Recent Posts

shoutjoy
on 9/1/13 7:19 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: You want to work out but it's painful

“You want to work out but it's painful. Here's how to avoid the pity party. ”

If you are over a certain age, sometimes you just hurt. Muscles ache, joints don't want to bend as far, and just trying to tie your shoe feels risky. Those with fibromyalgia, MS, and other debilitating conditions are at the mercy of the disease and have to ride the wave of what pains the day brings. Injuries and illness can also put a wrench in our workout schedule or keep us from working to full potential. When we hurt, it's easy to chuck the workout, stay home and feel sorry for ourselves. In the olden days people in pain stayed in bed and they gave them a leather strap to bite on when the pain got unbearable. Sorry, but it's time to pitch the strap. Lying around will not make anything better, but is likely to make it a whole lot worse. First, talk to your doctor. Find out if you can (or should) be working out. What is too much? Can you push yourself? What are your limits? Studies are showing that for fibromyalgia sufferers, exercise actually reduces flare-ups and severity. If your doctor okays you for exercise, fight against the desire to skip your workout and you may be surprised how much less pain you're in down the line.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

we3crews
on 8/31/13 8:56 am
Topic: Medicaid Question

I have been wanting this WLS for many years. I was approved in 2010 by Anthem when I worked for a local insurance company but was unable to have the surgery because I found out I was pregnant. I struggle with my weight and it is now causing my knees, feet and back to be in extreme pain not to mention the shortness of breath. I no longer have Anthem due to being laid off and now have Medicaid... so my question is does anyone know what Medicaid requires before they give approval for WLS. 

anninva
on 8/28/13 3:26 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: RE: New MeetUp group for WLS folks in DC metro area!
Thanks!! Clearly new at this! Here is link w name!

http://www.meetup.com/Weight-Loss-Surgery-Support-A-Whole-New-Life-DMV/

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

shoutjoy
on 8/27/13 7:43 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: RE: New MeetUp group for WLS folks in DC metro area!

What is the name of the meetup so people can look it up.

shoutjoy
on 8/27/13 7:42 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Welcome to someday

“You know you need to start thinking about your health, someday. Welcome to someday.”

Anne Frank wrote, "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." The same is true for changing ourselves. We don't have to wait until the kids are older, until our jobs are less demanding, until the weather gets better, or until the rest of the nacho chips are gone. All it takes is a decision to "do" and then the doing of it. Tomorrow never comes so stop waiting for it. Start on your plan to change your life today. Once you start, you'll be amazed at how freeing it is to finally be on the path instead of waiting to begin.

anninva
on 8/27/13 8:03 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: New MeetUp group for WLS folks in DC metro area!
Hi folks! Just started a MeetUp group in DC metro area for WLS folks at all stages!

Never done this before!! Lets have fun and a little support!!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

shoutjoy
on 8/25/13 7:44 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Be Yourself!

“Be yourself! Here's how to be the self that you really want to be.”

What motivates you? If you're like many, seeing others succeed can be a biggie. It may not even be that they are moving toward goals that you are after, yet the fact that they are goal "getters" is inspirational. How many of us look at people gasping for air as they climb the stairs and think, "Wow, I hope I can be like that some day?" or look at the person going back the fifth time at the buffet and think, "They can sure put away the food...good for them." No one. We want to aspire to be confident, successful, healthy, and happy. If you're looking to improve on yourself, find out what goals you need to work toward. Thinking about who you admire and why you admire them may help you find your path to the real you.

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/13 5:47 am - VA
Topic: RE: Trying to get in shape?

So very true; but we all have to start some where. I needed structure, after i lost weight so i start doing beachbody products and met a coach. I'm currently doing T25, i love it; it give me a schedule to follow and i still get out and walk and jog, swim etc.... I need that. 

thank you for post keeps me focus!!!

Nicol

Sandy69
on 8/22/13 7:26 am - Fort Lewis, WA
Topic: In search of a good Hospital for my tummy tuck/Military TRICARE/Medically Necessary

Hello everybody, the Military just moved us to Fort Lee, VA and now I am trying to find a good Hospital that can take care of my medically necessary tummy tuck.

I had my Gastric Bypass in 2011 at the Madigan Army Medical Hospital in WA and before leaving the area I had an appointment with my surgeon. He told me that I could receive a tummy tuck without charge since it is medically necessary to remove all the  lose skin that I have (at least 15 to 18 pounds worth).

I am starting to have a lot of back pain and I need to get it done as soon as possible.

I am usually pretty scared when it comes to Hospitals so I am looking for a Clinic/Hospital where the staff incl. the Doctors are friendly and have good bedside manors. Of course the Hospital has to except TRICARE as well!

Can anybody on this message board recommend a good Hospital and a very good surgeon?

Thank you for any help in this matter!

shoutjoy
on 8/20/13 7:54 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Trying to get in shape?

“Trying to get in shape? Here's the secret.”

Well, it's really not a secret, but a truth. Many companies that want to sell you magic weight loss pills, shakes, or a "program" don't want you to know the truth, but the truth it is. If you want to be healthy and be at a healthy weight, you have to do two things:
1) Eat well the majority of the time (more broccoli than burgers, more carrots than carrot cake.)
2) Burn more calories than you eat. (That means being active: walking, working out with resistance..., swimming, biking, hiking, etc.)
It means figuring out how to achieve that. It means some sacrifice and some work. A little (maybe a lot) of will power, trying new recipes, forgoing sauces, fried foods, and desserts more often. In other words, nothing is free. As Dolly Parton said, "If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain." Just remember the rain won't last forever, the rainbow will eventually show up. You just need to believe that you can weather it all and that the rainbow is worth it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views