I am so excited! I w...

Kitty Kat
on 5/1/06 10:16 am - Richmond, VA
I am so excited! I wrote my story regarding WLS and alcohol and it's been put in the May 1st WLSCenter Newsletter. I'm so thankful to Barbara Thompson for tackling this issue and publishing my story. This is an amazing night for me! OMG I am SO happy! Please take some to read not just my story but others as well. http://www.wlscenter.com/alcoholism.htm Much Kitty Kat
Ms Court
on 5/1/06 11:01 pm - Remington, VA
Wow Kat. Nice article. It definitely takes a lot to put yourself out there like that. I agree that there is not enough education for bypass patients about the effects and dangers of alcohol after surgery. I hope that stories like yours will help educate the professionals so that there will be more info available in the future. Congrats on your success. Courtney
Kitty Kat
on 5/2/06 12:03 am - Richmond, VA
Good morning Courtney, Thanks very much for your reply and kind words! There isn't a lot of information readily available but there are some studies being done currently. I hope to learn more from them as well. Thanks again! Kat
yvette223
on 5/1/06 11:24 pm - winchester, VA
RNY on 01/24/06 with
Kat, that is an incredable story, i am so glad you wrote that, it will defintly make people open their eyes and think. You did a great job onit. Lots of hugs yvette
Kitty Kat
on 5/2/06 12:08 am - Richmond, VA
Good morning Yvette, Thanks so much for your kind word! Have a wonderful day! Kat
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/06 11:34 pm - Remington, VA
Kat, I'm glad to see this issue being addressed, as knowledge is power! We just moved back to the states last July, from being stationed in Italy.....hubby's AF. Well you can imagine the drinking that went on in wine country! I did my share, but it was more in developing a taste for different wines. I did have one friend who was post op over there and she drank, drinks, a lot of wine(she's still there.) I also had an aquaintance over there who was also postop, and she drank excessively even putting some of her weight back on.....sad. It always kind of baffled me, going through the rigors of wls only to sabatoge it by drinking excessively. Both of them also had horrible eating habits......I've realized since learninng about surgery, and the need for protein, etc. That being said, and as an educated adult, I do plan to enjoy a glass of wine...we brought back some from Italy, and have ventured out to the local Northern VA vineyards since our coming to live here. Moderation is the key word here. It doesn't hurt to use moderation in anything we do. I do hope to attend the June conference. I hope to enjoy myself, meet some of you people that I've only met on here, and learn, learn, learn! Well that's my two cents. I read your article, and I say "kudos!" Kirsten
Kitty Kat
on 5/2/06 12:17 am - Richmond, VA
Good morning Kirsten, Absolutely fabulous response! I couldn't agree more. Moderation IS key for pre-ops and post-ops. You will have a great time at the June conference! Thank you VERY much for your kind words! Kat
Betsy Anitahug
on 5/1/06 11:59 pm - Danville, VA
GM, Kat...First let me say that Yes, WLS patients do need to know the extent that alcohol plays on our systems and I thank you for writing the article...However, I was at the Janurary conference and I did not see it as a drinking fest. Being newly post op, I chose not to drink as well as many others. The work that Nat and David put into the conference was incredible and I got a wealth of information from the vendors and the speakers. I can't begin to tell you what that conference did for me as far as the love, caring, understanding etc that I received from my fellow WLS friends. I did not drink but the option was there if I had wanted to make that decision. The hospitality room was there for any of the adults who wanted to celebrate their new lives....I did not see that as a reflection on the conference itself. I so enjoyed meeting and bonding with others who have been through what I have been through. I have to come to David and Nat's defense on this one...the conference was a wonderful source of information and the planning that went into it really paid off as far as I was concerned. I did not see it as you did...a drinking fest. No matter where you go, people are going to make that decision to drink but I did not see it as a reflection on the conference itself. The conference was very well organized, informative, and was something that this newly postop needed very badly. I feel that the conference itself was an extreme success but I think you missed out on alot of the positive aspects due to having to leave to have Kayla's b'day party...you missed out on the "meat" of the conference. I personally think the paragraph about the conference should have been left out of the article. This is just my opinion. Maybe you could check with Nat and David about your having a speaking session on the affects of drinking at the June conference.....it is important to know the effects on our tiny pouches. I for one, am really looking forward to the June conference and can't wait to spend time with other "tiny pouch people" and as far as the drinking, that is a personal choice and not a focus of the conference. It is going to be a celebration of WLS patients and their successes...we acquire tons of information from others who have been down this path and that is what I am looking forward to. I hope this was received in the way it was intended but I felt that I needed to defend Nat and David's hard work on the conferences they do....the drinking should not be a reflection on the conference itself. That is a personal choice and the conference was a total success!!!!! Huggs, Betsy
(deactivated member)
on 5/2/06 12:38 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Thank you too My Butterfly for your support . your support of the event is greatly appreciated . I see Kat's article very imformative .. and may touch someone . It is the whole attacking the conference and my and David's hard work .. that get's to me . I so look forward to seeing you again in June .. or sooner .. I know Mom wants you down here NOW .. Love you so much .. Natalie
Kitty Kat
on 5/2/06 12:40 am - Richmond, VA
Good morning Betsy, Thanks for your response and sharing your opinions. As always they are valued and appreciated! I am glad you have a great time at the conference. You looked absolutely beautiful! You will also have a fabulous time at the June conference I am sure of that. I the term Tiny Pouch People! That is GREAT! Have a wonderful day! Kat
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views