bullet, vitamixer and regualar blender and all of them whip in TOO much air.  I shouldn't have tasted, now I'm filled w/ air about to explode!  Had to take the abdominal binder and bra off!  I then used my "blender ball" and mixed up a 4th drink, but now wayyyy to full to even sip on it.  Saving it for tomorrow.  Any ides???
Thanks for your suggestions,
Dana
Dana   
For I know the plans I have for you, Declares the Lord...Jeremiah 29:11
I have the strength to face all conditions through Christ Jesus...Philippians 4:13 

lunarose
on 11/8/10 11:43 am - Newhall, CA
Dana,

I have the same problem. I usually leave the shake in the fridge for about half an hour before drinking so most of the bubbles are gone.

Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/10 11:45 am - Rockville, MD
 you can try to make the protein drinks ahead of time (couple hours before drinking it) and then let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to get the air out

i try to use my blender ball as much as i can with regular flavored protein. but if i want something added (coffee, fruit, etc) i have to use my blender. so i just let it sit in the fridge to get the air to subside
Lisa R.
on 11/8/10 11:47 am - Dallas, TX
Dana,

I mix my protein either the night before or first thing in the morning and put it in the fridge so it's icey cold and bubbles and dissipate. I usually have a cup of herbal tea first thing in the morning, wait thirty minutes and then just use a spoon to stir the protein real good. Lots less bubbles! I always have a bead on how much protein I have to go every time I open the frig door and peek at my shaker.

Hope that helps,

Lisa

5 ft. 0 in.  HW/242      SW/236     CW/216    GW/120?

dlp5510
on 11/8/10 11:52 am - Houston, TX
 Hi Lisa.  Question?  Tell me what you mean when you say you mix up your protein the night before?  Keep in refig. for later, I like the idea of knowing and being able to add it to stuff?  Do you use flavored protein?  Tell me the scoop!
Dana
Dana   
I have the strength to face all conditions through Christ Jesus...Philippians 4:13 

Lisa R.
on 11/8/10 12:39 pm - Dallas, TX
On November 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM Pacific Time, dlp5510 wrote:
 Hi Lisa.  Question?  Tell me what you mean when you say you mix up your protein the night before?  Keep in refig. for later, I like the idea of knowing and being able to add it to stuff?  Do you use flavored protein?  Tell me the scoop!
Dana
I do use flavored protein - the Unjury Chocolate & Vanilla which mix with milk.  I use the Borden 2% Hi Protein milk because it's just a little bit less protein shake I have to drink. LOL!  But I mix it up the night before/early in the morning and, Voila!, ready to go. 

Unjury also has a Strawberry Sorbet flavor which I mix with Oikos yogurt and it tastes GREAT! Oikos is higher in protein (and lower in carbs I think) than Fage.

There is an unflavored and chicken broth flavored Unjury product as well.  I have put the unflavored in creamed soups but find it frustrates me a bit because I like my food ultra hot (heat hot). A scoop of protein adds enough bulk to soup that it takes me FOREVER to fini**** and by the time I fini****hell by the time I finish anything it's either too cold or my cold stuff is too warm.

That's the scoop on Unjury and protein in my house. I haven't tried any other protein 'cause I love this so much!

Lisa

dlp5510
on 11/8/10 11:22 pm - Houston, TX
 Thanks for the great tip.  How many grams are you drinking a day?
Dana   

Lisa R.
on 11/9/10 3:54 am - Dallas, TX
50 grams each day.  Not much compared to some, I know but I'm only 5 ft tall if I really stretch.

Your post got me thinking last night about getting inventive with protein shakes since I still have a ways to go.  Think I may start adding a little....hmmm....instant coffee or spoonful of pumpkin with a shake of spice?  I'm not sure but I need to mix it up a bit.

kakora
on 11/8/10 12:09 pm - FL
 I use my vitamix on lowest speed--no bubbles
Karen (soon)

jovigrl62
on 11/8/10 12:28 pm - Scroggins, TX
I so glad I saw this post. I'm having my sleeve on the 18th a week from this thursday and I was wondering about that very thing. I was given a persription for 40mg of nexium oral and told also to use gas-x strips. Do u know if that works? or should I get another blender.Mine only has 1 speed. Sorry for the hi-jack.
Letha
Let's get SKINNY together!                
Most Active