help from the pros please

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/06 4:27 am - Remington, VA
I should start by saying i've been in pretty good spirits since I came home. It's just the last day or so I've been having doubts. :-l I'm one week post op, and maybe I JUST need to give myself a break..... My first complaint was my only for a couple of days, pain in my left side. Once I figured out that duh....that's the side your stomach is on and of course it's going to be more sore I felt better. As far as the pain goes it's gotten tons better. So onto the other things....I've been having bowel movements....more like diarrhea, but not true diarhhea, just the consistency of. It's caused discomfort in the surrounding areas...know what I mean? So I'm having to work double time to keep up the hygiene down there. This morning was the worst. Let's put it this way, I could have used a diaper! So I had to take a lower body shower. This is obviously very irritating to me! Has anyone else had this, not the accident part, but the very loose stools post op? I'm sipping all the time. And doing well with my clears and semi-liquid intake. Im even getting down decent levels of protein! I know this part is normal, the head hunger, and mind games. Just a little support needed to reaffirm it is normal. I think of things I'd love to eat. BUt I know now what a glutton I'd become! So I know surgery affords me a healthier life. And I know someday I'll be able to enjoy solid foods again. I'm trying to be creative with my semi-liquids, as I get tired of the same thing to often in to few days. I definitely know this is the ultimate day by day process. Night by night too! I've slept differently every night since i've been home....first night the huge chair we have in our living room, 2nd night couch, nights 3 and 4 bed, just in night 3 I sat up more, and night 4 flat on my back with only a flattish pillow under my head, and then last night back to the couch. I guess I'm just frustrated about all the things i'm having to deal with lately and need some words of advice and support! I do feel better everyday, but it's the little things that frustrate me. Thanks for "listening" to me whine!
Betsy Anitahug
on 3/22/06 6:14 am - Danville, VA
Oh, Kirsten....I remember those feelings so well...I had quite a bit to deal with right after my surgery but it will get better...I was so tired of liquids...when you start adding more solids, the squirts will get better. My biggest problem is constipation. Too much cheese!!! Three months out I eat almost anything except the bad stuff. I have a hard time cooking as I am alone but am getting better at that too. This will pass soon and you will be happy with the results. Just make sure you drink your protein and plenty of water...sounds like you have that under control.. I am home most of the time if you want to talk. Good luck and I am so proud of you. Hugs, Betsy
(deactivated member)
on 3/23/06 3:33 am - Remington, VA
Betsy, On the up side you made me laugh with "the squirts". Thanks for giving it a name! I'm really wondering if my anti-depressant isn't absorbing properly and that's why I'm so emotional and so whiney! I'm going to see my pcp tomorrow. Thanks for the word sof encouragement! Kirsten
(deactivated member)
on 3/22/06 8:44 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hey Kristen, okay, slow down. You are doing fine. I don't know what you're eating at this stage, but you might want to call the doctor and let him/her know about the poopies. But as far as the other stuff - normal. Sleeping was not fun for me the first few weeks. I couldn't sleep on my left side and wasn't used to sleeping on my back, or my right side. I grew to really enjoy late night TV!! For the head hunger, you need to start thinking of food as only 'fuel' not for enjoyment. I hate to say that, but I just really don't enjoy food that much anymore. I don't know if that will change as I get further out, but for now it's disappointing. I always want to eat more, and then can't and just get frustrated. So it becomes just a chore. One thing, don't think of what you used to eat (pizza, stuff like that) that will make you feel bad. Concentrate on water, walking, and protein. This is hard to do at this early stage when you aren't 'seeing' such drastic results, but just think of how you are going to look, the hot clothes you are going to wear. You're a young woman so even though this is good for your health, the vanity aspect of this surgery is there!! So get a vision of what you are going to look like and focus on that. Think bikini in just a few short months!! And don't forget what I suggested before -- journal!! It will be so helpful to you, just day by day you'll notice change as you look back at what you wrote, and also what you weighed. Well I hope I helped you a little bit, you little whiner!! Just kidding. But hang in there and don't expect so much so soon, it will happen. That's sort of the beauty of this surgery, at the beginning it will happen no matter what you do!! Just enjoy it. love donna
(deactivated member)
on 3/23/06 3:44 am - Remington, VA
Donna, I'm tryin' on all the above! Like I told Betsy I think maybe my anti-depressant isn't absorbing or something, but will hopefully get some help on that tomorrow when I go see my pcp. Holy moly.....a friend of mine told me about a solution to one of my problems. I"m not getting enough protein and that's why my legs have been twitching at night. I had to share! relief might be in sight! Thank you so much for helping me I'm going to find a cute outfit in a magazine and put it in my journal! Kirsten
(deactivated member)
on 3/23/06 5:07 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Kristen, yeah protein is very important!! Please be sure and read Nat's emails on this subject. I was hoping that you didn't think I was preaching to you. Trust me, I am still learning myself. But the one thing that I have learned is to just sort of follow the rules and the rest will happen. At least for the most part!! love donna
hollydecarlo
on 3/22/06 9:51 am - hopewell, VA
kristen, it will get better i promise. as far as the sleeping thing i used to sleep on my side with a pillow under my belly and side to help support it maybe you can try that. as far as the head hungry its ok it to does get better but from time to time i still get it and im almost 5 mos out. i also got very sick and tired of those liquid and soft foods but before you know it you will be eating real food. and by that time you wont even care it will be a thrill for about a day. dont get dicouraged. you did this for a reason as we all did and you will be lovin life soon. just wait til your first wow moment. i go though ups and downs all the time it is very normal somedays i think im not losing fast enough so i beat myself up all day about it. but dont worry. when the weight starts coming off really quick and it will you will be happy as can be..and for the potty problem i had that too get a big bottle of vasolin. hugs take care and remember to smile you are a beautiful girl!! holly
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/06 6:09 am - Remington, VA
Hi Holly! I've gotten a little better, after realizing maybe it's just that I'm not absorbing my anti-depressnats!!! duh! I went today to see if they would represcribe it in liquid form. I have to wait to hear back from the doctor as the nurse practitioner i saw today was less then helpful! You've done awesome, read your profile! You look great, right back at ya on the beauty! Thanks for you kind words! Kirsten
A10sFrau
on 3/22/06 10:15 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
It gets better every day. I started off with normal bms. When I had to start the Actigall--constipation. I had to use the support pillow for my abdomen, too for probably 2 weeks. Fewer frustrations everyday! Keep up the good work. Lois
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/06 6:11 am - Remington, VA
Thanks Lois! You look great, keep up the good work as well! It does get better everyday and then other things creep up, but I' focusing on getting my protein in! Kirsten
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views