New to board/pre op testing

Michele R.
on 4/22/06 11:23 am - Pittsfield, MA
Hi! I am Shele 32 y/o Navy Wife...mother of 2. We are about to be in Virginia in late June and I wanted to get to know some ppl there that are going through the same things I am. I am a pre op. I have been working on getting this surgery for YEARS now. I have had many obsitcles and road blocks but I am determined to get this right this time. I had my initial consult a few days ago and have had some bloodwork to get things rolling a little. I also have my dates for all of my testing except for my psych eval. The nurse said they would contact me with a date and time. I don't need all of the testing but I do need the following. Nutrition Consult. Persantine Stress Test/Scan. RUQ Ultra Sound. and an Upper Endoscopy. The only one's I am really curious about are the EGD *endoscopy* that is going to be done under sedation to check for a hyatal hernia. And the Stress test which is some sort of radiation die that is placed into my veins and goes directly to the veins surrounding the heart. Has anyone had these tests done? I am very curious to know how they went and what all it involved other than the obvious tube down the throat and an IV for the radiation type liquid. I am a Tricare Prime patient. I am praying that THIS time all goes well. As the years pass that I try to get this done my health seems to deteriorate. I am far to young for this to be happening. I have two little ones and they really want Mom up and about! I am so excited to get to know you all. Hope everyone pre and post op is doing well and having a great evening! Hugs! Shele
~ Julie ~
on 4/22/06 1:25 pm - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
I would not worry about the endoscopy at all. For mine, I had to strip to the waist, and then hop on a gurney. Then a nurse came in and asked me a thousand questions and did an EKG (the most painful part of which was pulling the little stickers off) and started an IV. Then we moved back into the EGD room which looked like a regular Dr's office exam room, only there was a TV with some weird crap on it which turned out to be the camera resting on a washcloth (It looked like an alien landscape). The anesthesiologist came and talked about risks of anesthesia. Told me she has dreams about anesthesizing her kids. Then the gastroenterologist came in, I met him for a few seconds (the only time I ever met him). They put the bite block in, and then the anesthesiologist told me they were starting the medication. The next thing I knew the bed was moving and I was asking them when they were going to start. They laughed and said it was over (which I verified when I looked at the clock and it was 20 minutes later. They also gave me some cool color pictures). Aside from a very minor sore throat that went away in about 10 minutes, it was a BREEZE. The easiest test I had to go through. I didn't have to go through any of the other tests you described, but good luck to you with them. Julie (4 days post op)
Michele R.
on 4/23/06 12:10 am - Pittsfield, MA
Thank you so much Julie! Your post was very informative and humor filled. Sometimes all it takes to rest someones mind is a little laugh. You are very kind! You are 4 days post op? How are you feeling? Hugs! Shele
~ Julie ~
on 4/23/06 4:18 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
Yep, I'm only a few days post op. I won't lie, this process hurt probably more than anything I've ever done before. I haven't had any kids though, and from what I hear, that is worse than this (I had Lap RNY). Its a real process getting in water and protein shakes, but I do a little more each day. I've even managed most of my vitamins today (well, so far). Next week, I look forward to puree! Yeah! It really is like being reborn, at least as far as your digestive system goes. Good luck to you, and let me know if you have any questions. If I can't answer them, I probably know someone who can! Julie
Betsy Anitahug
on 4/23/06 12:48 am - Danville, VA
Welcome Shele...Wow, you have found the right board to make friends...this board it awsome... Glad you were able to find us. We get together alot and have a blast. I have made some of the best friends I have EVER had through here. Everyone is so caring and loving. Lots of support here and alot of information. We have a few guru's and are passionate about helping. What part of VA are you going to move to? I live in Danville which is off the beaten path but I do get to go to some of the events they have here. Again, welcome and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you have your surgery soon. Keep us updated. Hugs, Betsy
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/06 1:50 am - Remington, VA
Welcome to the VA board and VA alike!!! I'm an Air Force wife, 35, with two sons. I had my surgery 6 weeks ago.....and time flies! Sometimes it doesn't seem like it, but it does! You're welcome to read my profile. I didn't have to do all that except for the nutrtion and psych consult. I was able to get away with doing the H. PYlori test to rule out ulcers. Good luck on all your preop adventures! Kirsten
Christine Hood
on 4/23/06 4:31 am - Fort Eustis, VA
Welcome Shele! This board is really great! All of that testing you are doing...is it for your insurance or the doctor? If you're moving to Virginia in June, are you having the surgery in VA or somewhere else? If you are going to change docs mid stream, you may want to check on all of those requirements because all doctors vary on the requirements. Where in VA are you moving? Good Luck! Christine
Michele R.
on 4/23/06 7:08 am - Pittsfield, MA
Hey all and ty so much for the warm welcome! I will be moving to Norfolk into Navy housing. The surgery will be done here but I will be making trips back and forth from VA to MA to get my post op check ups done. Not a big deal as I will be coming back to my hometown to get them done. Dh took recruiting duty in my hometown so we could get a chance to be around family for a bit. All the pre op appts are for my own safety before the surgery. With my medical status and my family history these are a must to prevent any surgical horrors. My PCM hasn't had them ordered my Bariatric Surgeon has. I must say to all that I have been going through this CIRCUS for almost 5 years! Every time I have tried there has been some sort of block in my way. First time I got a date and then my DH was scheduled to transfer so since he wasn't going to be there for me I was BUMPED off the list. Then when I got to our next duty station I was denied. After that I tried to get into another program but the fee was kinda high and we really werent financially ready to take on that just yet so I went back to trying on my own. And here I am now. I paid the 750.00 program fee and things are rolling along nicely. Please pray for me any of you that do and for those of you that don't just send some positive vibes for me. I really do need this and am doing anything I can to get it done this time. Thanks again. Hope I answered everyones ?'s. I think I did. *giggles* Hugs! Shele
Sporty Jill
on 4/23/06 9:35 pm - Norfolk, VA
Welcome to the VA board, Shele. You won't find a neater group of woman anywhere else. We are all in various stages, which is GREAT, as we undertake our journeys. There is always someone here to cheer you on, send ya a hug or to answer what you think is the stupidest question on earth (and NO, they won't tell you it was stupid, either). They listen to the rants and even give a few back. Sounds like you will be having your surgery in MA and then coming here. Did I get that right? Well, good luck to you! Do you have a surgery date yet? Keep us posted. Jill 263/182/145
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views