confused

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/06 6:39 am - Remington, VA
OK I am four weeks post op as of tomorrow. I dont want to sound like i'm complaining, but I think this is weird. I have tolerated all the foods I've tried. The only thing I do not like is one of the protein drinks I have a near full container of, Nectar Fuzzy Naval(should have known not to buy it, not a big fan of peachy flavored things). I've eaten scrambled eggs(plain and with cheese), RF corned beef hash, yogurt, country style pork ribs(very tender--tiny bites, well chewed), refried beans, mashed pots, Special K high Protein cereal soaked in milk, oatmeal, cream of wheat, maltomeal, shrimp, soups, chicken salad, tuna salad, yu get the picture. I only dumped once and that was after the chicken salad at a Bob Evans restaurant....probably too high in sugar in mayo(I use Miracle WHip light in my meat salads). I haven't had any problem with food sticking or vomiting. I guess I'm doing pretty good keeping things under 3 ounces even though I'm not measuring....more eyeballing. The other day I took my son to Dairy Queen and he had a Blizzard. I wanted to see if it would taste any different to me....nope and had no reaction to it! I had three tiny bites. I'm in this for the long haul. I researched this surgery to no end in the 6 months it took for approval and the 2 years before that I actually had just given thought to it. My mom had it in 99. She couldn't even fathom trying some of the things I've eaten with in her first month. And to this day sugary things....ice cream cause her to dump. Now this being said I think our bypassses are at different locations. Does anyone know/understand the difference in distal or proximal bypass? I'm not clear to which mine is. My surgeon said he tends to leave it longer so that there is less frequency of dumping syndrome. I'm doing well with the vitamins, protein, and water. As of last Thursday I was down 24 lbs. So I thnk I'm doing very well I just expected this road to be a little more trial and error as far as consumption goes. ONce again I dont want to sound like I'm complaining. I'm truly baffled right now after eating a piece of toast--Arnold brand Carb Counting, multi grain.....6 g carbs per slice, 5 g protein! I spread some tuna salad on it.....and ate the whole thing. That's the largest amount I've eaten at once....and wont do it again. I of course dont fel full, but a little on the uncomfortable side yes. So I've learned that that was def too much! But as to anything else I"m confused! Thanks for reading this! And for any advice, suggestion y9ou might have for me! Kirsten
DawnVA
on 4/10/06 7:06 am - VA
Some people will disagree with me and maybe I'm too direct but I'm gonna lay out my opinion here. Take it however you wish...I'm 10 months out and down 93 pounds if that factors into things. For four weeks out you are eating WAY too much in the way of variety. This is the time when you can potentially stretch your totally unhealed pouch and maybe not even feel it. (At four weeks, I was still eating runny mashed potatoes and yogurt.) Also, there's no way you should have even gone near that Dairy Queen stuff. Besides the fact that WLS patients should avoid processed sugar, 4 weeks out is too early to be testing your body. The same with the bread...hard core WLS patients NEVER eat bread...ever. But most generally-compliant patients will avoid bread for many months...and then only have it on rare occasions. I would much prefer to be in your Mom's shoes...having sugary foods affect me badly. Since I choose to stay clear of sugar and never know for sure how it affects me, my brain associates sugar with sickness and I'm much better for it. As I said, blow off my opinion as garbage or whatever noun you choose. I am no doctor. But just because your body CAN take it now (1) doesn't mean you can later and (2) doesn't mean your brain will make the distinction later...which may lead you back into the bad eating habits that led you to this surgery in the first place. Just trust that this is the advice I have lived on and know from experience that the brain leads the body. For what it's worth... Dawn
Kathy & Rich
on 4/10/06 7:42 am - Fairfax, VA
A distal RNY means that more of the intestine is bypassed then a proximal. Proximal means less is bypassed. Medial is somewhere in the middle. If your surgeon said he was lessening your chances of dumping - then he most likely made you proximal. I think most post-ops are probably proximal though I'm sure it depends on your surgeon and how much weight you have to lose. As for eating... you are eating many things I didn't and actually still don't. I have never eaten a whole slice of bread in 10 months post-op. I'm carb sensitive and really try to avoid the starchy carbs and still try to this day try to keep my focus on proteins. I never got into the cereal, milk, cream of wheat, etc early post-op either. I ate proteins that were cooked moistly and pureed - and that was for 10 weeks - things like chicken, fish, pork. I waited for a while for beef. I still haven't consciously tried anything with sugar but I've dumped on ulcer medication that has sugar in it and my calcium citrate wafers so I know my tolerance appears to be way low. I'm very content with occassional sugar free treats but try to keep them to a minimum if I can. Don't want to get that sweet craving thing going if I can avoid it. Advice... well, I'd suggest keeping your focus on the dense proteins and non-starchy vegies followed by lower sugar fruits. Keep those breads and such to a minimum and only a bite or two if you have room after the other stuff. I don't know that it is weird that you tolerate things - many folks don't know what we could have tolerated or wouldn't tolerate because we didn't experiment alot. I am surprised however that you can eat a whole slice of bread with some tuna on it and not have a problem or be full or even overfull. I just don't know. Best wishes to you! Your weight loss is excellent! Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/06 8:45 am - Remington, VA
Kathy, Thank you! I appreciate your construct! I Cant believe I ate it and wont ever again. I did feel crummy afterward! It all get so confusing how so many people have different surgeons and protcols. Mine isn't the best as far as a diet plan, and I only saw my nutritionist once. I need to make an appointment with erh. The thing that hold sme back there is I was the first ever GB patient she'd seen! So I've dpended a lot on OH, and a friend I have that's post op from Portsmouth Naval's WLS program. By the way your success is awesome too! Kirsten
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/06 8:27 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
OK I am four weeks post op as of tomorrow. I dont want to sound like i'm complaining, but I think this is weird. I have tolerated all the foods I've tried. The only thing I do not like is one of the protein drinks I have a near full container of, Nectar Fuzzy Naval(should have known not to buy it, not a big fan of peachy flavored things). I've eaten scrambled eggs(plain and with cheese), RF corned beef hash, yogurt, country style pork ribs(very tender--tiny bites, well chewed), refried beans, mashed pots, Special K high Protein cereal soaked in milk, oatmeal, cream of wheat, maltomeal, shrimp, soups, chicken salad, tuna salad, yu get the picture. I only dumped once and that was after the chicken salad at a Bob Evans restaurant....probably too high in sugar in mayo(I use Miracle WHip light in my meat salads). I haven't had any problem with food sticking or vomiting. I guess I'm doing pretty good keeping things under 3 ounces even though I'm not measuring....more eyeballing. *** Reply to the above .. The food choices sound great here . As to the " Light mayo " steer clear . It is full of sugar . When they take out the fat they must replace it with something to make it taste better and that something is SUGAR ... ***** The other day I took my son to Dairy Queen and he had a Blizzard. I wanted to see if it would taste any different to me....nope and had no reaction to it! I had three tiny bites. ** Tough Love here sweety pea . Stay the ham fats outa Dairy Queen !! Dairy Queen has probably contributed to more weight gains than ever known .. nothing in that place is good for you . If you want ice cream .. Make a SF - or No sugar added --- from ice cream you make yourself .. Or you can try the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches -- or the Blue Bunny Icecream - all found at Walmare Do not start testing the waters .. you need to stay with your WLS lifestyle .. ***** My mom had it in 99. She couldn't even fathom trying some of the things I've eaten with in her first month. And to this day sugary things....ice cream cause her to dump. Now this being said I think our bypassses are at different locations. Does anyone know/understand the difference in distal or proximal bypass? **** I will send you literature on this sweety .. way to complicated for me to add here .. so you will have email on this shortly . I'm not clear to which mine is. My surgeon said he tends to leave it longer so that there is less frequency of dumping syndrome. If this is the case you had Distal .. see literature I send you . I'm doing well with the vitamins, protein, and water. As of last Thursday I was down 24 lbs. So I thnk I'm doing very well I just expected this road to be a little more trial and error as far as consumption goes. ONce again I dont want to sound like I'm complaining. **** Keep it real and simple .. follow your physicians proticol . Goals .. right now .. do not worry about them .. your weight loss will happen whether you want it to or not . The success you have is determined by what you put in your mouth .. your dedication to your exersise , Water and vitamins and Protien .. you are doing excellent -- just keep it up ! ** I'm truly baffled right now after eating a piece of toast--Arnold brand Carb Counting, multi grain.....6 g carbs per slice, 5 g protein! I spread some tuna salad on it.....and ate the whole thing. That's the largest amount I've eaten at once....and wont do it again. I of course dont fel full, but a little on the uncomfortable side yes. So I've learned that that was def too much! But as to anything else I"m confused! *** Sweety it is ALL trial and error . What works for some may not work for others .. I could sit here and give you a list of stuff I can not eat .. but changes daily .. I swear to ya .. just know what works for you .. and keep to it . ***********
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/06 8:47 am - Remington, VA
Natalie!!! Thank you! I look forward to the email! Thanks most of all for reminding me this is going to happen any way about it! And I am learning!!!! TYTYTY Kirsten
fishtayl
on 4/11/06 5:48 am - Bealeton, VA
Oh Kirsten, We are all different. I in no way could have tolerated all the things you listed at 4 weeks post op. Try to stay away from the carbs this early on and don't try any more sugar things if you can at all avoid it. This is the early 'honeymoon' stage you are in when the weight melts off. Try to get back on track and email me if I can help. Best of Luck Ginny
Ernurse323
on 4/10/06 9:46 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Kirsten.... I think you are testing the waters because you are grieving the loss of something that was a major part of your life. Shoot...before this surgery..if I had to choose between my husband and a box of Twinkies..he just might have lost out !!!! All I can say is, " I hear ya !!!!" This is just a big transition. Big hugs, Dana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views