10 days post-op and weak....help!

amyb66
on 4/20/06 7:32 am - Bolling AFB, DC
I was put on "better" pain medication and I think it may now be under control, I can actually walk without being bent half way over. BUT, I am super weak. I actually haven't had alot of protein yet because I was basically focusing on keeping hydrated this past 10 days and getting rid of the pain. What do you use for protein? I tried a profect the other day (the yellow one) and I could not even drink 1/4 of it...yuk! I was so hoping I'd like them because I keep hearing that they are much better tasting and smaller portion than other protein drinks!! What foods at the liquid stage (1-2 weeks post op) can I be getting protein from?
Sporty Jill
on 4/20/06 7:32 am - Norfolk, VA
I remember how tough it was to eat and drink. I remember thinking, "My goodness, there is NO WAY that I can do this!". But, you do. You have to. 1-2 weeks post op, I would add unflavored protein poweder to my broths. Usually about 1/4 scoop for 1/4 cup, but every little bit helps. I would have non-flavored plain yogurt every morning, and I would add 1/4 scoop of flavored protein powder to it. Before surgery, I purchased a sample pack of protein powders to see what I would like, etc. Well, some of the flavors were orange cream, banana and cinnamon. Those, I added to my yogurt to add flavor. I also sipped protein drinks during the day. Helps with getting hydrated and meeting your protein needs. Oh, and I HATED the Profect also. I could not stand it and refuse to try it again. But, hope this helps and keep up the great work. it does get a bit easier as time goes long. Jill 263/183/145
Kathy & Rich
on 4/20/06 7:32 am - Fairfax, VA
Hey, Amy! Its hard to get enough protein and liquids in immediately post-op. I was on liquids for 1 week, I think. I did add some Unjury unflavored protein to broth. I also was doing protein shakes. They weren't easy early on. I stayed clear of milk products since they seemed to be rough on me and too heavy so I made shakes with water. Brands like Nectar. It wasn't easy getting them in but it does help with strength. Be patient with yourself. You'll be able to get better hydrated and more protein in soon. Be well, Kathy
Betsy Anitahug
on 4/20/06 7:32 am - Danville, VA
Oh, Sweetie..I know what you are going through...but it does get better..as far as the protein..I like the Nectar...they are light and I mix them with my Crystal light. The Carribean Cooler goes well with the orange and the Lemonade goes good with the tea. I can't handle the milk based proteins...Your strength will come back soon...just relax. Right now you are in starving mode and your body doesn't like it. Good luck and I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Betsy
cpatters
on 4/20/06 7:32 am - Rockingham County, VA
Hang in there, you are going to be weak for a while. I was in pain for almost 5 weeks. I did not worry too much about protein the first 2 weeks, I concentrated mostly on gaining some of my streanth back. I mostly ate watery cream of wheat with spenda, SF jello, SF popcycles. I would make a protein shake, but would only drink a few sips at a time. I know it is hard, but you can do it. Take your time... give your self a chance to heal. It takes longer than you think. Cathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views