Fresh post op needs some advice...

Ernurse323
on 3/10/06 9:36 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey Guys.... How long does the bloated, your guts are going to explode, feeling last? When are you able to stand up straight? When does all the gurgling in your belly settle down? When did you come off of your pain meds? When did you feel like you could take a deep breath and cough without pain? Thanks, Dana
lookin2lose2
on 3/10/06 12:01 pm - Fairfax, VA
RNY on 01/27/06 with
Hi Dana, I had surgery 6 weeks ago after two weeks I really felt like I turned the corner and started to feel better. I only took the prescription pain med. the first night home and after that I didn't feel my pain warranted the meds. I kept a small pillow with me and would use it against my tummy when I had to cough it just made me feel alot better. I also used the band I got in the hospital and I still use it now - it supports your stomach. The standing up straight thing I did struggle with for about four weeks and had to stop wearing my underwire bras because they were pressing down on my incision (I had open surgery). After I stopped wearing bras with wire I felt a ton better. Even now I can still feel tender on my incision but again I'm 6 weeks out and I realize I had major surgery but I feel 100% better! So give yourself a few weeks and I know you will be feeling alot better. Welcome to the losing side! Take Good Care! Jean
TammyNVA
on 3/10/06 6:25 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Hi Dana, I'm about 3 1/2 months out and had Lap RNY. So far I've lost approx 70 pounds. I'd say bloated feeling left within a week. Stand up straight? Also within a week, but I had Lap, and open would be closer to 2 weeks (I've had several abdominal surgeries and KNOW the feeling) Gurgling? Honey, I still have lots of gurgling! Pain Meds? 10 days, but I was also dealing with a dislocated shoulder... would have been much sooner if not for that complication Deep breath and cough? I noticed about a month after surgery I could sing, cough, etc. without much discomfort. Good luck! It only gets better!!! Tammy
Betsy Anitahug
on 3/10/06 9:53 pm - Danville, VA
Dana, I had mine open and it is a pain for awhile. I am almost 3 months out and I am completely back to normal. The worst part for me was waking up in the am and being so stiff. Walking always helps with the bloating and the stiffness. It will get better everyday, Sweetie and well worth all the uncomfort you are in now. Hugs, Betsy
Susan E.
on 3/12/06 8:56 am - Purcellville, VA
Hi Dana, First I want to say Welcome Home. Glad your surgery went well. I had Open RYN. I was in the hosp. for 3 days. Rarely used my PC pump for pain. I personally feel worse on meds. When I came home I just used liquid Adult Tylenol. I felt like hamburger for the first 7 to 10 days. Each day I felt a little better. I was back at work on my 14 th day. Yuk, a bad move on my part. I really should have stayed home a min. of 3 weeks then half days for a week. To be honest I really started to feel normal at 6 weeks. My body just felt run down. And I was pushing it. It took a few days to be able to stand up straight. Wearing the binder did help, even though I hated it. And gas,gurgling, well I still have it. I think thats the a new way of life for us by-pass patients. You will be bouncing around before you know it, but listen to your body too. Hugs, Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views