Beware of the breakroom

Julie R.
on 3/23/06 5:01 am - Belspring, VA
Ok, now that I've had surgery and I'm back at work, I am beginning to see how distructive our break room is!!! During this week alone we had someone bring in a double chocolate cheesecake with chocolate crust, a cookies & cream pudding cake, cookies, and a bowl of chocolate balls w/caramel centers. Last week there was a b-day party. They had chocolate cake w/peanut butter center, chocolate frosting and it was covered in chocolate & P.B morsals. There has been some sort of sweet brought in each and every day!!! No wonder I couldn't lose weight!!! (Of course I had problems before I started working here.) Thankfully, I am terrified of dumping. So I'm being good and just walk by all the goodies to get my water and lunch (not at the same time ) out of the fridge. I'm really doing pretty good with keeping the temptation at bay; I just have to eat my lunch in my office until it gets warm enough to go outside. Just thought I would share. Anyone else have a workplace like this??? Julie
MrsTonyaBrown
on 3/23/06 5:24 am - Jacksonville, FL
AT my last job (I'm a stay at home mom now), my boss was evil like that. It was just me, two investigators, one contractor, and one repairman, but there were always donuts, cookies, pastries of some sort in the breakroom. And when I was pregnant and having my mood swings, he bought me 2 Snickers every day to "balance" me out, he said. LOL. I got up to 400 lbs during the pregnancy. After my daughter was born, I only went back to work for a few days to help clean up some of the projects I had left unfinished and to help train the new person. But I do know how it is to walk in and see all that gooey goodness and have to turn around and walk away. *sigh* Hugs, Tonya
Kathy & Rich
on 3/23/06 5:40 am - Fairfax, VA
My office is right by the place where all goodies get deposited. This week there was a big birthday cake and a big tin of cookies. I'm not tempted because I'm just not craving sugars and yes I'm afraid of dumping so it isn't that hard for me. I usually tell others to "have some" for me. LOL! I think it would be harder for me if there were snack foods (non-sugared) out there - something my body would tolerate. Say someone brought in tortilla chips and salsa - that would bite, big time! There are probably some goodies out there at least one day a week. I feel your pain, Kathy
TammyNVA
on 3/23/06 7:34 am - Chesterfield, VA
In my office we are ALL on some sort of weight loss program! We've made a point of NOT having junk hanging around. Even had a SUGAR-FREE birthday cake for the last birthday... ok, so it wasn't fat free, but better then regular! I keep so much food in the fridge, I end up supplying people who forgot their lunch to keep them from going out and eating fast food. Tuna kits are awesome!! Once a week we all bring in a weight-loss-friendly food and have a great buffet! Try it! Tammy
Shanana
on 3/23/06 7:32 pm - Altavista, VA
There is alot of the same at my work. Chips and chocalate are around alot. I will eat a chip once in a while. People will only give me one or two though cause they think they will make me sick. When I get on the scale is the real answer though. I know I have to be accountable to me. It is hard though. I still feel like the focus is all on food sometimes now. I know those things are evil. When I have a house full of kids and some junk food i am really tempted. When they are gone the dog gets teh junk food so i wont eat. That way both of us are happy!!!! LOL Shannon
A10sFrau
on 3/23/06 8:08 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
My "temptation" is the school cafeteria! NOT. Seriously, I was eating part of the small chef salad they sell, getting about 1 oz of ham and 1 oz of cheese on each and using ranch salad dressing, knowing the dressing was at least low fat (I recall when they went no fat for a while). This week, to insure correct calorie counts I asked to see the mayo container they use in everything on the way to get my morning glass of ice water. OMG! The may container said "Heavy Duty Mayonnaise"!!! 100 cal per tbs!! What I had counted as 30-40 cal was 300-400! No wonder I need my spurs and riding crop . I have no one to be annoyed with but myself. BUT, this shows how easy it is to be eating hidden calories. They weren't hidden-- my good sense had taken a HIATUS! The cafeteria certainly does NOT have luscious, tempting food and it is useful for trying out a few new things. For instance, this week I tried out a VERY tempting red delicious apple which I had to immediately evacuate from my new stomach. The cafeteria ladies pamper me and give me things to try at no charge. I have to ask them politely NOT to pile on food like they used to prior to my surgery. They are wonderful and I have to be careful of their generosity. Another cafeteria story and warning: the ladies do make a decent vegetable soup every few weeks. Also, chili on baked baked comes up about that often too. These are two of the food had had enjoyed before Jan. 25. Well, these truly country cooks add SUGAR to chili, vegetable soup AND spaghetti (which I am not eating anyway). The first try was the chili. I tasted the sugar right away and just ate a few kidney benas out of it. I asked when the soup showed up. We live and learn.--BTW, a supposedly educated colleague asked me this week if I could eat chocolate. This is the person who was so concerned about my size and getting a freebie re-up at Curves that she tried twice to convince me to join. Go figure. Tonight is Fleets night ;-o and I will weigh in the a.m. hoping for that -pound +. Lois Have a thin day!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views