Recent Posts

shoutjoy
on 10/20/13 7:42 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to keep your head above water

“Your schedule has changed and you feel overwhelmed. Here's how to keep your head above water.”

We all know life can get pretty busy sometimes. If there are days that you have to decide on working out or getting only five hours of sleep, you should choose to sleep. If this is a usual thing, you seriously need to change your life. Using up every waking hour and a few sleeping hours to deal with things in your life will leave you stressed out and drain your body. If your health, muscle tone, and happiness are suffering, you need to make adjustments. You may feel like you're not getting anywhere, but just treading water. Even if you can't see a way out for a few months, having a plan to make a change at a specific deadline will give you staying power. In the meantime, if you can fit in a workout at least a few days a week, that will give you some mental "down time" and will keep your body more resilient for your hectic schedule.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

shoutjoy
on 10/15/13 7:32 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to put the cart before the horse

“You don't feel like doing anything because you don't like how you look or it's too hard for you to do things. Here's how to put the cart before the horse.”

You tell yourself that once you get in shape you'll start to do things: fun things, adventurous things. You need to start doing those things now. The sooner you start living your life and doing new things the faster you'll reach your goals. Imagine instead of an evening of TV watching you go for a walk with friends, or bowling, or join a volleyball team. How many more calories will you burn doing that? Plus, instead of reminiscing the next day with coworkers about the popular TV show, you can talk about how you won the archery competition or got kicked in the head sparring in taekwondo. The sooner you realize life is worth living, not later but now, you'll be closer to your health and fitness (and life) goals than you can imagine

shoutjoy
on 10/13/13 8:19 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to stop believing that myth

“Your life is busy with family and job so you must put them first. Here's how to stop believing that myth.”

When you give 100% of yourself it's likely you'll end up 100% annoyed, 100% stressed, and 100% ready to lose it. You're also likely to eat well about never and exercise just about as often because you couldn't possibly take time to do something so selfish. Wrong. You NEED to find the time, make the time, or steal the time for at least 30 minutes to workout at a minimum of three days per week. Putting yourself first during this half hour can boost your mental well being and make you realize how much better of a person you are to those you are caring for. Making time for yourself makes you a better you all the way around.

Joyce P.
on 10/10/13 6:48 am - Halifax, VA
DS on 11/07/14
Topic: Dr. Rajan Sudan
Are there any patients of Dr. Rajan Sudan from NC in this group that has had surgery recently?

Joyce P
Halifax, Virginia

shoutjoy
on 10/8/13 7:18 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to have more than just good intensions

“You want to improve your shape and your health but just can't seem to get started. Here's how to have more than just good intensions.”

You imagine yourself as a healthier, thinner you. You imagine working out and eating better. You see yourself buying cute clothes. You envision yourself being more active and being more adventurous. Unfortunately, nothing's really changed and your dreams of a better you remain nothing more than that - just dreams. To get past the dream and into reality you need to make a tangible plan of action. If you don't have a map, how do you know how to reach your destination? Your plan has to be specific. Start by writing down not only your goal (I want to lose 50 lbs.), but also why you want to lose it (I'll feel more confident and be able to do all the activities my kids/grandkids want). Now, write out how you'll reach that goal: I'll workout three days a week, go for a walk with my husband/wife/friend on the weekends, eliminate fried foods five days a week, and make healthy dinners three times a week. Now, you'll have to get even more detailed, like which days you'll workout and make a plan to find recipes to make. Now set a date to implement the plan and do it. You can modify the plan if something isn't working as you go. Once you launch your plan is when your dream becomes a reality. Before you know it your goal will be within reach.

H2opia
on 10/8/13 1:36 am
RNY on 08/12/13 with
Topic: Gastroenterologist recommendation, please! (X-post)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a gastroenterologist in the greater Washington D.C. Metro area? I have developed a stricture and am not entirely happy with my current GI doc in Northern VA.

Thanks!

shoutjoy
on 10/6/13 8:46 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how the bumble bee can fly

“You eat fewer calories but still you're not losing weight. Here's why the bumble bee can fly.”

You aren't the first person to question this. It doesn't necessarily make sense, but like bumble bees who are not aerodynamically built for flight and still manage to buzz around, eating more can actually make sense for weight loss. The biggie is breakfast. If you haven't tried this and are still struggling with losing the weight you want, you really don't have a lot to lose by trying it do you? The thought is that by structuring your eating evenly throughout the day, your body doesn't get hungry, it doesn't hunker down in starvation mode, and it loosens its grip on your metabolism. Only eating and exercise will kick your metabolism in gear so the sooner you get moving and get eating in the morning the better. Don't worry if you're not hungry, start with something light: a piece of fruit, whole grain toast with an egg, or a Curves shake is great too. Actually, studies have shown that a hearty (healthy) breakfast of up to 500 calories aids in losing weight significantly. Start your day out right then eat well throughout the day and in no time your weight will take flight.

Trigna
on 10/2/13 11:23 pm
RNY on 11/29/13 with
Topic: RE: Support Group Meeting, Warrenton VA tonight.
Hi! I'm looking for a closer group to me than Reston. This would, literally, be five minutes away for me and perfect! Do you all still meet?
shoutjoy
on 10/1/13 7:43 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Soak up some relaxation

“You know you need some downtime, but that bubble bath just isn't going to happen. Here's another way to soak up some relaxation.”

If you don't have 30 minutes or more to carve out some me time, all is not lost. Sometimes even a five or 10-minute stress buster is all you need. Before you start your next project at work, walk around the block or just stare out the window for a few minutes. If you don't have a window, listen to music, read an online daily devotional or uplifting message. After you put the kids to bed and have done everything for everyone else, knowing you're going to spend 15 minutes reading a good book or stand in a hot shower can be just the ticket to help you unwind.

shoutjoy
on 9/29/13 8:33 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to break out of your shell

“You feel stressed out but tend to clam up instead of sharing your feelings. Here's how to break out of your shell. ”

Sometimes we pull the covers over our heads when we feel overwhelmed but talking with a friend can help you de-stress and truly deal with problems instead of just worrying about them. If you can share issues with your significant other, studies show that just holding hands helps women relax and put things in perspective. The next time you feel yourself closing the world out, pick up the phone or reach out for a comforting hug.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views