Recent Posts

shoutjoy
on 2/4/14 7:51 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to find some cheerleaders

“You're trying to whittle your waistline but bystanders are bringing you down. Here's how to find some cheerleaders.”

We all know how it can be. We announce that we're going on a diet and every time we eat something that looks the least bit naughty, the self-appointed judges are there to grill you.
"Is that on your diet?"
"I thought you were trying to lose weight?"
"So, you've given up on your diet...already?"
Wow, with motivational talk like that, is it any wonder why we fail.
While it is good to announce your plan, it's better to give them the whole picture and expectations - at least to those who will be around you the most. If your husband knows what the program is, what food it includes, and when you'll be exercising he'll know when you are or aren't following your plan. Also, tell them when you will find it the hardest to stick to the program and ask them for help and suggestions. Maybe your spouse can clean up the kitchen (if nibbling on leftovers is a problem) while you take the kids for a walk. Asking them to be cheerleaders and not guilt-dealers can make all the difference in your success

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Mushy07
on 2/3/14 1:44 am
Topic: RE: Looking for a great surgeon for VSG

Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it. I will look into all of your suggestions. :)

shoutjoy
on 2/2/14 7:39 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to shake up the crystal ball

“You want to get in shape, eat better, and change your life but you really don't see it happening. Here's how to shake up the crystal ball.”

In the movie Field of Dreams, the saying goes, "Build it and they will come." Really, at first they didn't need to build it, they just had to visualize it, and then they made it happen. Seeing yourself in a better place, in a different body, and being a different person can all happen. No - visualizing yourself as Angelina Jolie and being married to Brad is not going to happen, however, visualizing yourself as a thinner, healthier, confident, and happy person can. You have the power to change yourself. How often do we let other people conform who we are? Many times they are people who don't know us at all. Comments made about weight, looks, demeanor, style, etc. play into how we view ourselves. Why? If we just start listening to ourselves (granted we need to be having a positive perspective...which we can control), we can be who we want to be and get the things in life we want. Figure out who you are, who you want to be, and work toward becoming that person. Just like exercising and eating right, you can also work on your confidence, brush up on optimism, and start practicing the role for the real woman you can see yourself being. Before you know it, you won't be practicing, but living the role.

shoutjoy
on 2/2/14 7:38 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: RE: Newbie

Hi there,

Well, first of all check with your insurance benefits to see if they cover weight loss surgery and what procedures. Find out what the requirements are for approval and see if you qualify.   That will take care of that.  Finding a good GP who is supportive of weight loss surgery is important for your pre and your post care.  Then, you need to fill your head with knowledge.  Explore the different procedures and ask questions on the boards here.  Listen to the good and the bad.  Research the surgeons in your area.  Talk to their patients if you can.  Many maybe on the boards here as well.  Check to see if there is a local support group you can attend and continue to go after surgery.  You can learn a whole lot from support groups.  

This will take you some time so I suggest you get started.  Good luck!

da1stladie
on 2/2/14 9:37 am - petersburg, VA

I have had VSG with Dr. Datta at Southside Regional Med Center in  Petersburg, Va. My surgery went well. And I was at goal at about 6-7 months. Great Doc, He's been doing them for a while and great bariatric nurse coordinator. I hope this helps you.

Stlgirl74
on 2/1/14 10:57 pm - Henrico, VA
Topic: Newbie

Hello! I am new to the website and I am considering having weight loss surgery. I guess one of my main questions is how to get insurance to cover it. I have Anthem and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with it. I live in the Richmond area. 

Thanks!

KellyH67
on 1/30/14 12:20 pm - Richmond, VA
VSG on 02/19/14

My VSG is scheduled for Feb. 19 with Dr. Carmody at St. Mary's Hospital here in Richmond, VA.  It's a bariatric Center of Excellence.  They do a large number of VSGs.  More than half of the 16 people in my nutrition class were having that particular surgery.  There are 2 other surgeons.  

http://richmond.bonsecours.com/our-services-surgical-weight-loss-surgical-options.html

Hope this helps!

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection.  Excellence I can reach for.  Perfection I leave up to God."  Michael J. Fox

shoutjoy
on 1/29/14 6:14 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to break through the finish line

“You keep setting goals but never quite seem to reach them. Here's how to break through the finish line.”

I'm going to lose weight! My goal is 40 pounds by next month. Ready, set, go!
Setting goals is great, but there are a few ground rules that will help you succeed at hitting them.
1) Be realistic. Unless you are on the Biggest Loser and being monitored daily by a medical team, you're not going to (and shouldn't) lose a huge amount of weight in a short time frame.
2) Bite size. Chop up your goals into smaller pieces. Instead of "Lose 40 pounds by Christmas!" shoot for "Loose 10 pounds by the end of the month" or "Lose weight each week."
3) Make a plan. The goal of "Lose 10 pounds by the end of the month..." should be followed with "by going to the gym three times a week and eating right." Then define what eating right is and mark on the calendar what three days you are going to go to the gym and what time.
4) Plan B. Think about what you're going to do if you don't hit your goal. If you're goal is 10 pounds in a month and you only lose 5, don't throw in the towel. Simply modify your plan with the knowledge you gained.

Mushy07
on 1/27/14 1:47 am
Topic: Looking for a great surgeon for VSG

Hello everyone,

I live in McLean, Virginia. I am in the process of looking for a great surgeon who has a lot of experience with a VSG. I do not mind driving a ways for a really good surgeon. I am a little nervous because I know that VSGs are a newer surgery and I want to make sure that the surgeon I choose has enough experience with them. I also have a hiatal hernia that will most likely have to be repaired as well. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Most appreciatively,

Melissa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views