Is there a safe hot chocolate to drink during clear liquid stage?

debtfree
on 7/4/08 1:50 am - OK
I am having trouble getting in all the liquid.  Water just doesn't go down that well and I'm getting tired of flavored water.  The broth does great and feels good going down.  I was wondering if there is a hot chocolate that would be "legal" during the first two weeks out.  My Dr. has us on clear liquids.

190 lbs lost
VSG 07/2008
lower body lift 10/2010
upper body lift 11/2011

AnnieZ
on 7/4/08 2:02 am, edited 7/4/08 2:03 am
VSG on 06/06/07 with
If you see through it, you can have it!  Unfortunately, hot chocolate can't be seen through.  Try adding popsicles & Jello.

pilotphil
on 7/4/08 2:16 am, edited 7/4/08 2:38 am - Coral Springs, FL

I have one of these every morning and sometimes again at night if I'm behind on protein. Hot Chocolate It has 15g protein and 3g carbs.  It's not exactly clear but neither are protein shakes. EDIT:  I didn't realize you were 2 days post-op.  No hot chocolate for you!

(Ticker includes 22 lbs. lost pre-op)

debtfree
on 7/4/08 2:58 am - OK

I remembered seeing you post something awhile back and was hoping you would chime in!  Don't worry I won't go drinking now but want to order some for when I move to the mushie stage.  Thanks!

190 lbs lost
VSG 07/2008
lower body lift 10/2010
upper body lift 11/2011

Shelly H.
on 7/4/08 2:22 am - Norman, OK

I'm sorry, Amy, but even the sugar free, dacaf hot chocolate isn't clear liquids. Try popsicles to help out. Maybe try warming some Crystal Lite and seeing if that goes down a bit easier. Also, try increasing your broth servings. 

And, Happy 4th of July! : )

Blessings and Best Wishes! Shelly

I'm a 52.5 yr. old female with chronic illness ... exercising and riding a bike daily! : )

debtfree
on 7/4/08 2:59 am - OK
That is a great idea Shelly!  I never thought about heating up some crystal light.  I could put some of the lemon flavor in an sip from a tea cup and try to pretend I am at a tea party. 

190 lbs lost
VSG 07/2008
lower body lift 10/2010
upper body lift 11/2011

AmandaLP
on 7/4/08 3:15 am - TX
VSG on 12/20/07 with
Nope, clear liquids does not include milk. You can have tea

Once you are on "full liquids" you can have hot chocolate, and its awesome! There are several low carb/no sugar kinds of hot chocolate on the market. I made mine with high protein milk. But, only on full liquids.
FatGirlShrinking.com , my blog :-)
mb N.
on 7/4/08 8:57 am - San Antonio, TX
Broth has already gotten boring for me and I am only 9 days post op.  I found some Kosher matzoball soup mix today in my freezer and made it (without the matzo balls since I am still on clear liquids until next week).  It was so much more flavorful than the Swansons I had been drinking!  Try it and let me know... Marjorie

Marjorie

AmandaLP
on 7/4/08 9:00 am - TX
VSG on 12/20/07 with
Do yourself a favor and make real broth. Not only does the gelatin have protein, it has some fat in it, both of which are far more satiating.

I made it through clear liquids with turkey broth, and turkey broth made into italian sausage soup (without the sausage,b ut the sausage flavored the broth oh so wonderfully).
FatGirlShrinking.com , my blog :-)
Rachel B.
on 7/4/08 9:02 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with
How about some SF chocolate flavoring from Toriani or Davinci (the syrups are clear!).  It's not quite as satisfying as say a hersheys type syrup (beware, toriani DOES have a SF hershey style choc syrup, but I'm talking about the tall bottles of clear syrups), but you could add it to something warmed up, or cold...

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Most Active