Recent Posts

shoutjoy
on 6/15/16 2:36 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: RE: Confession

Thank you.  I am 16 years out mini-gastric bypass.  It is a very strong and powerful surgery with excellent results.  I know everyone things their own procedure is the best so I am part of the club. :o)

Anyway, I'll try to be on more of the boards in the future.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

cdoss
on 6/5/16 5:38 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone in SW VA?

I'm scheduled to have the sleeve on June 27.

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/16 5:30 pm
Topic: RE: Confession

There are some of us here that are newer and would love to read the words of wisdom someone 16 yrs out has to share. I am sorry you had a bad experience here. We are not all that way and if you'd like to share I for one would enjoy your words..

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/16 5:26 pm

My stomach is larger than yours will be with RNY or the sleeve but far smaller than before. I eat pretty much the same way one would with other surgeries but more by my own choice than because I was told to. I find the higher protein diet does help me fuller (satiated) longer than a smaller than pre-surgery amount of a "more normal" diet. I am surprised and intrigued by the fact that in Europe and I believe possibly Australia they don't recommend that high protein diet.  How long till you might get your surgery?

cdoss
on 6/4/16 7:44 pm

Thanks Liz!

I'm glad to know that you've heard good things about Carilion' s bariatric program. I've been pleased with their friendliness and efficiency so far. I am 54 yo, 5'2" and 254 pounds.

With the plication do you follow the same diet guidelines as an RNY or sleeve?

cdoss
on 6/4/16 7:36 pm

Hi Terri!

I used to work for Tech. I tried to get the lap band surgery when I worked there, so I certainly know about that long, 12 month wait that Anthem requires. I made it through the wait and all the tests and phone classes and then was not recommended for surgery due to some significant depression I was experiencing at the time. I was pretty devastated at the time, but in the end it was a blessing because I believe they have all but stopped doing Lapband because of low success rates.

My employer now has Aetna insurance and the wait was only six months. It flew by.

Your weight loss goal is very close to mine. I'll be your guinea pig!

:-)

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/16 5:03 pm

I have only heard good things about that hospital's bariatric program. My husband has had several surgeries done there so I am familiar with it.

I have read of people losing that type pf weight with plication on European sites, though more slowly than some surgeries. But we all choose what we are comfortable with and  can get where we are in the world. I am sure you will do fine and hope the plans progress as you hope they will. The delays can be so frustrating once you have decided this is what you want to do.

Terri70
on 6/3/16 4:20 pm

It's with a doctor an the Radford hospital (Carilion New River Community Hospital). I hope I can get in.

Your wls sounds interesting but wouldn't work on me. I have over 130lbs to lose. :(

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/16 4:13 pm

Gastric plication is a procedure in which basically they fold your stomach up and the folds are stitched inside the stomach and take up space so your stomach capacity is far less. It is a  minimally invasive procedure done laproscopically. It is used far more in Europe than in this country. The Cleveland Clinic was one of the first places to do it about 6-7 yrs ago. Lots of info on line if you find it of interest.

If you are having your sleep study done in Blacksburg/Cbrg the wait is forever as the Dr is very busy. My husband just had one there. I wish you luck getting a cancellation.

I had my surgery last July. I don't ever expect or want to be really thin but I have lost 60 lbs and am happy. I can eat enough to know I have eaten and not have any malnutritoin types issues but no longer have that chronic hunger type feeling you have when you diet.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2277 views