Recent Posts

Joyce P.
on 4/2/15 8:38 am - Halifax, VA
DS on 11/07/14
Topic: Halifax, VA

I am looking for a WLS buddy that lives close to Halifax, Virginia. I had the Duodenal Switch on 11/7/2014. I am struggling with carbs and sweets. It would great to have a buddy or a friend to hang out with that knows what I am going through.

Joyce P
Halifax, Virginia

Kathy S.
on 3/9/15 1:23 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Topic: OH2015 Early Bird Registration Closes March 27th

Hurry, don't miss out on OH's event filled fun, education and a chance to meet fellow members of your WLS community.

SAVE NOW WITH EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kim Gyurina, OH Staff
on 3/6/15 2:39 am
DS on 09/27/23
Topic: Early Bird Gets the Savings

Are you thinking of going to the #2015 ObesityHelp National Conference in Raleigh, North Carolina?  Not sure yet?  Read what other attendees say about going to an OH Conference.

Check out the 4-1-1 for the Conference.  Buy your ticket now so you don't miss out on the savings. 

Kim Gyurina, Event Manager

missni130
on 2/25/15 10:07 am - Arlington , VA
with
Topic: RE: Anyone use Matthew Fitzer at Virginia Bariatric Surgery Center

Hello..I used Matthew Fitzer for my gastric bypass on January 26th. So I'm exactly 4 weeks post op. I feel like he did a good job on the surgery but after the surgery you only see his assistant. I saw him only once after my surgery  (day after ) and only keep communication with the assistant. But she does answer anything that I need to know and stay in constant contact. I'm guessing since he is the only doctor in the practice  (other than his assistant ) he can't talk to every one post op. But other than that, yes I would refer him. He was very nice and was informative before my surgery. 

NielahGastric Bypass on 1/26/15

SW:239  CW:212

lancert82
on 2/16/15 8:55 am - Powhatan, VA
Topic: Trying to find out information

Hi! I'm 33 and i'm trying for a third time to find out if I am covered for surgery. In the past I had Aetna and then Cigna through my job. After calling I found out that my employer did not carry the rider. It's been at least 2 years since I last tried. I now have a new job and individual insurance. I'm hoping I can try again. Does anyone have information on Anthem Healthkeepers?

heatherb1121
on 2/2/15 10:37 am - MANASSAS, VA
Topic: Kaiser Surgery Questions

Hi all! 

I have been a lurker for years- however now thanks to Obamacare I finally have an insurance who will pay for my bariatric surgery. I am 26, female and have sleep apnea- as well as weigh about 375lbs. I am highly interested in getting a VSG- it is something I have been pursuing for at least the last 7 years.  I am meeting with my primary care doctor thru Kaiser for the first time on Wednesday (2/4) but I have a few questions for you guys-

1)What kind of weight loss programs do the doctors have you do? I have taken phentermine in the past but it was not for very long. 

2) Does Kaiser in the Northern VA area have their own surgeons? I read they may be contracted out to other (Non-network) doctors. If this is the case- I still only have to do my standard copays correct? 

3) Any other tips,experiences with Kaiser?

Kathy S.
on 1/26/15 6:39 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Topic: The moment you've all been waiting for . . . OH2015 Location Announcement!

And the winner is....

http://events.obesityhelp.com/

Not sure you are going?  Check out the video from last years conference and you will see what you missed.  BOOK NOW

We hope to see you all there

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sarahlicious
on 1/22/15 4:50 am - Portsmouth, OH
Topic: Are you attending #OH2015 in Raleigh, NC? Join the FB event page!

Will you be attending the 2015 ObesityHelp Conference in Raleigh, NC on October 16 & 17?

Join the #OH2015 event page on Facebook to keep up with the latest event information and to meet others who will be attending! 

Join us on Facebook!

See you there!!!

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

chrissylyn
on 1/1/15 8:01 am
Topic: RE: Kaiser surgeries... Anyone?

Thank you so much for the info Muse76. I am looking into getting surgery. I will be talking to a Dr. soon hopefully when I can get an appointment. When I had Kaiser a few years ago, the Dr. said that Kaiser doesn't like to refer their patients to surgery so she dropped that subject quick. But now I aim to go back and try and talk to a Dr. about this. I can't continue this rollercoaster I am on. Can you keep me posted on how the Drs. are with you and how the surgery went? When do you go for the actual surgery? I hope all is well, and goes well.

Best wishes

Chrissy

Muse76
on 12/31/14 8:34 am - Falls Church, VA
Topic: RE: Kaiser surgeries... Anyone?

Kaiser Mid-Atlantic, at least in the DC/MD/VA area doesn't have it's own bariatric surgeons.  Currently, they've contracted with the bariatric program at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring, MD.  Their surgeons are Dr. Cantor and Dr. McArthur.  Dr. Cantor has more experience, as he's been in practice longer than Dr. McArthur.  There is a facebook forum "Holy Cross WLS" where you can ask questions from pre and post-op patients.    I'm pre-op, so can't give any personal experience with either surgeon yet.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views