Fifteen (15) vials of BLOOD!

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/06 9:17 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Leland, Normally - that's about what they take from me, 5 or 6 vials - give or take a oz. of blood. I posted this to the main board and the grads board too - and got some great replies and insight. One of the ladies that replied said her doctor pulls 12 vials EACH and EVERY time she goes in for labwork. I was kinda surprised and Im hoping she'll send me a copy of the tests she has run so I can make a comparison. LOL - yep, fasting can suck, and Im not even a breakfast eater - what drives me bonkers is that I can't have my COFFEE!!!! The day I had 15 vials pulled, I'd gone about 15 hours with NO food - only tons and tons of water, I was tired, I was hungry, I was cranky and I was dealing with the "Virginia Beach Military Clinic" and they ALL hate their freakn jobs there. Did I forget to mention I was also PMS-ing? Talk about a LETHAL combination.
Lelandmm
on 4/14/06 12:25 am - Chesapeake, VA
Lei- We are lucky that no one at the clinic is missing their head. If I had been that long without my iced tea, I am SURE I would have bitten someone's head off! Thank goodness I dont get the PMS anymore. If I had no caffeine and PMS, I would go postal and take the whole place down with me! I'm going to go visit the vampire next week when I have 2 days off. 5 more vials. But I'm carrying my shake, so as soon as they are done sucking my blood, I can get something in my body. I will get a bad headache if I don't eat. So I REALLY hate the fasting tests. Wish me luck that I don't bite anyone's head off next week! Leland
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/06 12:53 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Wishing you ALL kinds of luck with next weeks testing, or at the very least - have a good camera handy?? If any heads get bitten off I wanna see the pics!!!!!
Ernurse323
on 4/13/06 12:21 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Leilani !!! Dang..you are gonna need to be transfused. I hope they drew a type and screen with all that !!!...lol Seriously...there is a max you are allowed to pull off of a patient at one time..but hopefully some of your vials were the mini ones Is your thyroid level ok? What dose are you on? Hopefully that is the reason for the hair loss, brittle nail, mental confusion and "lethargy"..not laziness. You are FAR from lazy... When I think of lazy I picture someone stretched out on a couch eating bonbons ordering people to do things...lol ( Hey..maybe wouldn't be a bad life..hehehe) Speaking of bonbons..are you getting ANY carbs/sugars at all? You know the brain can't utilize the protein shakes..it needs glucose. I wonder if that is why your BS is so low. But now I am no expert on all this WLS..... I still can't figure out why I puke after everything I eat... My family has gotten use to it. I am still on all liquids..no 3 meals a day here unless I wanna be wretching all day and night. Hopefully your labs wont take that long to get back and the problems can be corrected. You do some so compliant with your meds/vitamins. You are a roll model for all of us on the Va board. If you find that you are not satisfied with this doctor after a while I can give you the name of mine. She is the director of Tricare Boone and has an outside practice..bariatrics/Family Practice. She has refered pt's for surgery and is very accomidating if there are things/tests you feel that you need. She is also a very good friend of mine. I wouldn't have gotten this far without her. I hope you get to feeling better. I had no idea you were having all these issues. Take care of yourself..Oh..and I tried Froogle for the AchievOnes and I can't find those bad boys... I am addicted and need more soon !!! Big Hugs, Dana
(deactivated member)
on 4/13/06 9:31 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
G'morning Dana!!! Between you and Eileen (both nurses) ...next time I go to see the vampires, Im taking you both with me!! Eileen questioned me on the vials in some emails we were "rapid firing" yesterday morning... and YES, they were a variety of sizes, with red, blue, purple (and maybe a green?) top. If I remember correctly, the RED vials were the largest vials, and there were probably 5 of those? I dunno - the nurse (or is it a lab techie? not sure) but the lady drawing my blood said it would be every bit as much as a PINT by the time they filled up the vials, which is MORE then they take when I donate to a blood bank. What really shocked me? KNOWING they were going to take that much from me, they had no "preventative" plan in motion - you know, simple stuff, like crackers, juice, SOMETHING to eat - so I don't pass out. Thankfully, the peanutbutter crackers in my car, saved my loopy self. I can't help but think you are ON to something about the thyroid. OR at least Im hoping. I posted this to several message boards, hoping to get some ideas from peeps, and most of the seasoned people (7, 8 + years out) ALL thought it was thyroid related too. Several said that being lethargic, memory loss, brittle nails, loss of hair, is ALL symptoms of thyroid problems (kinda like YOU said). I'll be honest, as WONDERFUL as I am about everything else I pop in my mouth (uh, well, except some food choices) ...I never really gave my synthroid too much thought. Ive never had the FULL TSH PANEL (T3U, T4, FTI and TSH) run on my thyroid since WLS, just the typical FTI and TSH testing. This time they ARE doing a FULL panel, per my request. I also read on the OSSG grads site, that RNY patients should be taking "Armour Thyroid" which is a sub-lingual. IF, we find out that it's my thyroid that's outta whack, Im going to see if the doc will not only UP my dose, but switch me to the ARMOUR tabs. I'm HOPING it's as simple as my THYROID pill needs adjusting. I honestly don't know HOW Im going to squeeze in ONE more flippin pill/vitamin into my life. I already do 25 a day now, and each day it's getting harder and harder to smile as I pop 'em in. Thanks for your help - beautiful, btw, saw the pictures that Dianna posted - do you EVER TAKE A BAD PICTURE????? Sheeeeeeez! Er, I mean, Im happy for ya' ...lol! Hugs - Lei
cheryl_jagow
on 4/13/06 10:53 pm - CHESAPEAKE, VA
Aren't they good! I love achieve one! I wi**** didn't have caffeine in it! Wish I could buy them at a local store. I hate to buy it off the Internet!
commizzar
on 4/13/06 10:57 pm - Chesapeake, VA
Hi Dana, Could I have the name of your PCP. I am Tricare Prime and am looking for a PCP who has experience dealing with Gastric Bypass patients. I am currently 5 weeks out. Doing really good. Thanks, Kimberly Holmes
cheryl_jagow
on 4/13/06 10:54 pm - CHESAPEAKE, VA
Poor thing! No one loves needles! That's a lot of blood! I hope they find out what is going on. Best luck to you and you are in my prayers!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views