Is there a test??

cappymoon
on 3/9/06 12:27 am - Northern, VA
Hey guys and gals Have a quick question before I run out the door today. Is there a test to see if one has a problem with LOW blood sugar? I think that is my problem, and I think the answer to controlling it is to eat more and more protein. But the past couple of weeks, I have been crashing quite frequently, and I know it is low blood sugar. Last night I went low, ate a high sugared yougurt, felt better, then went low again about 45 minuets later. It has never happened twice in an hour before. I go to my parents when I am near them to check my sugar and when these symptoms come up, they are in the 50's. So, is there a test my Dr can do, or can anyone give me some tips on how to keep it up a little higher?? Thanks in advance Dianna
Lorraina M.
on 3/9/06 1:16 am - Ruther Glen, VA
Hello Dianna, Well i am a diabetic and have a test called A1C and it shows the average of your blood sugar readings over a 3 month period. This may help you, but what I would do is invest in a blood sugar monitor, actually sometimes different companies give the monitor free if you use their test strips. If you have access to a monitor just test yourself when you feel bad, this should answer your questions pretty quickly. If you are below 100 then that is probably the problem. The rule I have been told is to keep your level between 100-140. Hope this helps! Lorraine
cappymoon
on 3/9/06 2:15 am - Northern, VA
Thanks Lorraine....I was thinking about investing in a glucose machine. Both of my parents are diabetic, and when I went low last night the first thing I did was go to their house and test. When I came out low, I then couldnt find ANYTHING other than the yougurt to bring it back up!! I am wondering if the regular blood test tests the A1C or if I have to get that from my PCP.....hmmmm, I might make an appointment to go see my DR Thanks for the advice!! Dianna
Tam
on 3/9/06 2:36 am - Richmond, VA
Dianna, Hey girl. How have you been? I am hypogylcemic (low blood sugar). I was pre op and am worse now, but I am not complaining! There is a test that can be done but in order to get the acurate results you need to test for three months and keep a log. Walgreen's frequently runs coupons for a free monitor by rebate. If you go to your Dr. and he prescribes it for the testing then insurance should cover it and the testing strips and lancets. Mine are covered (thankfully!). The best way to keep it up is to eat at regular times and eat healthy. Even though I am not hungry I have to eat every three or four hours...usually just a string cheese or a bagel chip...something light. Remember that this is just as serious as being a diabetic and you have to watch everything you eat! I am not trying to sound like a know it all, but I have been there. Hope you get it all worked out soon. {hugs} Tammy C
Kathy & Rich
on 3/9/06 2:47 am - Fairfax, VA
Dianna, Sounds like you are having reactive hypoglycemia. It happens to some post-ops. Basically when you eat something higher in carbs your body overreacts and gives off too much insulin and that drives your sugar down too low. Invest in a glucose monitor. They are cheap but the test strips are pricey. Tips: 1. Eat something every 3-4 hours. 2. Keep your meals protein focused. 3. Do not eat carbs by themselves. Mixing protein and fat in them with change the way your body reacts and slow the rise in blood sugar and hopefully reduce the amount of insulin that is given off in response. 4. Always, always keep food with you. Keep peanuts, protein bar (lower carb), peanut butter crackers, etc with you. 5. At the first sign of feeling lightheaded, sweaty, shakey, fuzzy brained - check your sugar. The glycated hemoglobin blood test (known as the hb A1C) is the standard test for a diabetic. Problem is that it shows the average blood sugar over the past 3 months which is important information to a diabetic but it might not show anything special for you since it is an average. The normal glucose tests shows your level right at this moment. I think the only test that might help you...would be a glucose tolerance test. You get your blood drawn (after fasting) then you drink some horrible sweet stuff and they test your body's response to that. It's a standard test for pregnant women but it might be helpful to see if you crash after the sugar hits your system. You might want to consult an endocrinologist. I can recommend one here right in Tysons.... he is excellent. S. Mark Tanen in the office building across from the Hilton on Jones Branch Drive. Hugs, honey! Kathy
MrsTonyaBrown
on 3/9/06 3:54 am - Jacksonville, FL
Dianna, I'm sorry you're having this problem but until you can get tested, here's what was recommended to me. (I was diabetic for years before this surgery, now I eat every few hours to keep it level.) When you feel yourself crashing on low blood sugar, DON'T just eat a high sugar item and expect that to fix it. You have to eat a medium sugar item and some protein. The medium sugar will bring you out of the first crash and the protein should last long enough to keep you from crashing again. When you eat a high sugar item only, it sends your blood sugar soaring then within a short period, causes it to plummet again. Try including a little more carbs into your diet to even out your sugars until you can talk to your dr. Hugs and good luck, Tonya
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/06 6:20 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Dianna - One of the best tips I rec'd on bringing it back to semi-norm, fast with no follow up crash, is to mix the sugar/carb with PROTEIN! Eileen F. told me to start munching on PeanutButter Crackers when I feel myself going through a dip in blood pressure and it really DOES work. I buy them by the box now and keep a pack in my car (at all times) and a pack in my purse (at all times). If you can, fiind the LITTLE DEBBIE brand of Peanut Butter Crackers. Those come in 4 packs (the rest of them come in 6 packs) and I find that if I get 6, I'll eat all six, when 4 will do just fine. Good luck to you - Im in the process of setting up appointments on my issues, TOO! Hugs - Lei
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/06 6:29 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Ya' know, I reread this and Im not sure that I made sense, even to me! On the Little Debbie's? What I mean (meant) was that they sell them in boxes of individually wrapped crackers and a PACK of CRACKERS equals 4 crackers. The other brands have 6 crackers per pack. In my original reply, it looked like I meant 4 packages per box. ....that or Ive just over explained myself so much, we're all bumfuzzled!!
Chyanne2u
on 3/9/06 11:00 am - Kings Mountain, NC
Hey Dianna, I have a history of low blood sugar. If I eat anything high in carbs in the morning....by lunch time I am crashing....shaking, pulse flying, feeling like I'm going to pass out. It has dropped as low as 52. Once I eat, I'm fine until I crash again. I have found that the only thing I can do to keep this from happening is to eat all protien in the mornings. What I would do is ask your doctor to do a blood sugar history. One blood test can show them all the highs & lows for the last 3 months. This way they can determine exactly what you need to do to keep this from happening again. My guess is you need to lay off the M & M's. Lots of Love Kathy
nitengale
on 3/9/06 4:35 pm - Leesburg, VA
RNY on 09/14/04 with
Hey Chicklet... avoid dosing yourself with the high sugar stuff... your just gonna bottom out in an hour or so... (like you did). Drink some juice, some milk, eat some cheese or PB... you want the complex carbs not the simple sugars to fix this. Before going to the doc and getting something on your medical record that could be tagged as a preexisting condition later on... get a meter and do regular cks on yourself for awhile. Document it all and just keep it handy. Also note when your numbers dip or dive... how long since a meal, stress issues, exercise or activity level at time of dip. THEN if you do need to follow up with a doc.. you will have a couple of weeks of info in hand and that will save you and the doc a ton of time and energy. IF you buy a meter... get one that will allow you to stick your arm... if you start sticking your fingertips... they get really sore really quick.. and everytime you bump your finger you will feel it... Keep some nuts or little PB stix in your purse... this should help... feel better wanda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views