Finally doing weights....almost

kammcdonald
on 3/14/06 10:23 am - Norfolk, VA
I finally made up my mind that despite all the moving I am now doing, it still isn't the same as working out with weights. So, yesterday, I called an exercise therapist affiliated with the bariatric section of my local hospital, and I made arrangements for her to come to my home to help me get started working out with weights. Now mind you, this was one of my MANY New Year's resolutions. But, thank goodness there isn't a statute of limitations on resolutions (there isn't, is there???). Anyway, I am excited that I will soon be starting with this training. She needs to have a written consent from my doc before actually working with me, and I'll get that from my doc at my 4 mo. visit this Thursday. Can't wait to begin, now that I made that initial dreaded phone call!! *Kam*
MrsTonyaBrown
on 3/14/06 11:16 am - Jacksonville, FL
Congratulations on taking that next step. I do weight training 3-5 days a week and it's really helped strengthen everything. You'll feel loads better. I'm glad you've got someone to instruct you so that you don't injure yourself. I almost did my first time. :P Anyway, keep us informed of how it went. Hugs, Tonya
kammcdonald
on 3/16/06 9:53 am - Norfolk, VA
Thanks for the encouragement, Tonya!! I was glad to hear that I might feel "loads" better, as lately, I have been sooooo tired. Of course, I have also been doing sooooooo much. I am sure most people would be tired with my recent schedule, too!! Keep up the great work, yourself!! You are my inspiration!! *Kam*
Betsy Anitahug
on 3/14/06 8:25 pm - Danville, VA
Hi Kam....Way to go, girl. That is what I need to do too... Hugs, Betsy
kammcdonald
on 3/16/06 9:55 am - Norfolk, VA
Thanks, Betsy!! You are a newer "post-op" than me. It was DEFINITELY time for me to begin!! Good luck with your exercise/weights program, whenever you decide to begin it!! *Kam*
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/06 9:15 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Waaaaaaaaaay to GO, Kam!!!!!! WOW - now please (PLEASE) please share the details?!?!? Ive been talking and typing and talking, etc, about getting my butt to the gym and toning what the good lord gave me (with this second chance at life) and that's as far as I get - all talk! I never really thought that "having them come to your house" was ever really an option (lol, well, unless you lived in Beverly Hills and did a lotta paparazzi (sp) exposure. Can you tell us/me what something like that costs? How often will she come to your house? What type of gym equipment will you need? Weights? Mat? Machines? I have to see my PCP for my yearly (which Im late on) so I can request a health letter then. Is that pretty much what the trainer needs it to say? "Leilani is healthy enough to get off her LAZY BUTT to do any type of exercise. Now make her, will ya?" ...kinda stuff? Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated - and one less excuse for me NOT to do something about the "E" word. Good luck to you ~ congrats ~ Lei
kammcdonald
on 3/16/06 10:06 am - Norfolk, VA
As I emailed you earlier, the cost is $40.00 per hour, and I only hope to need a few hours to get started (no Bev Hills wallet, here!!). I may then ask the exercise therapist to come back once a month for a few months, just to make sure I am using the weights correctly, and possibly to add more strength training exercises (no machines, just bar bells). I did see my surgeon today, and typical for MDs, the office won't get my consent letter out till next week. But, whatever. I have waited this long, so what is a few more days for this "lazy butt"?!?! I did get good news at this 4 mo. post-op visit, though.....I am officially down 75 lbs!!! Yahoo!!! Can't believe I was carrying all that extra weight around with me!! It sure is a lot easier moving these days, than it was back 4 mo. ago!!! Course, let's not even talk about the "flab"!!! But, again, we'll see what some weight training can do for that!! I'll let you know!! Good luck with your weights program!! *Kam*
(deactivated member)
on 3/16/06 8:51 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
G'morning Kam ~ I'm glad you ALSO posted it here - not only will others possibly benefit from it, but I have the hardest time with my emails. I'm at least rec'ving them now, or so it seems, but they come over in big burps. No email for a few hours, then 50 of them squeeze through the bottleneck of the fiber optic lines and end up in my inbox. I have a better chance (and quicker chance) of seeing the responses on the board - vs - the cox.net server. I think it's something to do with the wiring on our side of the screen but it's beyond me on how to fix it. Anyway - THANK YOU for the information!!! I went searching for your email after reading this post (and yes, It did come over) ... when are you moving to VaBeach? I love the idea of possibly combining trainer time - lol, although by then, you might be ALL the trainer I need? You'll have several weeks, or more of hands on! Fair warning, you are NOT getting a "FIT and ENERGETIC" partner, in me. I'll whine, express, moan, sigh loudly - etc the first coupla' classes, lol, it's how I get through the first few days of pain. I mean well, I'm just a big ol' wimpy butt when it comes to exercise, feel free to crack the whip. I can't wait to see your thoughts on it, yes - PLEASE keep me updated, I desperately need to do "something". Enjoy your weekend ~ Lei
kammcdonald
on 3/16/06 9:37 pm - Norfolk, VA
HOLD ON...........What's this about pain????? You mentioned getting through those first few days of "pain"......hmmmmm, I might rethink this exercise thing!! Not big on "pain". Anyway, do believe I will go ahead with the first session and see just how bad it is (providing my doc even sends in the consent). Then, I'll let you know!! Course, maybe Michelle has a big ol' whip, too!! LOL!! Take care............. *Kam*
(deactivated member)
on 3/16/06 9:56 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
:::: pushing *Kam* front and center ::::: Wooohooo, stand up and REPRESENT, woman....make us PROUD!!! BRB, grabbin' my snacks, bean bag chair and digital camera!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views