Recent Posts

Sara S.
on 3/10/10 8:19 pm - Harrisonburg, VA
Topic: RE: Stinky Poops/Gas!! I can't take it anymore!!!
I have these issues all the time too. Right now it's much worse because I'm taking potassium supplements and the side effects are--you guessed it--severe gas, nausea, and diarrhea.

I had the DS so I know with my surgery, foods I eat greatly effect the severity. The richer the food (carbs), the worse the gas. This is because our food does not get completely digested/absorbed which provides for normal bacteria in the gut to have a rich diet. Bacteria give off gas. Also, with the DS, a high fat diet will create more frequent and looser stools. So there's the why of it. Although RNY probably doesn't work exactly the same way, I'd say that the factors are along the same line.

As for the solution, you can monitor closely what you are eating, but we all eat things that are going to cause this. I've found that I just use a little bit of everything since no one thing is a solution. I use probiotics to replenish the good bacteria in the gut. I have some beano before I eat and some gas-x after I eat. I use Devrom to try to control the smell, which doesn't always help. So for those times when I must poop and it's stinky, I keep one of those small spray cans of Ozium that fit well in the pocket and a small spray will eliminate odors. If the gas gets really out of control and painful, my surgeon will prescribe flagyl, an antibiotic that targets the bacteria in the gut.

Hope this is helpful.

Lynn415
on 3/10/10 3:36 am - Chantilly, VA
Topic: RE: Wednesday back on track check in
Decided I needed a "mental health morning" so called in to work (I'm a finance tech at a public high school) and told them I'd be in around 10 AM.  So had a leisurely shower and cup of "protein coffee" at a much more leisurely pace than usual.
B:  cottage cheese with fruit
L:  1 slice thin crust cheese pizza
D:  probably a tuna salad
S:  protein shake
Surgery 4/15/09 - 294 lb.
At goal   2/15/10 - 160 lb.
Currently:  ... and for the rest of my life:  Figuring out maintenance.
Lynn415
on 3/10/10 2:56 am - Chantilly, VA
Topic: RE: FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 2 YEARS!!!!!!
Good for you!  That persistence will help you after surgery, too, when you run into the occassional stall that we all experience.  Best of luck and keep posting so we know how you're doing!
Surgery 4/15/09 - 294 lb.
At goal   2/15/10 - 160 lb.
Currently:  ... and for the rest of my life:  Figuring out maintenance.
prissy25
on 3/9/10 11:37 pm - Barboursville, VA
Topic: Meeting Announcment New Location

FFP

Meet & Greet

Every fourth

Saturday….

@ 12:00, UVA

Dining Conference

Room (1) main floor

By the cafeteria past the lobby

Entrance going towards

Elevators.

ALL WEIGHTLOSS Post-Pre ops

For more information Email Me

[email protected]

VAFFPsLogo.jpg FFP's picture by in2lights
OH Support Group Leader - [email protected]
Believing in yourself makes it so much easier in supporting those who need your friendship, love, and support,so Believe in yourself First.
Charlottesville, Virginia VA FFP's Meet's every 4th Sat.

Tam
on 3/9/10 10:11 pm - Richmond, VA
Good morning!  WEll, yesterday, just as I feared, I got sick.  Had a temp of 104 and just felt lousy all day.  I did make my appointment (had no choice in that matter!) and came home and crawled back in the bed.  I had very little exercise and no nutrition other than my vitamins.  Today I am feeling somewhat better but still not 100%.  I bailed on the gym this morning and instead just went for a run in the neighborhood.  On the books for today is laundry, house cleaning, dinner with my man and who knows what else...lol.  I don't think I'll be hitting the gym this afternoon in hopes of feeling 100% instead.  I am going to try for a walk this afternoon if I can.

am-cuppas, protein and vits in
b-banana
s-protein drink
l-tuna sandwich
s-protein drink
d-not sure since we are planning on going out

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

virtly
on 3/9/10 9:29 pm - va
RNY on 02/11/04 with
Morning Courtney and other Virginians,

I have been really busy but haven't lost my determination to being on track.

I will be in Vegas until Monday for work and will continue to stay focused.
Breakfast- oatmeal w/walnuts
Lunch - salad w/boiled egg
Dinner - hopefully something with high protein.

I have packed workout clothes.

Raven
staceycarse
on 3/9/10 9:17 pm
Topic: sentara careplex hospital
Has anyone had surgery at Sentara Careplex in Hampton Va.  If so, what was your experience.  Looking for any positives or negatives about this hospital.  I'm scheduled for RNY there on March 23rd and would appreciate some feedback.  Also, important things to bring to hospital.  Thanks.

Ms Court
on 3/9/10 8:50 pm - Remington, VA
Topic: Wednesday back on track check in
Morning!  Tammy is sounds like you are rocking with your house stuff & exercise.  Wish I had the time and energy to do the same, lol.  Had a good night last night.  Got home, enjoyed a cuppa decaf on the deck as the sunset & worked on homework while hubby fixed dinner.  Then we watched AI and hit the bed a bit early.  Having some issues with the dog who thinks it is time to get up, eat & play at 3 a.m.  Needless to say the interrupted sleep is not good for me or the hubby.  No real plans tonight.  Home for dinner, walk with the dog & who knows what else.  Hope you all have a great day!

a.m. cuppas & protein are in
B - english muffin & yogurt
S - banana
L - leftover spaghetti
S - granola bar
D - not sure yet but craving a salad......

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

prissy25
on 3/9/10 8:40 am - Barboursville, VA
Topic: RE: New pics uploaded - Finally!
Congrats Tina work well done!!!!
 VAFFPsLogo.jpg FFP's picture by in2lights
OH Support Group Leader - [email protected]
Believing in yourself makes it so much easier in supporting those who need your friendship, love, and support,so Believe in yourself First.
Charlottesville, Virginia VA FFP's Meet's every 4th Sat.

Lifeski
on 3/8/10 11:00 pm
Topic: RE: FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 2 YEARS!!!!!!
Congrats!  When I got my approval I am sure my neighbors thought I had won the Publishers Clearinghouse sweepstakes. Good luck!
Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views