distal v. proximal RNY

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/06 8:55 am - Remington, VA
Anyone know the techinical/medical differences, and the differences in post op life pertaining to the two different techniques of distal v. proximal RNY? Thanks ahead of time! Kirsten
cappymoon
on 4/23/06 9:13 am - Northern, VA
Hi Kristen The terms Distal and Proximal refer to how much of the intestins are bypassed, and by my surgeons standards, (prolly more than him) there is a third right in the middle, the Medial. I understand the Distal, and the Proximal as such....there seems to be conflicting information though... Prox is less than 150CM bypassed and Distal is more than 150CM bypassed. Surgeons tend to bypass more when the BMI is higher. The best way to find out what you had done is ask your surgeon.... I was under the impression that I had a distal....till the new term came to me that I was medial...that is what he called me...I had 150CM bypassed.... That is the best way I can describe it.....By my surgeons standards I am Medial, by what I have seen on the internet, I am Distal.....HTH's Dianna
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/06 9:18 am - Remington, VA
Dianna! Hello! Thank you so much! I've been asking around and not getting much help! When I asked my surgeon he said, 100cm, so I guess I'm proximal! My BMI was 45 preop so it stands ot reason and makes sense! I'm going to the reunion thingy Carnivale, this coming Saturday with some of my fellow Fauquier County ladies! I went to my first support group this past Thursday and they invited me to come along! I can't wait to meet you and others in person! See ya then. And thanks for replying! Kirsten
cappymoon
on 4/23/06 9:23 am - Northern, VA
WOOHOO!! Definately, look me up. I will be there next weekend with bells on I went last year, and it was informative, along with meeting others.....It should be a good time!! (now if I could convince a few more to be there ) See you next week!! Dianna
Kathy & Rich
on 4/23/06 9:47 am - Fairfax, VA
It'll be nice to meet you Saturday, Kirsten. Rich and I will be there Saturday. I've been meaning to ask how far I'm bypassed. I would safely guess that I'm proximal too. See ya! Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/06 9:49 am - Remington, VA
Kathy! I look forward to meeting both you and Rich!!!! Kirsten
~ Julie ~
on 4/23/06 9:23 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
See, this has me confused. When I asked him about it last Thursday as he was pulling the drain out, he said that I'd had 250 (!) cm bypassed, which was only slightly more than your 220cm bypassed. I asked him what he meant by this and all I could understand was something about that included the roux limb and the rest of it was foreign to me. I'll ask again Thursday when I'm getting the staples out. I'll be more clear headed and maybe I'll get an answer that makes sense. I looked at a diagram, and I'm more confused. All I know is 250cm = weight loss. That's good enough for me.
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/06 11:18 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
G'morning Kristen ~ I probably should have checked all the responses - Im sure you're question has been answered - but this was a good way to say HELLO too, so here I be! Proximal = less then a 100 cm's bypassed Medial = 101 up to 150 cm's bypassed Distal = 150 cm's or higher When I was in the research stages I made sure that I had a doctor who agreed that "DISTAL" was the way to go for me. I weighed 400 lbs, needed to lose MORE then half by body weight and I had the same "window of opportunity" that anyone else had (18 months) ... if I'd had a proximal bypass, I feel absolutely confident I would NEVER have reached a goal weight of "normal". Of course, that being said - I also researched and realized all the additional RISKS that come with having so much more bypassed and this is why Im such a die-hard on supplmnts and vitamins. I accept the fact (fate) that Im a higher risk and try to counter it accordingly. Make sure to talk to your doctor and request a COPY OF YOUR SURGERY NOTES!! You are absolutely entitled to that and I have a copy of ALL my surgery notes, including the plastic surgeries. The BYPASS notes should also tell you exactly what size pouch you ended up with. Have a great day - Lei
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/06 11:26 pm - Remington, VA
Thanks Lei!!! Hi to you too! TY for reminding me about getting the surgery notes.....a definite good idea for all! Have a good one! Kirsten
wlsurvivor
on 4/24/06 4:20 am - Marshall, VA
Hi Kirsten, I had 120 cm bypassed. I got that information by getting a copy of my surgical notes from UVA. It was nice meeting you last week in Warrenton! I am sorry that I won't be able to attend the Reunion in Centreville; we will be on vacation. I hope to see you at the next meeting! Karen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views