Recent Posts

shoutjoy
on 8/4/13 7:07 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Drive Thru Tools

“Sometimes it's just a 'drive-thru' kind of day. Here's how to not drive up your weight.”

We know cooking healthy meals at home is the best, but occasionally you just need something fast...or something that you don't have to make. If you know you are going to hit the fast food lane once in a while, make some drive-thru rules.
1) No super-sizing. Whatever you get, make it a small.
2) No fries. Many places offer great alternatives like fruit.
3) Keep it simple. Watch "toppings" like mayo, bacon, and special sauces.
By following your rules, you can avoid undoing the progress on your healthy goals.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

brwneyedgurl
on 8/1/13 7:40 am - Stafford , VA
RNY on 09/28/11 with
Topic: RE: Dr. Krieger Relocating This Fall

It is with mixed emotion I say congratulations. I was scheduled for a extended tummy tuck with you for early Oct when I got the call from Leslie advising me you were closing your practice and heading for Ohio. If I am unable to find a new surgeon in this area that I feel is as talented and compassionate as you then I may be headed to the Cleveland Clinic after the New Year to see you. Best wishes on your new adventure!

Brwneyedgurl

shoutjoy
on 7/30/13 7:44 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: It's time to be an under-achiever

“It's time to be an under-achiever. Here's how to be glad if you're considered below average.”

You usually don't have to work harder to be considered below average, but when it comes to your weight it may very well be just what the doctor ordered. Back in 1960, the average weight for a woman was 140.2 pounds. Today, the average is up to 164.3 pounds. Other things that have increased since the 1960s: the amount of time people watch TV and the number of fast food restaurants at our disposal. Hmmm. Maybe what we need to work at is driving past the drive-thru's and turning off the TV to achieve our weight loss goals.

shoutjoy
on 7/29/13 8:33 am - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Kids Will Be Kids

“Kids will be kids. Here's how to act like one.”

Have you ever said "I'm too old for that?" If you are past the age of nine or so, you probably don't skip anymore. In addition, you probably haven't tried doing a cartwheel, standing on your head, or walking like a crab in quite some time. Swinging by your knees from the monkey bars would probably result in a trip to the E.R. That said, having a mindset of what "young people" do and what "mature" people do can set the stage for inactivity. Instead of thinking you can't, why not try? You may still be able to jump on that pogo stick, ride a bike, and play hopscotch. If you don't want to do those things for fear of looking childish, then act like a child in another way: try something new. Find some new activity to test drive: yoga, dancing, or taekwondo. Stay young at heart, young in mind, and your body will likely follow.

shoutjoy
on 7/23/13 7:42 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Cook with some wow

“You want to eat better, but healthy meals are just blah. Here's how to cook up some wow.”

If you think healthy recipes are something your husband will never brag about, you haven't tried the right ones yet. If you are just beginning to eat healthily, it may take you some time to re-educate your palette. Believe it or not, even though you may now think foods with lots of sauces, condiments, gravies, and breading is the best, once you begin eating better, you'll find new ways of enjoying food. Foods that are seasoned with spices, heart healthy fats, and fruit juices to name a few. Make a goal to try at least one new healthy recipe a week. If you don't like it, don't make it again. There are definitely some you won't like, but many more you'll find are really, really fabulous. Yes, even ones your husband and kids will devour

juberry1977
on 7/23/13 9:47 am - NC
Topic: anyone in the hampton roads area know of a good psychiatrist who has experience with wls patients?
I had roux n y GB surgery in November 2008. I went from 328 to 160. However.. I'm having issues absorbing my psych meds and really need to see a psychiatrist who knows about wls patients..malabsorption etc.
shoutjoy
on 7/21/13 7:27 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: RE: Dr. Krieger Relocating This Fall

That is great!  The reason I say this is because I am wls patient 13 years out. I work at a Curves and I am Cleveland Clinic Certified in Curves Complete.  The only problem is, we can't follow this meal plan.  It would be great if you could help them develop a meal plan that we can work with. 

shoutjoy
on 7/21/13 7:25 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: You...happier

“You - only happier.”

A recent study found that most people want the same thing: happiness. How do we get happy in our lives? Do we wait for the happiness fairy to sprinkle us with happy dust or plan for the day the happiness stork delivers a bundle filled with smiles on our door step? Sorry, no. We must figure out what will make us happy and then go out and get it. We've figured out that being healthier will make us happier, so we workout and we eat better. Not so miraculously, we feel better about ourselves...and happier. Now just expand on that. Look at your happiness factor in your relationships, religion, job, being creative, etc. Focus on one and a time and see what you can do to improve your happiness quotient.

Mitchel Krieger
on 7/19/13 6:33 am - Fairfax, VA
Topic: Dr. Krieger Relocating This Fall

Dear Patient,

It is with mixed emotions that I want to inform you all that I am relocating from Northern Virginia, and joining the clinical faculty at the Cleveland Clinic. It has been a privilege to know all of you and be so warmly welcomed into the bariatric community. I will continue to practice plastic surgery at this new venue, offering bariatric plastic surgery care just as I have for the past years. I hope to see many of you again. 

Respectfully,

Mitchel Krieger, MD, FACS

shoutjoy
on 7/16/13 7:34 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Temptations

“You have an event to attend where temptations will be in view. Here's how to see past them.”

You can already see the beautiful buffet spread lined with everything you'd love to indulge in. Trays of food will float past with tempting smells. Drinks will flow. How on earth will you get through it without completely ruining your healthy plans? Use your imagination. As you imagine all of the food on the buffet table, see yourself walking past it. See the trays of food going by and watch yourself appreciating their interesting shapes and smells but not taking one. See the drinks and imagine the one that you'll choose (that is lower in calories) and how you'll walk around with your drink while you smile, talk, and have fun. By playing it out before hand, you'll be able to create a future you'll be proud of.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views