I have been checking out ...

toughlady
on 3/15/06 12:07 pm - Waynesboro, VA
I have been checking out this web site for weeks now and have learned so much from all of you beautiful ladies. I live in Churchville VA an have my first appt w/Dr. Schmerer(?) in UVA. What all happens in the first meeting and would should I expect? I have a very supportive husband but he is not a talker. I need help getting him to understand why I want to do this. Any suggestions?
TammyNVA
on 3/15/06 6:05 pm - Chesterfield, VA
First, welcome to the VA WLS friends board! Second, my dad lives in Churchville and I'll be out there this weekend for his birthday. Small world as Churchville is a small town, in the scheme of things. The first appointment with my doctor was actually with a nurse practioner of the surgerical group. I would sum up the visit as a good conversation. She asked me a bunch of questions about ME, why I wanted WLS, and my experiences and the effects being obese has had on my life. I asked lots of questions too about the procedure etc. Suggestons on how to answer the WHY for WLS: part of this has to do with your persoanlity, but my approach is to say "TO SAVE MY LIFE!" At 44, I literally had little chance of living 10 more years with the co-morbidity factors I was challenged with (diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis in my hips, knees, etc.) I just felt like a BLOB ... but in my brain, I wanted to get up off the couch and LIVE! Weight Loss Surgery is a tool, not a cure. It is designed to HELP lose weight and keep it off; it is a PERMANANT solution to a life-long struggle that I have had with achieving a "normal" weight, and living a healthy life style. Hope that helps! Tammy
toughlady
on 3/17/06 8:21 am - Waynesboro, VA
Dear Ms. Tammy, Thank you for replying to my letter. Thank you for making me feel welcome. (That does not happen a lot in my life). I hope you enjoy yourself this weekend here in the beautifully (small) town of Churchville. Have a wonderful birthday with your daddy. I have found out that my insurance will cover the inital 1st visit and there is a list of demands, but thats ok. The only one that bothers me is the one year wait, and failed attempts at weight loss on your own. If I was successful with wl I would not be on this web site now. HAHAHA. I was a member of Healthy Inspirations in Fishersville but with family problems I quit going back in October,2005. But it is not medically supervised like the insurance wants. If I have to wait a year so be it. I would roll over and play dead like a dog if thats what they want... I have an appt w/ Dr Schermer June 8 (my pcp nurse said she has know some to wait a year for the 1st appt, that I was lucky). It can come quick enough. I am having a hard time understanding how this posting thing works. Hopefully I will figure it out. Thanks again, enjoyed reading your reply.
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/06 8:30 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Debbie ...and welcome to the VA-Board! If you're anything like me, you'll have a LOTTA questions for your surgeon, but will forget MOST of them - if they're not written down. I took a list of questions, probably 30 questions - give or take, and pretty much asked them ALL, unless the doc had covered it in his previous ramblings. If you want to take a peek at them, they're in my profile under the link that says "Questions for my Surgeon" ...or something like that. As far as what to say to your hubby? GOODLUCK! I won't even tell you how to approach him, figure you know that better then any of us - but I will say, for me, it was very SIMPLE. Before losing 230 lbs, I was merely EXISTING in life. Sitting on the sidelines in a self created prison/body. I wanted to live again and I knew that this was my one and only, second chance at life. It's the BEST decision I could have ever made. In the last 3 years, I have done more LIVING then I did the previous 20. Good luck to you - Lei
toughlady
on 3/17/06 1:42 pm - Waynesboro, VA
Dear Leilani, Thank you for taking the time for me. I have alot of questions also, but I read yours and there is some wonderful questions I had not thought of yet, so i will use some of yours. Thanks alot. I just had my 11th surgery (for different things) this weeks so I am not a stranger under the knife. But thats not saying I won't be scared to death for this surgery but I sure do want it badly. My insurance says I have to wait a year before they will cover it, but I will wait as long as they want me to. I have an appt on June 8 at UVA and it can not get here soon enough.
prissy25
on 3/16/06 1:08 am - Barboursville, VA
Hi and welcome Debbie, Dr Schirmer is my DR let me see If I can remember that day. It is going to be a long day so you may want to bring you a snack for yourself and hubby a little cooler w/ water or drink. Mine was early came in for the class with Anna Miller his nurse pract. she goes over everything as far as the surgery answers questions etc. seems like that was an hour or so then a Nutritianalist (sp)? cam e in an spoke with us as well then Mike Miller who is in charge of the insurance end answers questions etc. then you will either see Dr Schirmer or be sent down for blood work and you come back to be seen by The Dr. Usually this happens on a Thurs. which is Dr Schirmers clinic day and it is busy busy busy, so be patient bring something to do and or read. Its worth it in the long run just very long day. Good luck and keep us informed.
toughlady
on 3/17/06 1:42 pm - Waynesboro, VA
Dear Miss Prissy, thanks for you answering my message. How long from the time that you saw Dr. Schirmer and having the blood work done till you had your surgery? Just wondering. I have my 1st appt June 8 but insurance says I have to wait one year. So I will hurry up and wait as long as it takes.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views