Lesson of the week

Julie R.
on 4/16/06 10:58 pm - Belspring, VA
Well, this past week hasn't been as good as others, but I only have myself to blame. I only lost 1#. On Saturday I decided to start recording what I eat & drink again (I've slacked off for almost a month). Well, I was shocked to see that I am NOT getting in the liquids & protien I need. In fact, on Saturday, even with writing everything down, I only got in 36 oz of liquid. Now the other down side, I have been eating too much carb based food. In my mind, I justified that they were whole wheat products and had 3 grams of protien per serving. Well, with those crunchy foods, I can actually eat a serving At least I'm catching on to it early and can make the adjustment. I also found the no sugar ice cream sandwiches. I ate almost a whole one the first day; as soon as I noticed what I was doing, I got disgusted with myself and threw the remaining 2-3 bites on the ground outside The next time I ate one, I cut it in half first. I'm going to try to stay away from them in addition to the bad carbs; I really don't need to get into the habit. If I really need something sweet, I can just grab a sugar free hard candy (fewer calories). At least this week has been a wake up call. See how easy it can be to mess up this surgery! I should post my hospital bill up at home & in my office to remind me of what I went through; I can't mess this up. By the way, I'm so glad this was covered by insurance. The total surgery came to over $32,000 (closer to $35,00 if you add in the pre-surgery testing); I paid $300. Lesson learned: Write it all down, it's surprising what goes (and doesn't go) in your mouth when your not thinking!!! Thanks for listening! Have to go write down my protien drink in my journal now Julie 237/203/165/135 pre-op/now/dr's goal/my goal
A10sFrau
on 4/16/06 11:12 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
I did the same thing! I read about people having popcorn, so I did too! After all, 1/2 bag was 4 g protein . Thank goodness I had kept up the fluid and had gotten at least 50 g protein everyday. BUT I found that wasn't enough! I now eat at least 70 and intend to discuss this with my surgeon who says AT LEAST 50 g protein. Well, I did not get sick or lack energy, but I also didn't lose very fast. I am still not losing as fast as others, but it is consistent and certainly FASTER than it was there for a while. (Nat, go ahead and say "I told you so". I deserve it ). Also, ditto here on the no added sugar Klondike bars. I eat only 1/4 at a time, otherwise it is 180 wasted calories. I stick to sf popsicles. Even have to watch the no added sugar fudgesicles. Good thing you figured it out early. I had learned the food diary lesson was back when I did a spell with Weigh****chers. As soon as I stopped keeping the diary, down I fell. I have tried to used fitday.com but find I prefer writing everything in a notebook. Hooray for you, starting it up again so soon. One day I am going to come down around lunch time and see if both you and Melissa can have lunch with me. Guess I'll have to wait until school is out. It will be great to talk to two friends who are going through the same things. Lois
Julie R.
on 4/16/06 11:24 pm - Belspring, VA
That would be great! I'm typically pretty flexible when it comes to lunch. Occasionally, I have a student presentation scheduled before or after, but only occasionally. Julie
Betsy Anitahug
on 4/17/06 1:45 am - Danville, VA
Hi Julie....I think I am going to have to get to counting and watching what I am eating and drinking....I am at a standstill again and it is getting old. We both started out around the same weight and I think that since we only needed to lose around 100 pounds, it seems to go off slower...maybe? Hopeful thinking. Anyway, thanks for the infor....I am going to start checking... Hugs, Betsy
kizie23
on 4/17/06 8:31 am - blacksburg, VA
Julie, I know what you are going through. I am so glad that I found fitday.com that has been how I have kept up with what I am eating. I am doing much better now with my protein and with fluids in general. I am sure that everything is going to get back on track. Melissa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views