Six month follow up

MrsTonyaBrown
on 3/23/06 3:04 am - Jacksonville, FL
Okay, so it was 7 months but here goes. I got to see Dr. Brooks, who seemed like a very nice man to me. *shrug* According to their scales, I'm down to 265.8 lbs, which is 113 lbs from my surgery weight of 379 and 139 lbs from my highest of 405. My home scale says 258 and I'd love to believe that first of all. LOL. Anyway, with my "ideal weight" being 130 lbs, I've lost 47% of my excess weight and he said that's awesome because most people only lose 65% of it. So that would only get me down to 217 lbs. I told him my goal is 180lbs but that's 80% of my excess and he said not to get my hopes up too high. He also told me that I'd be a good candidate for the tummy tuck at 18 months out because of all the excess skin he saw. I also showed him my "alien baby." That's the little pooch that sticks out in the center just below my ribcage when I stand up. He said it's probably from a weakness in the abdominal wall and that when I have my tummy tuck, they'll probably do a full abdomniaplasty (spelling) and tighten those muscles there as well to get rid of that pooch. Yay! My labs are great, except my iron, for which I'm taking the liquid iron suppliments now, with Vit C to help absorb it better. My cholesterol is down to 113 from the 166 before surgery. LOL. I ran into Jen while I was wandering the hospital. (Hubby had an appt at Oceana at the same time as my appt in Portsmouth, so he dropped me and Samantha off and came back for us when his was finished.) She's looking great. She's happier and is only concerned by her iron still being low, but it's slowly rising up again. Anyway, I'll be transferring to Jacksonville, FL, after August of this year, so I'll just have to keep posting and send photos later in life. LOL. This surgery is sooooo worth it! Things that have changed in the past 7 months: I can walk upstairs to our apt without hacking up a lung or soaking my clothes with sweat. I can play on the floor with my toddler and am able to get up without help from firemen. LOL. No more BP meds. No more diabetes meds. No more knee pain. Back pain is almost completely gone. I can clean my house in one straight sweep instead of in 30 minute intervals. LOL. Much more, but I need to get back to laundry. Love, Tonya
Betsy Anitahug
on 3/23/06 3:10 am - Danville, VA
Wow, Tonya, babe, I am sooooo proud of you. You are definatley on your way....What an inspiration to me. You have been through so much and yet you keep such a positive attitude. I hope you keep in touch...I used to live in Jacksonville, Fl when my first husband was in the Navy...nice area from what I remember. Hugs, Betsy
Ms Court
on 3/23/06 4:47 am - Remington, VA
Wow Tonya. You have done marvelously on your journey so far. Best wishes to you for the rest of it and keep us posted. Courtney
KathyT
on 3/23/06 5:17 am - Dale City, VA
I too have an alien there but mine doesn't show up until I am laying down and then lift my head up. One Dr. said it was a hernia while another said that it could be where I had exploritory surgery and there is a little piece of skin? that is at the ends of the intestines and that could have gotten sown when they were closing me up. I am glad to know I am not alone in this anymore!!!! Aliens have invaded :-0
Kathy & Rich
on 3/23/06 6:43 am - Fairfax, VA
Sounds like a great follow-up, Tonya! You are doing great! BTW, personal scales always are the rule. Hugs, Kathy
TammyNVA
on 3/23/06 7:40 am - Chesterfield, VA
Tonya, What a wonderful follow-up, although this doctor doesn't sound like a very positive person!! I BELIEVE you CAN reach your goal!! and I'm looking forward to the pictures! You better keep in touch with us. I also am the proud owner of an ALIEN! Hope to use that as an excuse to get the full abdomionplasty-thingy. Hey, ya gotta use what you've got! Love ya Tammy
A10sFrau
on 3/23/06 6:54 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
"No, No! Say it ain't sooo!" You're moving away? I hope I get the chance to meet you before you do. Congratulations on all your wonderful milestones and your renewed health! Hugs Lois
elvera
on 3/23/06 9:46 pm - LaPlata, MD
Tonya, Congrats on the weight loss. You are doing Great!!!!!!!
Ernurse323
on 3/24/06 6:51 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Tonya..you are gonna be one Hot mama in Florida !!!! You know..I am in Va Beach also kido !!! You have really done well. I know so many people are VERy proud of you !! Why didn't Dr C do your check up? Hugs, Dana
MrsTonyaBrown
on 3/24/06 11:23 am - Jacksonville, FL
Well, Dr. C was supposed to do my follow up when it was scheduled in February, but I missed the appt due to scheduling conflicts with my husband and our one vehicle so when it was rescheduled, the soonest they could do at a time that fit our family schedule was with Dr. Brooks. And I'll be hot in Florida. Just not sure about HOT. LOL. Hugs, Tonya
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views