25 days out....will things get better than this?????

osherryo
on 3/27/06 3:09 am - Woodbridge, VA
The last couple of weeks have been really difficult. Moving on to the next phase of the diet from liquid to purreed. I have had scrambled eggs, lentils, and grits get completely stuck in my new, less than an ounce pouch. It was so severe that I could not get any water in for a 5 hour period. Which caused severe dizziness and ended up blacking out. I have now been hydrated by IV's. But now I am afraid to eat anything but liquid. Any suggestions???? Weight wise I have lost 30 pounds!
Julie R.
on 3/27/06 3:59 am - Belspring, VA
Have they checked for a stricture? I read where they sometimes occur around the 4 week mark. I'm 5 weeks out, and I am able to eat scrambled eggs, tuna salad, chicken salad, and even salmon. Of course everyone's different and my surgeon allowed me to go on pureed items immediately which may be why I am able to eat this already. The grits seems awful sticky, but I have seen where others have eatten them. I still have problems getting down oatmeal. Have you tried mixing the eggs, lentils, grits w/ milk or water to make them a thinner consistancy? I wish you the very best & hope that you get this straightened out soon. Congrats on the 30 pounds too !!! That's awesome Julie
osherryo
on 3/27/06 11:29 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Thanks Julie, I went to the surgeon's office on Friday and they don't feel that it is a stricture. But that it is still healing and I have agitated the opening. I am just doing liquids and they go down. As we all know that gets very monotonous! I just want to be healthy and not compromise my life. Thanks again for your help and encouragement, Sherry
beth-d
on 3/27/06 4:47 am - Richmond, VA
Yes- please get checked for a stricture - I am 1 month out and I was going through the same thing for over a week and finally I was just so misrable that I called the doctor and I was in for an EGD the next day! My opening was so small that nothing was passing for quite awhile - it felt like lead bricks on my chest - I couldn't even get my water in - now since they opened it up I actually feel normal and food is so much better! I can even get my water in!! Please go find out! And take care of yourself. Beth
osherryo
on 3/27/06 11:38 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Thanks Beth, The surgeons office again feels I am still with in the healing process. They are reluctant even if there would be a stricture this early to do any dialation because it then can tear and become a leak. So they set you up with IV fluids for several days until it heals itself. I am sorry to hear that you went through so much pain. I guess all of us go through many ups and downs in our journey to be healthy. Thanks again and good luck, Sherry
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views