Choosing the KNIFE! (great read)

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/06 9:36 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
G'morning gals and guys ~ Found this article on another message board and thought it was a GREAT read and wanted to share it with ya'll. Sorry IF it's already been shared/posted and I missed it, but I figure if it has and I missed it, others might have as well. This article touches base on a LOT of FACTS about weight loss surgery that I think a lot of people are either NOT aware of or choose not to believe. As a long term post op, I can attest to the difficulty of maintenance, the long term malaborb issues, the infamous (and expected, yet dreaded) BOUNCE BACK. It happens, it will happen, it's part of the entire REALITY of our new life. I see it time and time again, read about it, hear about it, and am LIVING IT as I type. WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY is NOT a QUICK FIX - which is what I love about this article, it touches base on a lot of fallacies out there. It's a great read - long but good, honest! Lei ~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Choosing the Knife ~*~*~*~*~*~*~ By Sally Squires Tuesday, March 7, 2006; HE01 "Today" show weatherman Al Roker and singer Carnie Wilson are likely to have a lot more company in the once-exclusive ranks of those who have had weight-loss surgery. A recent Medicare decision expands coverage for gastric bypass and other weight-loss surgery to people with a body mass index of 35 or greater -- about 60 pounds or more overweight -- who also have at least one weight-related medical problem, such as diabetes, sleep apnea or heart disease. In 2005, about 170,000 people in the United States had weight-loss surgery, according to the American Society of Bariatric Surgery (ASBS). Medicare paid for 6,000 of those procedures. Ninety percent of those operations were performed on people younger than 66, who are disabled by their weight and other medical problems, according to the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Since private insurers generally follow Medicare's lead, weight-loss surgery is expected to increase significantly throughout the country. But experts caution that surgery is not a cure for obesity. "It's a tool designed to help you help yourself, not a free ride," says surgeon Harvey Sugerman, past president of ASBS and professor emeritus at Virginia Commonwealth University. Some worry that the expanded coverage sends the wrong message, since medical treatment for obesity is limited at best. "Insurance companies won't cover the medical care of obesity treatment, but they're willing to pay for surgical intervention," notes Arthur Frank, director of the George Washington University Weight Management Program. "That's outrageous. It drives people into surgery . . . and may create the wrong incentives." Here are some of the caveats to keep in mind about gastric bypass and other weight-loss surgery, which has a mortality risk of about 0.5 percent to 2 percent, about the same as a hip or knee replacement. Surgery only gives a jump start. The procedures promote weight loss in two ways: either by diverting food from the stomach to a lower part of the digestive tract where nutrients can't be absorbed, or by reducing stomach size so that less food can be consumed at a given time. Overeating after surgery can result in vomiting or in "dumping," a condition that lasts about 30 minutes and is characterized by lightheadedness, nausea, flushing and sometimes diarrhea. "But you can always beat the system by drinking milk shakes or eating ice cream," says Frank, who notes that the same healthy habits prescribed for weight loss -- eating less and moving more -- are still required after surgery. That may be particularly challenging since people who become morbidly obese usually have difficulty controlling what they eat and often don't exercise. "Lots of people go into this with unrealistic expectations that the surgery will take care of it all and this will be it," says Ronna Saunders, director of the Center for Behavioral Change in Richmond, who counsels people after weight-loss surgery and screens them before it. Plan on taking vitamin and mineral supplements for life. Weight-loss surgery alters the digestive tract so that enough key vitamins and minerals can't be absorbed from food alone. After surgery, "all menstruating women need iron supplements," Sugerman says. "All patients need vitamin B12daily by mouth or monthly by injection." Also required: a daily multivitamin and at least 500 milligrams of calcium per day. Expect to regain some of the weight lost initially. During the first two years after surgery, an average of 60 percent of excess pounds are lost, which can improve the patient's health by treating such conditions as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and ease joint pain. But those who undergo weight-loss surgery almost never achieve an ideal body weight and still remain slightly obese or at least overweight. "If they started off with a body mass index of 60, they may get to a body mass index of 35," Sugerman says. "They're not going to get to a BMI of 30 or 25." The weight also creeps back, as Roker has found. He shed more than 100 pounds after surgery in 2002, but in January of this year began a diet on the show to lose 20 of the pounds he's regained. He's said that a back problem and a hectic business travel schedule have contributed to his added pounds. "Typically you'll get three to five years of benefit in terms of weight loss," Frank notes. "But the weight almost invariably adds back." Prepare to pay . Even if you have health insurance, it may not pick up much of the tab. Weight-loss surgery averages $20,000, plus the cost of follow-up care. Private insurers take their cue from CMS, which allows $10,000 for hospital costs, plus up to $1,700 for the surgeon. Medicare picks up 80 percent of the surgeon's cost; the patient pays 20 percent. Follow-up medical, psychological, diet and exercise treatment are extra and can run thousands of dollars more and generally is not covered by insurance or Medicare. Find additional help. The often large and fairly rapid weight loss following surgery "requires physical and emotional adjustment," notes clinical psychologist Melissa Kalarchian, who studies people who have undergone weight-loss surgery at the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh. Spouses may also need some assistance. A recent University of Tennessee study examined spouses of 63 people who underwent weight-loss surgery. They found that 75 percent of spouses who were obese gained weight in the year after surgery -- perhaps because they ate food no longer eaten by their mates -- as did 38 percent who were not obese. The team suggests counseling to prevent weight gain and that very obese spouses be considered candidates for bariatric surgery themselves. Medical treatments have not proven effective for severe obesity. "Nothing about the surgical procedures will cure the disease," notes Frank. "It's the very uncommon patient who will sustain the weight loss. But if you can get five years of benefit out of it, that's pretty good." . http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/06/AR2006030601151_2.html?referrer=email .
cappymoon
on 3/9/06 2:44 am - Northern, VA
That was a good article, very honest. I truly hope people take the time to read this, especially if they are pre-op. I for one do not want to regain an ounce, but I have heard that this will happen. How long does it take to happen? I have been bouncing around the same 5 lbs for 5 months now. When can I declare myself *done* loosing? I would love to look into plastic surgeons for this summer. Maybe I will wait till next summer. Thanks for the good read! Dianna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views