When will I learn?

cpatters
on 3/22/06 6:35 am - Rockingham County, VA
I dont know why I have this urge to eat so fast! I do it over and over again. Today, while at work, I got a hunger pain. I do not get them often, so I got my piece of chicken, heated it up, cut it up into little pieces and ate it. I ate it so fast that I do not even remember eating it. Does that sound crazy or what????? I got that terrible pain in my pouch and I knew then that it was stuck or something. I had to get it out, I felt a little better but I dont know why I cant just slow down and take my time. How have some of you learned to slow down and eat slower? I have an appointment for a follow up tomarrow, should I say something to my doc? thanks a bunch. Cathy
Kathy & Rich
on 3/22/06 7:11 am - Fairfax, VA
Mention it to your doctor while you are there. He'll probably tell ya to slooooow down. LOL! When someone has spent their life eating quickly and never truly tasting their food (if you are anything like me), it is not surprising that one could easily fall back into that same pattern. What I would suggest is to count your bites. Be very deliberate. Think about it. Make sure that the food in your mouth is a very small piece and it is chewed to a complete paste before you swallow it. Swi**** around before sending it down. I've done this to get me back on track. Good luck, Cathy! Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 3/22/06 7:49 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Cathy, even for me at six months, that has been one of the hardest things for me to conquer -- eating slow. I still have problems. I guess it is a hangover from our old eating habits. I know when I do eat fast, I and that isn't fun!! I'm sorry I don't have any real spiffy suggestions, but just wanted you to know you're not the lone ranger on this one!! love donna
WendyNVA
on 3/22/06 10:01 am - Va Beach, VA
Hey Cathy, Absolutely no words of wisdom will come out of my hoover-eating mouth.. I've always sucked down my food, and sadly, I still do. Its painfuly, at times, and hopefully you'll learn to savor and enjoy the flavors.. Not all of us can Wendy
Betsy Anitahug
on 3/22/06 10:45 am - Danville, VA
Hi Sweetie...I feel for you, I really do....it is so hard to retrain our habits after so long .... eventually, you will recgonize the symptoms and slow down. My dr told me to measure my food and take 30 minutes to eat it..putting my fork down between bites. It is hard, especially when you are hungry. It will get easier further out. Hugs, Betsy
blues-singer
on 3/22/06 12:46 pm - San Marcos, CA
I bought a little digital kitchen timer. I kind of partition my food into 4 piles and try to make each pile last 5 minutes. It seems to help, but I still mess up from time to time. Focusing on chewing thoroughly also helps.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views