Just can't drink the shakes!

Linda Y.
on 3/19/06 9:25 am - Portsmouth, VA
Hello All, I hope everyone is doing great! From reading some of your posts it looks like everyone is one the winning side...not to mention that ya'll are drinking your protein shakes! Sadly for me I'm not...I just can't. I did take them the 1st couple of weeks, but now, NO! I've lost 35 lb. since Feb. 1st. I'm wondering if that's to slow? I'm feeling good, just a little slow in healing from 1 of my incisions due to being diabetic, other than that, no problems. Several people I know had the same problem & they didn't drink the shakes either...they're doing fine & are 1 to 1 1/2 years out! I guess what I'm asking here is for some advise or suggestions or . Thanks, Anastasia
Bookworm5648
on 3/19/06 9:50 am - Manassas Park, VA
Hello Anastasia! I am 10 1/2 months post-op and I do drink protein shakes, but I also eat alot of protein based foods. Some post-ops never drink the shakes and just get their protein in through their food. Every surgeon is different. My surgeon wants us to not have to depend on protein shakes, but to make good food choices. If you can't handle them now, try again in a few weeks. Your tastes change so much when you are newly post-op. Maybe you can add tasteless protein to puddings or drinks, I do that sometimes. You are doing great with your weightloss! Stacy 346/184
Linda Y.
on 3/19/06 10:16 am - Portsmouth, VA
Stacy, Thanks for your input & advice. I'll try again like you said. My surgeon wants us to have 2 shakes a day...no way can I do that! But I do try to have high grams of protein foods. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one in this situation! Anastasia
(deactivated member)
on 3/19/06 7:05 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Anastasia , Congrats on your weight loss . I am 2 mos from being shy of my 2 year anniversary . I am here to tell you that right now Protein is critical in your new lifestyle . I realize that the protien shakes on the market today .. well some taste sorta bad .. but there are ones out there that are tolerable . I do the Nectar Lemon Tea , I mix it with Chrystal Lite Peach tea and I love it . There is no way right now you can consume enough protein via your food . Protein will assist you in the weightloss , and speed up your motabolism . It will also help to protect you vital organs. Studies show that when protien is not kept at the required limits , your body will begin eating itself . Yes , your heart will begin deteriorating , you muscles on your body will begin to shrink and you can get very ill and weak . Not to mention any healing that your body needs to do will not happen with low protein levels . I would highly suggest that you find a protein drink you can tolerate . You did not post the ones you have tried . If you have not tried the Nectar products , I would suggest giving them a whirl . And to let you know , I managed to keep my levels in the beggining at 80 grams .. Increased them to 110 by 6 months and by month 8 had them at 120 . I have lost 200 lbs since surgery . I am healthy .. and my muscle tone is awesome . Anyone here that has met me can tell you that I am small but my muscles have faired well ! Please for your health .. try some other protein suppliments . Great luck to you , Natalie
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/06 8:46 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hey Natalie, I wanted to ask you -- when you were doing 110 and 120, was that all protein drinks, or a combination of food and drinks? I'm with you Nat, love the Nectar Lemon. I got the Straweberry/Kiwi and yuck -- much too sweet!! I'll take the tub to the meeting on Saturday in case anyone wants to give it a try. But for me - I'll stick with the Nectar Lemon!! I laughed to myself when I read this post and thought, hmmm, I wonder how many posts down Natalie's response will be!! I knew you would give her some good advice. Take care, and hope everything is good with you, love donna
cappymoon
on 3/21/06 1:08 am - Northern, VA
Ohh, Donna, I will take the Strawberry Kiwi off your hands if you dont want it!! That is one of the only flavors I actually like I cannot STAND the lemon.....go figure..... Dianna
elizabethc03
on 3/19/06 10:27 pm - Cypress, TX
Anastasia, I'm with you on the shakes...they are bad. I have tried at least 50 different flavors/brands and so far only one hasn't made me want to hurl immediately. It's not just the taste but the texture and smell too. I've been using the Profect shots to supplement my food choices when I need to. They're not good by any means but they're tolerable and there's so little of it that I can hold my nose and fini**** in less than 5 minutes. And the texture is like water so it's not goopy. Mostly though, I rely on food for my protein. It's definately possible, you just have to be more diligent. I have noticed though that if I don't get in at least 50 grams a day I start to feel tired. Best of luck, Liz
Lelandmm
on 3/20/06 12:18 am - Chesapeake, VA
Anastasia, I am with you on the SMELL of those damn shakes! I didn't taste any as a pre-op, because I've done every Shake diet out there and I figured the protein shakes would be similiar in taste to say Slim Fast. Boy was I WRONG! How these muscle bound weight lifters drink these things, I have NO freaking clue! Muscle Milk isn't bad. Its a little too sweet for me though, it tastes like melted ice cream. If there is a Wal Mart near you, look in the diary section, they make these Cab Sense or Carb Smart smoothies that are 13 grams of protein. I know that is not much, but if you do 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening, its 26 grams, and much better than zero! I was doing at least one of those a day, plus turkey jerky which is 40-50 grams, every day. So some days I was getting 76grams, plus my food. Which normally is like 30-40. Well, I had nothing but cramping, gas, and bathroom issues. My doc told me to cut out the protein, because I am far enough out to where I can get a good amount with my food. The "overage" of protein is what was upseting me. She is RIGHT. The cramps and other issues have reduced to almost nothing since cutting down the protein. Now, all I do is ONE Slim Fast Low Carb per day. Its 20 grams of protein. Its not that bad. I think Atkins makes a meal replacement shake that is 20 grams as well. The Slim Fast is kind of expensive. There are 9 grams of fat, but only 1 gram of sugar. If fat bothers you, you probably dont want to test it. Maybe wait until you are further out. Try the Profect Protein. Its 25 grams of protein, its kind of expensive and you have to order it, but its nothing like anything else. There are also several "unflavored" types out there. You can mix them with something like applesauce or something similiar. If there is a Vitamin Shoppe near you, they will let you bring back anything you do not like. So if you buy something, and you hate it, take it back! Just remember, buy ONE can, try it. Dont run out and buy a gallon or a case of anything right now. I made that boo boo. Now I have a huge jar of Nectar sitting under my cabinet. The problem right now, is you are so newly out, there is a short list of things that won't bother you. As you get further out you can push the envelope and try things with more than the 3 grams of fat and 3 grams of sugar we are allowed at first. Trust me, if you dont do something with the protein, you risk loosing your hair. I skimped on the protein for the first few months because I was traveling every other week for work, but when I started noticing the hair falling out, I freaked! My sister's mother in law has never done protein. Needless to say, she's 50 percent bald. At age 55, she looks like she's 80 because she's lost so much hair. Dont give up!
Linda Y.
on 3/20/06 1:23 am - Portsmouth, VA
Thank you all for responding. I am newly out & I think I need to rethink this protein problem...not to mention, that I don't want to lose what hair I do have on top! Thanks, Anastasia
Linda Y.
on 3/20/06 1:33 am - Portsmouth, VA
Advant Edge, Muscle Milk, Isopure & several powders but I can't remember their names. The powders were the worst! Also, if they are made with whey, they leave a horrible taste in my mouth for hours...even if I brush my teeth or use mouth rinse several times a day...yuk!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views