I wrote to Oprah ..

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/06 10:09 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
I received an email today - and in it was a link to write to Oprah to tell your story about your experience with WLS .. so here is what I wrote to her .. and felt a need to post it tonight as there are many sitting here tonight with thoughts of whether they want to have the surgery .. Those that have had the surgery .. and wondering .. what the journey has for them .. My story is not unlike yours .. but I can tell you it is one of passion that I wish to pass along to you tonight .. so here it is my letter to Oprah Winfrey .. Dear Oprah, I am a 42 year young woman who 2 years ago this May , underwent Gastric Bypass Surgery . What brought me to this drastic means ? At 39 years old I was diagosed with Diabetes , and very high cholestoral . I had no idea that my weight had reached a disasterous 310 pounds . I did not see myself as this heavy .. but I was . Knowing that I had dieted all my life from the time I was in kindergarten up until surgery . I can tell you that this surgery has saved my life . I have gone from 310 pounds to 120 pounds . From a size 26 to a size 3 . Do I regret it .. NO .. is it hard .. yes it is the hardest thing I have ever had to endure .. I now watch everything I put into my mouth .. I exersise daily .. and honestly would do it over and over again to feel the way I do . I can tell you this too , I am a very proud advocate of this surgery . I serve on the Chapter Board of Team Leaders for a Web site called ObestityHelp.com I have spoken before our General Assembly trying to get a house bill passed that would mandate the insurance companies to provide this surgery . I lead a support group here in my area .. I also travel throught the state and mentor others that are about to go or have gone through the surgery . I do this .. why .. because the day I went into surgery , I laid my hands open and told God that if he pulled me through this , my life from that day would be spent help others and testifying to the masses and helping others . And here I sit .. with others that come after me .. and are enjoying a healthy life . Knowing there are those that have complications , and do not use the tool as it is intended for .. I keep on promoting it . I can only offer to those that are out there my story . It is one of success .. a success that I am proud of . There is not enough room her to tell you everthing that the surgery has to offer .. not enough time in a day to sit you down and show you my life now as compared to 2 years ago . I can now do things that I only dreamed of doing . I can fit in my car, I can walk with out my legs rubbing together , I can run like the wind , I play with my grandchildren all day , I can shop ,I am medication Free !!! No more insulin !! I have saved my family the agony of burying an obese dieing woman .. but If I died tommorow , I can say that the last 2 years of my life have been the best ever . Oh I know there are those out there that opose the surgery , that have failed at this , those that go back to their old eating habits , but I am here to tell you that if the desire to be healthy is there .. and the knowledge is given .. the tool is used .. one can overcome this and maintain their weight . Complications .. yes there are complications and I feel for those that do have them , and pray for their recovery . Me .. I am very lucky and blessed to have been given this second chance at life . Watching my father die of heart disease.. knowing that I would be next .. this is what brought me here .. and I am not turning back . Or ever giving up . My story is one like many other WLS patients , most do loose the weight and do maintain it .. but my story is one of passion and a desire to lead others to where I am .. to only feel the way I do .. but to show you how you can use the tool and never have to look back at the old ways.. to help them to understand that while this is drastic .. it takes a drastic person to reach out and grab what is here .. Life and your health back . Now that I have ranted .. I just want you to know that this surgery does work .. and to be able to show you .. to let you examine it on a daily basis .. is only the begining .. the journey never ends where a Gastric Bypass patients is concerned .. our journey is everday .. all day .. and is one that brings us a newlife . So in saying that .. I offer you me .. a Healthy .. Happy .. Self assured for the first time in her life story .. Thank you Oprah for all you do .. I hope the show is a success as I know it will be .. With much love and respect .. Natalie Carden .. Survivor !!!
prissy25
on 3/28/06 10:27 am - Barboursville, VA
I did the same my surgeons nurse sent me the link asking me if I wanted to be on Oprah of course after all Ive been threw the past 5 years Id be glad to tell my story to her so I as well sent a letter off. If we all bond together maybe things will go smoother for others, lord knows I struggled and I know there are others out there today in the same boat I was in so yes I to preach Gastric bypass it saved my life for sure. I cant wait until I can get to my goal and everything has lost an tucked. Good Luck Tink....
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/06 10:27 am - Remington, VA
Wow Natalie, As I type through the tears! If ever the day goes by anyone doubts their decision to have or why they've had this surgery that letter should def give them a boost. It has me, and I'm feeling really good already. I am uplifted by your words! I am thankful you're helping me.(I sent you an email after we posted to each other the other day. You wanted to know what I've been eating. Did you get it?) Since that day I've been more at ease and assured that what I'm doing is ok, working toward higher protein intake. From the bottom of my heart, and I hope to continue knowing you, Kirsten
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/06 10:31 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Kirsten , I am sure I have gotten your lette by now .My other email address has not been accesable until tonight . I will write you back sweety .. and I speak here with a passion .. a passion for you and helping you .. .. Take care and I will be in touch .. Natalie
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/06 10:42 am - Remington, VA
Thank you! Kirsten
Betsy Anitahug
on 3/28/06 10:53 am - Danville, VA
Nat...well I guess Oprah won't pick my pitiful story...You have a way with the words and brought tears to my eyes...I hope she picks you...you would be excellent for the show. I love you and all you do for all of us. You are truely an inspiration to me and such a wonderful friend. I love you, Nat. Hugs, Betsy
Shanana
on 3/28/06 7:30 pm - Altavista, VA
Isnt is exciting!!! I sent in mine too. Would love to see one of us va board folks on Oprah spreading the good news. Shannon
hollydecarlo
on 3/28/06 8:24 pm - hopewell, VA
wow natalie, what an amazing letter i am crying as i am writing this to you. i really hope she picks you. you have such a way with words. i wish i could write like you to tell my story but i am not a writer thats for sure. love you, holly
ElizabethC
on 3/29/06 7:17 am - Wirtz, VA
I really love your letter. I am way too new a post-op to be able to add anything to what WLS can do for your life, but am still experiencing great WOW moments even though it's a little rough-going at the moment. I get excited thinking about 6 months-plus down the road, looking back and saying "look at what I've accomplished"!! Like you said, this is NOT an easy journey, but it will totally change your life! Elizabeth
Linda Y.
on 3/30/06 11:19 am - Portsmouth, VA
Natalie, I'm so proud of you...Oprah should have you on her show, you can speak for all of us! I think I'm too new to feel this kind of passion. I hope that as time goes on I'll feel like you do today! Love You, Anastasia
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views