Recent Posts

shoutjoy
on 3/25/14 7:05 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to rein in your free spirit

“You can't seem to stay on a schedule to work out regularly. Here's how to reign in your free spirit...”

Someone once said that there are basically two kinds of people in the world: free spirits and nerds. On the surface, most would want to be in the free spirit category. These people are fun, unencumbered, adventurous, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of people. Nerds, on the other hand, bring to mind visions of horn-rimmed glasses, rigid oily hair styles, short pants, and tight schedules. When it comes to workouts, free spirits need to embrace nerdiness ½ at least to some extent. Nerds are organized, they get things done, they stay on task, and they are results-driven. If you're a free spirit, your best bet might be to get your workout in first thing in the morning before anything "better" comes along. Look at Clark Kent. He at least got to work in the morning and got to business, and then he was ready to peel off the horn-rims to be his true self later on in the day.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

shoutjoy
on 3/18/14 6:54 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to keep the doctor away

“You haven't been seeing great results lately, so why do you even bother? Here's how to keep the doctor away...”

"Those who don't make time for exercise will need to make time for illness." This quote is oh-so-true. People forget that not just overweight people need to exercise. Exercise is like a life insurance policy. The more you pay into it (daily workouts), the more benefits you reap. Every penny you pay toward your club membership probably comes back to you ten-fold as benefits of better health. So that means because you are able-bodied you can mow your own lawn instead of paying someone else to do it (because that's so much fun), and you don't have to visit the doctor as often, or pay for medicine so frequently. Granted, you may be so healthy you spend your days skiing, rock climbing, or dancing. Which could result in injury - which could cost you - but at least you can brag about those medical bills. 

shoutjoy
on 3/16/14 7:42 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to say - Liar, liar

“You feel like you're eating the right things but the weight's not falling off much. Here's how to say, "Liar, liar..."”

Car insurance salesmen, lawyers, and politicians have gotten a bad rap for being liars. There's another group who's worse, though - food marketing companies. They're experts at manipulating words to make us believe things that are completely untrue about the foods we eat. They use key words like "Light," "Fit," "Well-balanced," "Multi-grain," and "Low" - whatever it takes to catch our attention. Our impressionable minds make the leap that these words mean "healthy." As usual, we get suckered. We have to read both the nutrition and ingredients labels to uncover their trickery. Often you'll find that items that are low-carb may be higher in fat. Items lower in fat may be higher in sugar or sodium. Don't save in one area to pay the price in another. One popular bread label reads, "Whole Grain, White Bread." Oops. Get your magnifying glass out and it really says, "made with Whole Grain." Big difference. Whole grain bread should list whole grain wheat (or whatever) as the first ingredient. If something is "made with" whole grain, it may contain only a small amount of whole grain. The only benefit this bread has over regular white bread is a fraction more fiber... and a bigger price tag, and oh, by the way, more calories. Becoming educated on what's really good for you will reap rewards on the scale.

we3crews
on 3/11/14 8:23 pm
Topic: RE: Confused and a little angry

I plan on defiantly filing a complaint when this is all over with someone that is above her direct supervisor. I am just surprised bc this hospital and staff have a great reputation yet so far I do not have anything positive I can really say 

shoutjoy
on 3/11/14 7:18 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: RE: Confused and a little angry

Sorry you met the lady from hell.  She needs to find another job NOT dealing with people.  I can't tell you what to do and obviously she doesn't care.  I wish I had a solution for you other than go down there and sit where she can see you and stare her down all day lol.  Bad idea.  Anyway, he heard one way or the other.

shoutjoy
on 3/11/14 7:15 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's your kick in the bahookie

“You've been so busy lately, or sad, or just unmotivated that you aren't working out like you should - or at all. Here's your kick in the bahookie.”

Where, oh where, has your motivation gone? And why? Sometimes you just can't find it. It's okay to take a breather - regroup. Take a deep breath; we'll wait. There, are you ready now? You can have a break as long as it's not a permanent one. When you're going through a low point, it's best to make a plan to get back on track. Decide when you're going to start up again and mark it on your calendar. Remember, the longer you're away, the harder it will be to get going again so make your "vacation" short. This way, you won't feel guilty about not going to the club during the time you've taken off, since you've truly scheduled your "workout vacation." Once it's over, force yourself to go, even if you still don't feel like it; you'll be surprised that simply going may get you back in the swing.

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent

we3crews
on 3/11/14 1:23 pm
Topic: Confused and a little angry

I received the call from my insurance company last Thursday that I was approved and needed to contact my surgeon's office to make my next appt bc the approval expires on the 21st. I called to make the last appt for the ultrasound that same day (last Thursday) so I can also have a surgery date scheduled. I hate to say this but the receptionist was far from friendly and told me there was no way I was approved that fast and need to let them do their job (meaning when they are ready they will call me... found out today they misplaced the authorization fax). I called back today to see if I could not schedule the appt now bc they made it clear this appt would be a very long one and with children and college I need plenty of time to make sure there is someone here to get them from school and that I do not have class that day (my surgeon is an hour away from my home) and after being spoken to once again like I am a toddler the receptionist informed me that she will call be the beginning of next week for the ultrasound appointment and after that I get that appointment they will give me a surgery date... she then informed me that I will not meet the date of the 21st that was given as the expiration on the authorization by the insurance company. I ask what happens once I miss the 21st date and she informed me I have to go through the approval process all over again. Has this happened to anyone else and I wonder if there is a chance that when they submit for a new authorization date it could be denied? If anyone has any experience with this I would really appreciate some info on how the experience went... Sorry for venting and rambling 

shoutjoy
on 3/9/14 7:53 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's a totally un-boring reason to do it

“You know you should work out to stay healthy. Here's a totally un-boring reason to do it.”

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Got to work out so our heart keeps pumping, lungs keep going in and out, legs don't atrophy and wither, and so our bellies don't find their way outward and downward. That's all fine and well, but that's boring stuff. Have you figured out how great exercise is for your mental health? Yes, it keeps your brain healthy in a medical, non-flat-lining sort of way, but we're talking happiness euphoria. It's good for your spirit! Doing something that is so good for you actually makes you feel better about yourself and that may be the best part of exercise, hands down! It's okay, you can exercise to be happier. Just look at all that healthy stuff as a nice side effect.

shoutjoy
on 3/4/14 5:44 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to strut your stuff

“You're looking better, exercising and eating right, but you still don't feel great about yourself. Here's how to strut your stuff.”

Have you ever seen a woman - a regular, non-perfect, over size 10 woman - who doesn't just walk into a room, but makes an entrance? One who smiles, makes eye contact, and has great posture - you immediately envy her. Not because she's beautiful on the outside, but because of her inner glow. She's got that little something extra. It's called confidence - something so many women seem to lack. One way to get it is to give yourself a little pep talk. Mentally list everything you like about yourself - and don't just think physical appearance: I'm a nice person, I'm a great cook, I care about others, everyone envies my organizational skills, I have great feet, I like my voice, I look good in a hat. Now, realize what confident women understand: they need to be the best version of themselves. They don't worry about things they can't control (bad genes, being allergic to dust, and not being Angelina Jolie). They focus on being themselves, as they are today. You are the only one who can be you. So you might as well make the best 'you' that you can. All you have to realize is what a fabulous, worthwhile person 'you' is.

shoutjoy
on 3/3/14 7:50 pm - Culpeper, VA
Topic: Here's how to kick that little, red-horned guy off your shoulder

“You were going good for a while, but now you've started slacking off again. Here's how to kick that little, red-horned guy off your shoulder.”

Think about it. When we don't work out and we're eating junk food at every turn, and the scale is starting to creep up, and our midsection is pouring out over our waistband, or our bra-line back bulge is bulging, do we feel good about ourselves? Do we happily rejoice? 'Wow, up another three pounds -and that's just since this morning!'
How about when we're going to the club regularly, eating really well, and the inches are melting away? Do we pull on our clothes and cry out in despair, 'Oh, no! Not more shopping. Everything is too big! These clothes look soooo baggy!'
If doing the right things makes us feel better about ourselves, then why on earth do we not want to do those things? Next time, let's listen to the girl/guy on the other shoulder - she's/he’s the one wearing white.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views