maintenance with Dr. C

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/10 7:38 am
Hi everyone,
Just came home from seeing my favorite doctor.  I wanted to share some of the answers I got about maintaining my weight. 
1) I can eat 3-5 times a day if I want as long as it is planned and not grazing.  I must keep an eye on my calorie intake for life.
2) Wait at least 3-6 months from goal weight before getting plastics.
3)My stomach should stop stretching around the one year mark.  What you have at that point is what you will have for life.  That should be around 4-6 ounces of dense protein.  You can stretch it further but you would really have to work at it.
4)Only about 10% of his patients with VSG have significant regain.
5)Although some people have a bounce back of 5-10 lbs., most people do not.
6) Avoid thinking that you are now done, come up with a plan that works and stay with it for life. 
7) Most people that regain, do so because of liquid calories and grazing.  Draw your own conclusions.
8) He told me that based on my progress, he thinks I will be able to maintain on 1,200-1,400 cals.  But he wants me to up my calories slowly.  For now, I will be aiming at around 850-900 cals. and I will continue to chart my progress. 
9) He wants to see me again in two months unless I drop to 100 lbs.

That's the update.  I hope it helps.
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/10 7:45 am
Great information, Elina. Thanks for sharing all of that! 
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/10 7:58 am - Canada
Thanks for posting!   That is so helpful!!
Just Janie
on 3/17/10 8:15 am, edited 3/17/10 8:17 am - Vero Beach, FL
Thank you so much Elina. I am so happy to hear about how much he says the stomach will (or actually will not) stretch. With all the posts on the main board, you start second guessing everything, and some people make it sound like there will be no restriction and no way you can maintain your weight loss. I also like hearing that only 10% regain and there isn't necessarily bounce back. Thank you so much for sharing. This is what I thought, but it is nice to have your doctor verify it.

Goal reached in 4 1/2 months.   15 pounds below goal  SW 216.5/GW150/CW133
     I LOVE MY SLEEVE

abejita
on 3/17/10 8:21 am - dallas, TX
I was just about to post the same thankyou, Janie!  I've been thinking about stretching too, with all those posts.

mary

I'm 5'4"      SW 220 / CW 130 / GW 115
diane S.
on 3/17/10 9:24 am
great report E. Thanks so much for sharing. d

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Pat32010
on 3/17/10 9:44 am
Elina,

Thanks for sharing.  Your post are always helpful and informative. 
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/10 10:54 am - Humboldt, CA
 Excellent! Sounds like he is sticking to the same story over the years ...that is especially pleasing to me...
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/10 11:22 am - Philly, PA and New Windsor, NY
Sounds like a great visit, and thanks for the info- it is interesting to know that my tummy is probably at its permanent size...I have been waiting for more stretch, but we will see. I can only eat about 3 oz of dense protein though (usually around 2)...so maybe I am just on a slow curve, lmao... Thanks for the update!
kayebadoe
on 3/17/10 2:16 pm
VSG on 08/11/08 with
 I'm with you Fawn 2 to 3 oz but mostly 2. I am also glad to know that my tummy is where it is gonna stay. My body seems to like the weight I am at now even though most of my friends and family want me to gain. 
I don't have any regrets, they can talk about me plenty when I'm gone....Bob Dylan