SMOKING & PS !!!!

wlsurvivor
on 4/5/06 1:00 am - Marshall, VA
Hi Natalie, My plastic surgeon explained to me why it is so critical to stop smoking before plastic surgery and the reasons may surprise you. Your current state of health has nothing to do with it and neither does the well known fact that smoking is bad for you. The reason is because the nicotene in your blood constricts the blood vessels and makes the five or six hours you are under anethesia VERY dangerous to your health. You CANNOT quit using the gum or the patch either because you are still constricting the blood vessels ingesting the nicotene. I have a friend who used my plastic surgeon also and he made her go totally nicotene free for 30 days prior to surgery; so maybe you could use the patch, etc. for the first two months and then go cold turkey. Please check with your doctor. It is critical to your health. Another tip: purchase a memory foam mattress pad (4" thick) to put between your sheets (LLBean has them w/ cotton zip covers). You will be able to rest pain free on these pads after surgery and be able to get the rest you need. I had a lower body lift and couldn't have made it without this pad. Many of my fellow WLSers have used them, too, and swear by them. I bought a twin size one so I could drag it to the couch, recliner, etc. Just my 2 cents and because I care! Good Luck! Hugs, Karen -Hope to see you in June in Richmond! Thanks for all you do!
Kathy & Rich
on 4/5/06 1:31 am - Fairfax, VA
You caring is worth so very much more than 2 cents. Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/06 5:44 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
My Dear Dear Karen , Kathy is so right . Your 2 Cents is priceless. He did explain to me why . And honestly . I did already know it as I have had so many surgeries prior . I so appreciate your love and guidance . Monday is my date to quit . And I will need every bit of postive engergies.. I can do it .. I have done it before . I quite on time before for 4 years and had a crisis and started back . I also quit for my RNY and like a BIG DUMMY . Started back again . I can do this .. .. and again .. I so appreciate you and everyone else that has supported me . Much love , Natalie
Ernurse323
on 4/5/06 1:43 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey Guys.... Natalie ..I know you can do it !!! You have the inner strength to do anything you set your mind to. Friday I will tell you about a patient that I had several years ago that had plastic surgery who didn't stop. The story will top off your motivation to quit !!!..lol Hugs, Dana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views