SCAR CREAM?

cheryl_jagow
on 4/12/06 12:17 pm - CHESAPEAKE, VA
Has anyone use those scar cream that fade scars away? If so whats the name of it and where did you get it? And did it really work? Thanks
Susan E.
on 4/12/06 12:32 pm - Purcellville, VA
I did try to use Mederma (there are some generics that will work just as well) But I got lazy in the application and I quit. I think it said apply 3 times a day. I figured one more scar on my belly wouldn't make a difference. The stretch marks look worse. Susan
Kathy & Rich
on 4/12/06 7:14 pm - Fairfax, VA
I used Vitamin E. Just had the little gel caps and cut them open and slapped that on there. This has been recommended after all of my surgeries (4). Right now I'm using it on my neck from that surgery and it looks pretty good for only a month and a half gone. My scars from my WLS/gallbladder surgery are tiny and some are even hard to see. Kathy
KathieKathie
on 4/12/06 9:58 pm - Manassas, VA
I used stuff I picked up in the drug store called "scar serum." I can't remember the brand, but, that's what it was called. And it worked pretty well. It's a thick clear liquid in a dropper bottle. I think it's got vitamin E and some other things in it -- a good mix all around. My scar healed nicely, didn't itch excessively, and faded to a thin white line pretty fast (compared to the scar on my knee, which is still, 15 years later, pink in some areas). Good luck! ~Kathie
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/06 10:28 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Cheryl - I didnt use any of the scar remedies for my RNY (open) surgery scar ...just applied a lot of VIT E oil to the scarred area, but it didn't help it much and the bottom portion still went keloid on me. Here is a photo of the open RNY scar. It aint purty: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?a=67b0de21b3364ff3a40b&auto=0&idx=23&m=1&d=1144931253146 NOW all that being said? I did use HIGHLY concentrated E oil on ALL of my plastic surgery operations AND I also included the SCAR STRIPS that are now on the market. The healing process is like night and day - granted a Plastic surgeon is ALWAYS going to (or better) leave with you with a better incision scar then a normal surgeon - but I also attribute the healing to MY aftercare. This is a picture of my stomach AFTER the tummy tuck - and it has what is known as an ANCHOR incision. In other words, cut from breast bone to pubic bone and you'll see --- several months later, there was absolutely NO sign of a scar. http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d823b3127cce91a76d281b2400000026108AcNWjdq5cNl I used NEO-strips on my arms too - thank goodness. I had an arm lift done about a year ago. Although the right arm came out picture perfect, no puckering, very thin line - etc, the left arm was not nearly as 'fine tuned'. There was some major puckering in areas and lots of excess swelling and knots. Because of that I decided to check into scar strips and even went so far as to have my PS Nurse write me up a script for them. Tricare-Military actually picked up the tab on ONE box, with no refills. That being said, I like the results from these strips SO MUCH that I forked over the next $30 to get a second box for treatment. If you decide to use them - one tip that I'd like to share. Take one of the individual strip(s) and cut it into THREE thin long strips. I find that the strips provided are TOO wide and tend to be a waste of product. It's a lot more cost effective to use ONE strip cut into three other strips (per scar line) then to use several packets. Hope that makes sense I tend to over explain. One more thing - THEY are NOT as adhesive as they like to advertise. The first time I tried just using them on my arm, by themselves, they started rolling up on each other within 2 hours or so. Instead, I found it works SO MUCH BETTER if you wait till the early evening (when you're inbound for the night) ...cut up the three small strips, lay them over the line of the scar. Then take an ace bandage or something with adhesive backing and wrap it around (or place it on) the scar area to secure it and just plan on keeping it on all night, even while sleeping. They recommend that you do it daily, with 12 hour wearings. Good luck - Lei
LB
on 4/13/06 6:06 am - Northern, VA
I use mederma. I like it, but it gets itchy sometimes. Its in a white tube with a green-blue cap. You can find it at any drug store. I used it with my knee surgeries and those scars have practically dissapeared.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views