Diet Soda

almcdowell
on 4/5/06 2:47 am - Newport News, VA
How soon after bypass can you have something carbonated.
Donut22kids
on 4/5/06 3:50 am - Jeffersonton, VA
My doctor and nutritionist both said never. The carbonation will expand the pouch. Some people have said that they drank soda and it just foamed out of there mouths, I really do not wish to experience either, since I went through so much with my surgery. Donna
Julie R.
on 4/5/06 4:31 am - Belspring, VA
Both my doctor and nutritionist say the same thing, don't drink it. He used to allow it, but has since changed his mind over the past few years. They told me the only way I should drink it (if I have to) is flat. I figure, what's the point them I do know some people in my support group who do drink them, but I would rather not take the chance. Good luck! Julie 237/207/165/135 preop/current/drs goal/my goal
Amy Z.
on 4/5/06 5:18 am - ALEXANDRIA, VA
Same here, Dr. say's but if your's will let you, you should call him to see. i think most people wait about 6months out. hope this help's Amy
Lelandmm
on 4/5/06 5:46 am - Chesapeake, VA
Both my surgeon and dietician sad absolutely NO, Forever! Nothing at all with bubbles. So no beer, champagne, Barcardi Silver type drinks, wine coolers, soda, ginger ale, nothing. Now, I was A BIG Pepsi drinker pre-op, I thought not being able to have a Pepsi for the rest of my life would just kill me. But it hasn't. It has actually been fairly easy. I drank a good amount of tea before, and now I am a total tea ***** I bring my Splenda with me everywhere, make tea at work, make it by the gallon at home. Anytime we go out, I get unsweet tea and plop the Splenda in it and I am good to go. I carry the Crystal Light Diet Peach Tea shakers with me when I am going to something like a football game or event where they only sell bottled water as the only non-carbonated option. My husband has been having this ongoing GI issue with carbonation. (he hasn't had RNY). If he drinks carbonation and eats, he will puke up what he eats. So since he can't have it, and I can't, its all diet tea and diet lemonade. But ....... I have a friend who had RNY by another doc, and he said carbonation is OK! When we go out, she gets diet soda and she's like 7 mos post op and I'm 20 mos. I'm just not brave enough to temp fate. I've had one sip of Diet Dr Pepper Cherry Vanilla and one sip of champagne and I burped like crazy from both, so I'm just going to leave it alone! Leland
xray
on 4/5/06 9:11 am - Quinton, VA
The MCV physicians' say its' ok as long as it's sugar free! I don't drink a lot of it, but once in a while its' a nice treat-and I just sip on it-no gulps! Debbie
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/06 9:17 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello April - My doc never had any issues/problems with carbonated drinks - he just wanted them calorie free! I'm OVER 3 years post op and still canNOT drink soda. It's just too much bubbly going down, leaves me burpin' and my stomach rumbling, so I just don't bother. Friends have suggested letting it go flat, but then Im stuck with a syrup type juice, it's no longer SODA POP!! What does your doctors plan say/allow?
A10sFrau
on 4/5/06 11:18 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
AS I sit here I am sipping on a sugar free MDX. I have BEEN sipping on it since I bought it at 6pm. I started trying small amounts of diet pepsi about 3 weeks ago. The first drink, and second and third I have to let bubble up in my mouth BEFORE I swallow. I burp a lot right away. The first drinks last about 20 minutes. When I go back for another drink, it is a little flatter. This goes on for hours. The sugar-free drink sure satisfies when I want something sweet and can't afford any calories. I only have one or two a week. Just my experience. I am not advising anyone to go against her doctor's orders. I am an MCV patient, and these drinks are allowed eventually by our doctors. Lois
WendyNVA
on 4/5/06 12:09 pm - Va Beach, VA
Hey April, My surgeon said No soda.. I took him literally. That was 4.5 years ago, and I've not yet had a soda, s/f or not. That being said, a few weeks ago I experimented with a carbonated adult beverage (smirnoff ice) and I didn't have any problems with it. and have had it twice since.. I actually liked the fact that it made me burp... I was practically giddy over that, actually, since I hadn't had a good "burp" in 4.5 years! lol. Meanwhile, I would still tell anyone to obstain from carbonation .. it just cant be healthy, can it? I still haven't even tried a diet coke... which floors me! Wendy
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/06 9:36 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Wendy wrote: .."since I hadn't had a good "burp" in 4.5 years!" LOL - um, girlfriend??? Oh redheaded twin a'mine, I beg to differ!! (and Lei don't beg often) ...but I know for a fact, it's NOT been 4.5 years. MY silly but hasn't known you that long and you've been known to blow my hair into my face a time or two!! [smirk'n and burp'n as I type this - perfect lady that I am!]
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views