I'm Back!

*~Tigger~ *
on 4/23/06 2:40 am - Staunton, VA
Hey, everybody! I've been away for a while, and I've missed you guys! First of all, I want to thank everyone for their calls, cards, prayers, etc. while I've been down. Holly, you're the best--your visits at the hospital and at home, the fluffy Easter Bunny that SMELLS like chocolate, changing my nasty dressing, etc.--You're the Bestest best friend ever! Shannon and Melinda-Your calls have meant soooo much to me! The E-cards that Holly, Dianna, Shannon, Melinda, Betsy, and Lois sent to me at UVA were great for lifting my spirits! Thank you all. I had to be at UVA at 6a.m. on Friday, April 14th. Since I'm still on lots of prescription narcotics, I can't really remember a lot of the details. They made about a 4-5 in*****ision down the back of my neck, even shaved off part of my hair, decompressed my spinal cord, and implanted 2 rods with screws to several of my vertebrae. I don't think I'll ever have much range of motion in my neck. They took me to the Neuro ICU unit after the surgery until Sun. or Mon.-I don't know which. I was supposed to come home on Monday, but was in the hospital until Thursday. There were a few people at the hospital who were great to me. Unfortunately, there were some who weren't. The first night in ICU, when I suppose they think you can't hear anything, I overheard them talking about a patient who was going to need a Bariatric bed. The "Shamu" comments that they bantered around amongst themselves had me in tears. Yes, I reported them. When they started feeding me, I explained about my RNY and what I could and couldn't eat. One of the dietary people was very helpful and if she brought me something that I couldn't eat, she would take it and find someting to replace it with--the sugar free coconut pudding was delicious! There was another dietary girl who brought me my lunch one day and left it across the room where she knew I couldn't get up to get it. On my last morning, this same girl brought me my breakfast--a big ol' apple pastry! I told her that she knew that I couldn't eat it. She said that my instructions said, "No sugar, No caffeine." When I asked her what she thought the pastry was, she said that my instructions only meant that I got Splenda packets instead of sugar packets with my meal. WTF???? Yes, I reported her too. It amazes me that UVA can do so many WLS procedures and yet can't feed us when we come back! I stopped by Patient Services and recorded my complaints before I left. So now I'm at home, on drugs and in pain, but home! I am thankful that this is over and that I've made it yet again. Thank you to everyone! I love you all! JoAnn
Kathy & Rich
on 4/23/06 3:06 am - Fairfax, VA
Hey, JoAnn! Glad to hear you were doing so well. Yes, you did may it again. I'm sorry about the bad experiences at UVA. There is no excuse for that type of behavior and responses. Sounds like some of the staff need sensitivity training and training on bariatric patients and their dietary requirements! Glad that you stood up for yourself and folks that are obese and post-ops. Hopefully those that go through the hospital system after you will be treated with more respect and fed appropriately. I hope that your recovery goes well and that your range of movement is better than you expect. Hugs, kathy
*~Tigger~ *
on 4/23/06 3:10 am - Staunton, VA
Hey, Kathy! Thanks for your reply! The rudeness and down-right stupidity that I found really floored me! I intend on making sure that my complaints are at least noted! JoAnn p.s. How are you feeling?
Kathy & Rich
on 4/23/06 8:37 am - Fairfax, VA
Oh well, JoAnn, I'm feeling. I have my good moments and my not-so-good moments. I have to have a colonoscopy first to rule out anything there. That is scheduled for Monday, May 1st. I see my surgeon a few days later to talk about the results and the next course of action - exploratory surgery. Uck. But I really want to feel better. This has really got me down in the dumps but I'll get through it. Always do. Thanks for asking! Hugs, Kathy
Betsy Anitahug
on 4/23/06 3:38 am - Danville, VA
Hi my sweet Clucker....I am so glad you are back. I have been really worried about you. Hope this will take care of all your pain. I know it will be hard for awhile but if there is anything I can do, please let me know. I love and miss you bunches... Hugs, Betsy
*~Tigger~ *
on 4/23/06 3:52 am - Staunton, VA
Hey, you bad MC! Thanks for everything. It is hard for now, but hopefully will be worth it in the end. Hope to see you soon! Love you too, JoAnn
Jennifer V.
on 4/23/06 5:03 am - Waynesboro, VA
Hi Joann, I'm new to this board, but I only live a few miles from you and would love to help you out in any way I can. I know I don't even know you but it doesn't take long to start feeling "part of the gang" reading all the emails. Please let me know if there is anything at all I could do to make your recovery more pleasant. Love, Jenn
*~Tigger~ *
on 4/23/06 5:26 am - Staunton, VA
Thank you soooo much, Jenn! I just finally checked my email and was going to get in touch with you! Yep, Waynesboro and Staunton are neighbors! Holly (Pink Princess) is here too. There are several of us in the area, but not many on the boards. This board is a wonderful source of information, support, and friendship in our little world of WLS! So, you're in the process of trying to get approval? What doctor/hospital, etc.? Let me know if I can do anything for you or answer any questions. (540-292-5058) Thanks for your offer of help-it means a lot to me! Hope to hear from you soon! JoAnn
prissy25
on 4/23/06 5:41 am - Barboursville, VA
Welcome Back Joann hope to see you next week. Feel better soon.
*~Tigger~ *
on 4/23/06 5:53 am - Staunton, VA
Thanks, Melinda! I plan on being there even if I am in a brace and on drugs! JoAnn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views