Need PCP in DC/NOVA area

PSU Nicole
on 5/6/06 10:39 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi everyone, I will be moving to the NOVA are soon and will need a new PCP. Does anyone know of a pro-WLS PCP in the DC/NOVA region? Since I will be far from my surgeon's office, I will need a PCP who has experience with RNY patients and is compassionate to our conditions. Thanks, Nicole
cappymoon
on 5/6/06 11:13 am - Northern, VA
Hi Nicole Not sure where in NOVA you are moving to? I live in Mclean, and my PCP is here as well. I was going to suggest it to him that I get WLS but he got to the point first (see my profile for the story). Anyways, his name is Dr Allen Horne, and is on Whittier Ave. My sister has him as well, and he suggested it to her too....Now for the aftercare, I am teaching them a thing or two of things I can have and not have, but if there is a problem with the WLS, I usually go to my surgeons office anyways. Hope that helps, and if you need any more information, please let me know! Dianna
~ Julie ~
on 5/6/06 1:45 pm - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
I was going to suggest him, because he's a real nice guy and pays attention and such. I am not terribly impressed with how busy his office can get though -- I've seen his partner more often than I've seen him for things WLS related and not. You also have to wait quite a while if going in for something routine like a physical, sometimes two months or more. Now, before last year I probably hadn't been to a doctor in ten years, so maybe this is normal. I just thought it was a bit long to have to wait just for a physical. You might try some of the local surgeons' offices to see if they have any PCP recommendations. I know my surgeon's office was good to me when it came time to see the sleep study doctors (well, my insurance didn't participate with the one they suggested, but then again, they don't participate much with anyone it seems) and the gastroenterologist. Or maybe WebMD or 1 800 Doctors or your insurance's website can give you some insight. -Julie
PSU Nicole
on 5/8/06 1:16 pm - Alexandria, VA
I am moving to Alexandria.
Christina R.
on 5/6/06 11:16 pm - Reston, VA
Nicole- If you're going to be a bit further west than McLean, my PCP is in Herndon. She's really wonderful, as are all the Drs. in the practice that I've dealt with. She's part of "Herndon Family Medical", and her name is Cynthia Horner. I had talked to her regarding WLS on my first visit with her (to see if she'd be willing to support it) and she was all for it. She said she's had a few other patients that are post-op, so I believe she has some experience. Like Cappymoon (Dianna) said though, I believe we all have to do a bit of education for our PCPs and for anything more than a routine visist we'd call our surgeon. Hope that gives you some options! Christina S. Pre-Op and Waiting for July!
PSU Nicole
on 5/8/06 1:20 pm - Alexandria, VA
Thanks for the info. I know that physicians don't know everything about WLS, but I want a PCP that understands the new plumbing and knows the do's and dont's (i.e. prescribing certain medications). Plus, since I will be far away from my surgeon, my PCP will be an integral part of my healthcare as I won't be able to just drive 4 hours at the drop of a hat. Nicole
Gail from NoVa
on 5/8/06 2:08 am - Bealeton, VA
If you decide to live a little further out from the city, I have a great PCP in Warrenton, Dr. Maoury. I've been his patient for his years and I highly recommend him, and he's not too hard on the eyes either.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views