what to do?

jojocnl
on 5/8/06 5:28 am - Fairfax, VA
I had an appt with a surgeon today. I'm looking for some feed back for having the lap-band or the GB? Can you please tell me if you have been happy with the results of your surgery and if you had the lap-band if you would have rather had the GB. Thanks!!! JoAnne
Ernurse323
on 5/8/06 6:31 am - Virginia Beach, VA
JoAnne, At first I was considering the lapband. I knew my insurance wouldn't cover it, but contemplated getting a loan to have it done. There were the positives to it....decreased hospital time, less invasive...nothing has to be cut..just a band put around the top portion of the stomach. Then I thought about myself and how this would work for me. Well, there would be no consequence to eating whatever I wanted and just grazing all day. I love all the good things in life, food being one of the tops !!!! SO that is why I decided to go with the RNY GB. I physically cannot tolerate high fats and high sugar. Believe me, I was a sugaraholic..... We were talking about donuts last night on the forum and if I had the lapband..my butt may have been in Krispy Creme or Duncan donuts today !!! I go in Wednesday to have a stricture repaired..but even with that, I wouldn't change the surgery I had for anything. Good Luck with your decision. I know it is a big one for you. Many people who have had the lapband are very pleased. But in 2 months I have lost 52lbs and I have yet to exercise like I should. Dana
jojocnl
on 5/8/06 11:50 am - Fairfax, VA
Thank you. I'm just going through the risks. I have 2 little one's I stay home with so it's been a little hard to decide what to do. You hear that 1 out of 200 people die and I'm not sure I want to take that risk with 2 little kids. I guess the next few weeks while the insurance co. looks it over I'll decide. Thanks, JoAnne
Betsy Anitahug
on 5/8/06 10:04 am - Danville, VA
Hi JoAnne..,..I had the GB and am glad I did...had mine open in Dec and am doing great. Lost 78 pounds so far and am tickled to death. I know that being 56 years old has played along with the weight loss...now losing like the young chicks on here...hehe. Anyway, I wouldn't do anything any different. Even with my 13 1/2 inch scar...it was worth everything. Hugs, Betsy
fishtayl
on 5/8/06 10:57 pm - Bealeton, VA
Joanne, I too heavily considered the Lap Band but ended up going with the RNY GB. I am very happy with that decision. I am at goal. 1.5 years out 160 pounds lost. Best of luck in your decision. And remember that it is YOUR decision we can only give our opinions. Ginny
kabarron1
on 5/9/06 12:22 am - Hopewell, VA
JoAnne, Actually, the national mortality rate average is more like 1-1000 and if I were you I'd personally ask the surgeon what his/her mortality rate is and the some of the reasons for the patient's passing. Initially I felt that the question was almost rude for me to ask; but then I got to thinking about it and decided I had every right to ask because I was the one having the surgery. Anyway, I too considered the Lap-Band for similar reasons as yourself; but after doing research on it and talking with my WLS doctor I decided to go with Lap-RNY because with the Lap-Band I didn't have to change any of my eatting habits and I felt there wasn't much point if there was a chance I could just eat everything right back on again. There just happen to be another patient that was in just before me and my doctor pointed out that he had the lap-band a year earlier and while it did help initially; the patient ended up putting the weight right back on because he didn't have to change his eating habits and I had no interest in there being a possibility of me getting cut on twice. Another deciding factor was the fact that the lap-band has to be replaced about every 10yrs and like I said before, I have no interest in having to have the procedure done twice. I hope this helps. Which procedure we choose is a very personal one that only we can make; but as for myself, I felt the Lap-RNY was best for me and I'm very happy with the results at 8 months out. I'm down 130lbs from my high of 316lbs. Best of luck to you in your journey. Keith 316/186/???
jojocnl
on 5/9/06 12:57 am - Fairfax, VA
Thank you to all of you that have replied. I am looking at all options and I hope to come to a conclution by the end of the week. Thanks, JoAnne
Tam
on 5/9/06 3:24 am - Richmond, VA
JoAnne, I had GB open on 4-25-05 and have lost 196 lbs so far. I am at a stand still right now, but I am not complaining. I am bouncing up and down with 3-4 lbs, but I know I will be losing again soon. I have no regrets. This was the only procedure I considered. I went a different route...I reasearched surgeons and found who I thought to be the best and went with the proceure he performs. To date Dr. Hutcher has done the open RNY FIVE (yes, I said five!!!) times in my family with no complications. I love hime and he truly has helping MO people in his heart. He has been doing this for over 40 years. I think you should discuss this with your surgeon and ask them about the pro's and con's. I only know three people who have had lap band done. None had complications, but only one reached goal. They others are losing really slow and since they are still able to eat sugar and bad stuff, I think they are sabatoging themselves. JMO... Tammy C 1 year post op -196 lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views