Self Pay vs CIGNA

Janet H.
on 4/1/06 4:02 am - Newport News, VA
I would like to hear from those who made the decision to "self pay" for their WLS, especially if you have been denied by CIGNA. I have submitted the paperwork to CIGNA, but have not heard back yet. Because there is a high probability that I will be denied (after all, it is CIGNA I'm dealing with!), I would like to hear about the expeirence of others who paid out of pocket. Thanks, Janet
~ Julie ~
on 4/1/06 7:02 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
Okay, I have Anthem HealthKeepers, which quite possibly might be the worst insurance ever. They won't pay for ANYTHING (except maybe the sleep study, which was ordered by my PCP, here's keeping my fingers crossed) So in January, my father (who is also having WLS, but his insurance pays) offered to pay for me. This is the breakdown so far (and it could be totally different for you, I'm in NOVA, while I notice you are in Newport News) Consult: $500 (submitted to insurance, denied) PRE OP TESTING: (I think people sometimes fail to take this into consideration) $1986.40 for EGD $1178.91 for central testing (gallbladder sonogram, blood work, urinalysis, chest x ray and nurse interview) $2000 anesthesiologist $5500 surgeon's fee $14000 hospital stay Grand Total: $25165.31 Bear in mind that I was told that since I was a self pay, they took 35% off the total costs for the testing and such (I wonder if that includes the anesthesiologist and hospital stay, I'll find out next week when I pay those) This is for Fair Oaks Hospital, in Fairfax, VA. Hope this helps. I cannot believe how lucky I am.
bkhunter68
on 4/1/06 8:28 am - VA
OH .com membership =free WLS = $25165.31 My sister in law same time next year = priceless
cappymoon
on 4/2/06 9:11 am - Northern, VA
Aww, honey, I liked that one!!! This is soooo true!!!
Ernurse323
on 4/1/06 10:16 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey There Janet !! Dr Clark did my surgery on March 7th of this year. I have started to get in bills now. A few have already been paid by my insurance company and others are still "pending"...soooo if you email me I can send you a copy of the EXACT amount billed to my insurance company and myself for the hospital, doctor, pre-op testing, and other tests. Good Luck on your decision. I switched from Tricare Prime to Tricare Standard so I wouldn't be denied..It was a gamble. I am still waiting to see if some of these hefty bills will be paid. Dana
elvera
on 4/1/06 11:33 am - LaPlata, MD
Dana, I also did the prime to standard. I ended up paying $28.00 to the hospital out of $31,000.00 that the hospital charged tricare. Tricare only paid 8,000.00. When you have insurance they go crazy with the amout cause they know that the insurance won't pay for it all. Do you check on the computer your EOB's on Tricare site? I had Dr. T do mine Lap.by-pass. Oh meeting on the 12th about plastic surgery.
elvera
on 4/1/06 11:36 am - LaPlata, MD
Janet, I dont know CIGNIA. But I just wanted to say good luck to you. It is worth every penny. I could have done it even if my insurance didn't pay for it....
karruthers72
on 4/2/06 3:45 am - Suffolk, VA
Hi Janet, I have CIGNA and was approved and had surgery on 2-20-06. From what I have heard they have been approving more people. I too heard the horror stories but after being denied once, I supplied what they asked for and then was approved. Don't give up hope yet! Logan
Janet H.
on 4/2/06 6:56 am - Newport News, VA
Thanks so much to everyone *****plied to my question. It is reassuring to have the support and encouragement from others who understand. Janet
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views