Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/10 4:06 am, edited 4/21/10 4:08 am - Yorktown, VA
Topic: RE: Has anyone had revision surgery with Bluepoinit?
Don't forget to look into revising to a DS (duodenal switch) as well.  Make sure you learn about all procedures, their required lifestyle changes, long term stats, etc. before making this decision.  Unfortunately, you already know what it's like to choose a procedure that did not work for you (I"m not saying this is your fault), so I know that you want to make sure you do choose the best possible procedure for you this time around.  It might be RNY, but you can't really make an informed choice until you explore all options (inlcuding DS and VSG).

Also, if your surgeon does not perform the DS (and there is only one in VA who does), then it's pretty typical to get inaccurate information on the procedure (for instance horror stories about diarhhea, etc.).  Dr. Elariny in NOVA does it, but has a hefty out of pocket expense for a lot of people.  I went to Dr. Sudan at Duke in NC (only about 2 hours south of Richmond).

Good luck to you in making this important decision!

ETA:  I see you're actually in southern MD.  There are also DS surgeons up the midatlantic coast in PA, NY and NJ, too.
Emac13
on 4/21/10 12:19 am - Norfolk, VA
Topic: RE: Shape-Ups
I have the reebok version and I LOVE them.  My legs were super tired during the first week of wearing them just doing my regular routine so I could definitely tell they were working!
DElliottMD
on 4/20/10 11:51 pm
Topic: RE: Hernia Surgery
Hi all,

Hate to see Dan put on the spot, describing his symptoms in front of God & everybody!  Therefore, let me just generally tell you guys about hernias, how they present & what we can do about them.

Hernias are just holes in the lining of the abdominal cavity.  They can occur in the diaphragm (hiatal hernias); not all those need to be fixed - UNLESS you get a Lap-Band, in which case they HAVE to be fixed or else the band can go up in the chest. Which isn't good. 

Most hernias occur in the abdominal WALL; some are spontaneous/inherited, like groin and umbilical hernias ("outties" in kids).  Others occur in prior surgical incisions - we call these incisional or ventral hernias.  Hernias are more common in larger incisions than in laparoscopic incisions.

Hernias don't have to be symptomatic - many have no pain or discomfort at all, just a visible LUMP that pops out, especially with straining, coughing etc.  They CAN be painful however, right over the site of the lump usually.  Other symptoms include nausea and vomiting, although that's uncommon.

Hernias should USUALLY be fixed surgically, due to the danger that they can become trapped ("incarceration") or pinched off ("strangulation").  These are dangerous conditions, a twisting off of the intestines like a kinked garden hose.  Generally, the more pain a person has from their hernia, the higher the chance it could lead to incarceration or strangulation, & it's a good idea to seek your surgeon's advice ASAP about getting it fixed.

We can fix hernias both open and laparoscopically, with both suture and with reinforcing mesh (most incisional hernias are fixed with mesh these days).  You and your surgeon should decide on what's best - open, laparoscopic, mesh or not.

Hope this is helpful
David C. Elliott, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Bariatric Surgeon & Bariatric Medical Director
Parham Doctors' Hospital
Richmond, VA
DElliottMD
on 4/20/10 11:30 pm
Thanks.  Glad to take part.  And, yes, lifestyle changes should be permanent and lifelong, after BOTH bypass and banding.  I've found that, although most Band patients can be successful with that WLS tool, there are a few who can benefit from revision to bypass.  Conversely, we've also seen in our practice a few Bypass patients (maybe 5% or so?) who for technical reasons have regained weight, and actually benefit from putting a Band over the bypass.

David Elliott, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Bariatric Surgeon
Parham Doctors' Hospital
Richmond, VA
Ms Court
on 4/20/10 10:13 pm - Remington, VA
Topic: Wednesday on Track
Finally got through my crazy day yesterday, home for a relaxing evening.  Slept horribly again, I really need to know what my sleep issues are. 

Yesterday's results:
cuppas & protein drink in
B - mini bagel & fruit
S - none
L - leftover stuffed pepper
S - banana & crackers
D - cheeseburger w/onion & tomato, a few Sun Chips

Then I caved and had some ice cream and regretted it.  Alas today is another day.  Today will be another busy day at work, hopefully I will get some queen treatment since it is Admin Professional Day!!  Yeah for all of us that hold the offices together.  I think we are having some kids tonight, probably at least one girlie, maybe both & our son.  Tomorrow is hubby's bday so I have to get some stuff together for that.  Hope you all have a great day!!!

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

rduck8
on 4/20/10 10:08 pm
RNY on 03/17/09 with
I would like to know the symptoms so please post them
callinwildfire
on 4/20/10 2:30 pm - Levels, WV
Hi, I have not had this experience, but had seen several people on this board who for whatever reason have not been sucessful with the band. How wonderful for us that we now have another doctor willing to participate in our forum! I can say that my doctor recommended the gastric bypass for this very reason and told me up front that a lot of patiants came back unhappy with desires for a revision. I can tell you that I have not regretted my decision for a minute although it is a permanant lifestyle change and one that needs to be considered carefully. Good luck in your new journey,and I'm sure you will find much support here. Pam
DanC73
on 4/20/10 7:50 am - Fairfax, VA
On April 20, 2010 at 9:55 AM Pacific Time, Ms Court wrote:
I would be interested in your symptoms if you don't mind sharing.
I just sent you a PM
msdawnie
on 4/20/10 7:01 am, edited 4/20/10 10:23 am - Stafford, VA
RNY on 02/16/05 with
Topic: RE: Tuesday on Track
good afternoon gals!

checkin' in ..worked 730am-330pm today, was veryyy busy, non-stop.  but lots of puppies and kitties are always fun

i am taking my vitamins with 16.9 oz Water in the AM on an empty stomach and getting 100+ oz of water in daily...for someone who used to hate water, i cant get enough! 

24 oz Coffee -made the same as usual (im eventually going to try going decaf..lol)
Protein Shake  (26 g Whey Protein powder made with Skim Milk and Medium Banana)
1 oz Beef Jerky + 1 mozz. string cheese stick
4 oz Strawberry Banana Yogurt
1 small Slice of Cheese pizza  minus the crust
D-i am making Pork Chops, Roasted Red Potatoes with Steamed Veggies
(7pm- i had 3 oz of Pork, a few roasted potatoes and 1 cup steamed veggies) YUM

take care, keep up the great work and drink drink drink! 

dawn

High-291/Low-168/Goal-175/Current-184

Navytown Mom
on 4/20/10 6:01 am
Topic: RE: just checking in
Great job! You are doing fantastic! The weight loss does slow down but I know we can do it!

Congrat's to you on your success!

Susan

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views