I am so excited! I w...

David@Goal
on 5/2/06 2:57 am - VA
Ok. I read this last night and abstained from responding until I could get a grip Kat. I personally think if you had to re-write that article today, you wouldn't have brought up the January conference as part of it at all. Maybe you would have stopped and thought about the six months Natalie & I spent up until 2 and 3 AM coordinating vendors, speakers, speeches, topics, menus, DJ's, the conference coffee mugs with the logo on it for the closing breakfast, the endless hours I spent crying putting together the formal night video of everyone's before and after pictures that I spent my own money to have produced by a professional videographer. You remember - the one where over 90 people in attendance cheered and cried over each others accomplishments? The fabulous sessions led by medical professionals and our own "experts"... Personally? I drank maybe two sips of wine at that formal dinner, and maybe one more drink at the impromptu "pajama party". I had a great time - and was as sober as I am this minute. Did some people over-indulge? Hell yes! Will they keep on doing it? Their choice - but more than likely- YES. I have never been much of a drinker. That's just me though. Please note though: I have NEVER referred to this June gathering as a conference. This is a much more informal, summer gathering, or "event". There will still be wls related vendors and fabulous round table discussions, Saturday from 9 AM - 12:30 PM, but this was always designed to be more social. Also note that the dates have already been set for the January 2007 CONFERENCE, which will be more "education" focused. I always wanted the summer gathering to involve more out-doorsy things, hence the city tour and the pool party with entertainment by our own wls family members!! Having said all that - I hope to see everyone in June at Boogie & Splash! I am so psyched about the itinerary!! In addition- congrats for being published! I was just as excited when a national publication like OH published my own story in February. Keep on writin'! David
Kitty Kat
on 5/2/06 5:27 am - Richmond, VA
Good afternoon David, Thanks for you reply and sharing your opinion! I fully stand behind my article, feel even more strongly about it this pm than I did previously, would not change one word in it and I'm extremely proud of it. Thanks for the congrats it sure is exciting and one of many happy accomplishments yet to come! I'm sure June's events will be fabulous! Have a great evening! Kat
*~Tigger~ *
on 5/2/06 3:28 am - Staunton, VA
Hi, Kat! Congrats on getting published! That's great! However, I find it odd that you chose to publically put down the wonderful WLS conference that was held in January. I learned so much from the speakers and discussions. It was my first big gathering with others that I share so mu*****ommon with-this amazing surgery! The vendors provided wonderful samples and information that is so vital to us in our journey. The amount of hard work and preparation that Natalie and David put in on this is truly unimaginable; I don't know of anyone else who would have devoted so much for all of us. The most amazing part of the weekend was in meeting so many wonderful people that I truly consider to be my friends. THAT was the best part of the event for me. These are people that I have continued to be in touch with, either via internet, phone, or in person. That in itself was worth every penny that I spent on this event. As far as alcohol goes, we're all adults here. I'm sure that I was one of the people that was embarrassing to you. I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE! I made the choice to drink, and I don't regret it at all. I was neither sick, nor did I do anything that I regret. (Yes, I am sure about that.) A major factor here to me is that most of us were staying at the hotel and were not driving anywhere that night. If I had been driving, I would not have had anything to drink. Many people drank that night, and many people did not. I thought that we all had a great time. When June comes, will I drink again? Yep. Will I encourage anyone else to drink? Nope. Will all of this be my choice and my responsibility? You got it. JoAnn P.S. If we all keep putting in our 2 cents, you'll soon have a dollar!
Kitty Kat
on 5/2/06 5:34 am - Richmond, VA
Good afternoon JoAnn, Thanks for your reply and sharing your opinions! Thanks for the congrats! It a great feeling and a wonderful accomplishment with many more to come in the future. I'm glad you had a wonderful experience at the January conference and I'm sure you will enjoy the June festivities as well. Have a great evening! Kat
Pat F.
on 5/2/06 5:44 am - Richmond, VA
Hello, all I have only a couple of words to say here. If we are all adults than why all this name calling and acting like kids? This makes me sad. I had given a lot of throught about trying again to get the surgery but have since been able to lose weight with my daughter's help and am now gaining again and will once again pursue surgery. I know this sounds strong but if this is what it takes for all to get back to the family I thought this board was about then so be it. If anyone is hurt by this then I am sorry. I am not trying to take anyones side of this, I have personally seen what alchol does to people and it is not cute or grown-up. I have had to deal with this all my life, my kids do not even know any of this because I do not share things like I should. I did not attend the conference, but I do have a question for all, if you attended the conference why is it I never see anyone write about what they might have learned and feel that if it was so informative then why not share it on here for those that could not come instead of putting posts here that talk about the drinking and partying and links to all the pictures? I know that Kat is my daughter but I felt like some of all you guys was part of my family. I do not usually get on here and talk like this but enough is enough. If we are going to be a family than lets act like one and quit acting like we are not. Thank all of you for your kind words. I have a report to do for school and I choose to ask Kat to help me with it by going to my school to talk about WLS and drinking. This is a subject that I have a great concern about. I have had 2 family members get this life saving surgery and I see how much good it can do. If you are pre-op I am sorry to sound so harsh but lets face the facts that this and other things can happen and all this information needs to put out where it can be seen and know that it could happen to others. This was done for that reason not to say that the conference was just for a drinking party but to inform everyone the dangers of WLS and drinking. I love all of you and maybe I will check back on here sometime in the future. Pat (kats mom)
Kitty Kat
on 5/2/06 6:41 am - Richmond, VA
Hiya Momma, Thanks for you reply and I appreciate it greatly. I am so delighted you've asked me to come speak in front of your class. I am putting together several resources for your class and hope to have packets put together for your teacher and classmates by then. Thank you for your comments and understanding the point I made but writing my article. Thank you for your continued support not just because you are my Mom but because you care me and others as well. ya, Kat
(deactivated member)
on 5/2/06 7:56 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Momma Pat .. it is not that what Kat wrote was wrong .. her article was great .. and very articulate . I just feel like many others that calling the Event a Drunk fest .. well could have been taken out . And if I could go back to the January post .. which I am going to do tonight .. you will find that while everyone posted about what a great time they had .. the events where mentioned .. I think everyone needs to step back .. take a deep breath .. and realize how serious this subject really is . But in the same breath .. do not discount the Event itself .. the time and efforts .. the education that we brought to the group .. the friendships that were made there .. the talks .. the dance .. this was long and hard work .. and after this post to you .. I am not defending the event any longer. Those that came and saw and experienced have spoken . And as you can see .. this was not a drunk fest .. if Kat had a bad time due to Alcohol .. it was her own choosing .. and it sounds like to me she is getting her act together by getting it out of her life . And that is a good thing .. But we can not be everything to everyone .. some will listen some wont .. I hope Kat continues to educate thru her writing .. she has a gift .. I just wanted to express my disapointment in seeing the event David and I worked so hard for called a drunk fest .. I hope you can see that .. Much love and respect , Natalie
Pat F.
on 5/2/06 11:12 am - Richmond, VA
I know that you are disapointed, I am sure that she did not mean to say that but that is what she saw was everyone drinking and not really seeing how much was actually being dranked. She did not even relaized she had as much as she did. I like you hope that she will keep writing and educating people about WLS and the problems that goes along with it. I think that this has gone on long enough and we all need to step back and think about our lives and what friends really mean. I hope that everyone has a nice week and enjoy the June conference and try and stay safe. Drinking is not everything. We can party and not drink and have a great time. Ask me and I will tell and show you how it is done. I can laugh and pretend to be drunk and not have a drink at all. I learn from a young age that drinking can kill you if not careful. I Love everyone and pray that this will not happen again.
Shanana
on 5/2/06 6:29 am - Altavista, VA
Congrats on getting the article published Kat. I attended the conference too. I learned at the meetings and loved the fellowship. I have had alcohol problems in my past too and have had to learn what to do not to get into them again. I would love to drink. Just hate the consequences it brings physically,emotionally and mentally in my life. I just have to separate myself from that part of it. I am saddened at the back and forth part of this. Just dont know what to say about that part. Congrats Shannon
Kitty Kat
on 5/2/06 6:44 am - Richmond, VA
Good evening Shannon, Thanks for your reply and congrats it's great! I'm glad you enjoyed the conference as well. I agree the negative consequences are not worth it to me. Have a wonderful evening! Kat
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views