I am so excited! I w...

beth-d
on 5/2/06 11:02 am - Richmond, VA
Congrats Kat!! I am so proud of you and don't you back down one bit! I am 9 weeks out and every class I have attended and every meeting and support group tells us that we should not drink at all! I don't understand why acohol is even offered at a WLS conference - when it is so forbidden. I was asking one of my new found friends from the support meetings if she would like to attend the conference with me and she said I don't think so - did you see those pictures and post about the conference - my husband won't let me attend something like that. I saw your husband the next day after the conference and he was very concerned about the drinking and partying the night before. This was all before my surgery when I was researching this process and I totally agree with what you wrote. I don't want to affend anyone either and I am sure that there was alot of hard work put into the conference, but when behavior takes a turn or it looks that way - that is what people will remember, because that is what is talked about. I don't feel that acohol should be offered at a WLS conference even in the hospitality rooms - We worked so hard to lose this weight and to change our behaviors - so why celebrate our success with something that we should not have to begin with. Why can't people just celebrate and be happy without going down hill in the process. I am fairly new to this site, but have been shocked by the some of the pictures I have seen and some of the things that I have read. I have seen some people jumped on when eating the wrong things, but now can't say anything about drinking an getting a little out of control. From all of the things that have been said and seen - my husband won't even let me go to the June Conference. So Kat you stick to your guns - acohol should not be a part of this process - there are other ways to celebrate - we all want to be healthy and live again - well acohol is just another bad vice - that we should be careful of. I am sorry if this offends anyone, but I felt that someone who is on the outside and wasn't there and doesn't know any of you could give some insight to what I read about it and what the pictures convey from the conference. Yes, there was some nice pictures of the dresses and everyone looking all pretty and nice - but I did not see one picture of people participating in the conference or the speakers - but I certainly saw some very wild pictures of people and was a little shocked at what I did see and heard about the event - I was not the only one - several have said something about it at the meetings I have been too. So thanks Kat for letting me feel good about how I felt and feel about drinking and this surgery - and I definetly have learned from you what not to do and to cross that off my list of no, no items!! Way to go Kat! People must remember that it may have not been that way, but it is how it looks and what is said that will carry on - That is always the way it has been and one memorable bad moment will outshine most of the good - it is not a good thing - but it is the way it is. You all wrote about the partying in your post and profiles so why jump on Kat for stating it in her article, I didn't have to be there to here, read and see what went on - it happened and is documented all over this site already. Beth
Kitty Kat
on 5/2/06 8:16 pm - Richmond, VA
Good morning Beth, Thank you so much for your reply! Your response is absolutely fabulous! I'm very happy that I've been able to tell my story and be honest and blunt about it. I won't/wouldn't change one single word. I'm absolutely positive and even thrilled that it's touched many. This isn't the first time I've been faced with some negativity but I have stood and will continue to stand strong with my head high knowing that this is such an important issue and I am so thankful that this and many other important subjects are coming to light as real concerns and are getting the attention of many. Kat
(deactivated member)
on 5/2/06 10:17 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Kat .. these post are not negitive . What you did in posting that article was great .. your choice of words where not . Standing up for a cause is very admirable . I guess through your eyes it was a drunk fest for you . But to the others that have posted their responces .. they do not feel that way . And you know .. or maybe you do not .. how many lives where touched that weekend . How many friendships grew out of this . The events will go on with David and I . And for those that attend . I can tell you . They will leave with nothing but love, education .. friendship and memories. And as for the pictures from the event .. they where awesome .. capturing the nights events .. yes .. we had a freaking blast .. So for those that are looking for a structured .. made to attend CONFERENCE .. I guess these events may not be for you . David and I see to it that everyone leaves with something for their heart, head and hand ... I can see that you are very strong willed . And very determined to get your message out about the dangers of alcohol . I admire that . I too am very passionate about my goals here on OH and abroad . I will continue to support everyone here . I will continue to offer events .. support groups and such . Yes Batter up .. Swing .. you are on a Roll.. just do not loose focus of what your message is sending .. if you are passionate .. do not let it falter . I wish you nothing but the best .. and pray that you get all that you deserve . Natalie
Kitty Kat
on 5/3/06 12:26 am - Richmond, VA
Good morning all, First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone for replying and sharing their opinions on my article. They are all valued greatly. I am very pleased with my article and I have received very encouraging messages here on the boards and privately. Next, I would like to take the opportunity to say that I am very pleased to be a part of such an amazing group of people who all have a common bond and that is the pursuit of and having had weight loss surgery. It's an amazing journey with lots of wonderful things that happen along the way. That being said there are also some very real dangers and consequences that need to be brought to everyone's attention. Knowledge is power and arming ourselves is the best. Lastly, in life we come to paths where me must choose how to proceed. We can choose to have a positive attitude or we can choose to have a negative attitude. Concentrating on the negatives only places distance between reaching the positives and wastes precious time and energy. Which direction should be chosen? I have chosen to ask for God's help and guidance starting with pray and then relying on my family and friends here and off the boards. I am also praying for clarity, encouragement and discernment moving forward. I will continue to be supportive in any manner that I can and will continue to write and reach out to others on and off of the boards. Although the mountains may be grand there is surely a way to scale them. "While the right to talk may be the beginning of freedom, the necessity of listening is what makes the right important." - Walter Lippmann Kat
Kitty Kat
on 5/3/06 12:54 am - Richmond, VA
I would like to add closure to this valuable dialogue by extending my heartfelt apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my article. The article is solely based on my opinions, thoughts and observations and in no way a direct attack on anyone or anything. It is not only the Christian way to live my life by but it is the right thing to do. Respectfully, Kat
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views