Richmond, VA

Luvsdaislands
on 3/8/06 5:49 am - Landover, MD
A friend of mines is interested in WLS, can someone recommend a Surgeon and support group in the Richmond, VA area?? Youlanda
Tam
on 3/8/06 6:43 am - Richmond, VA
Youlanda, I am 10 months post op and have the best surgeon! At least in my opinion. He has been doing this surgery longer than anyone in Richmond and in fact is one of the "founding" doctors of this surgery. He is Dr. Neil Hutcher at Commonwealth Surgeons. The office is at St. Mary's Hospital. There is a support group that meets at St. Mary's Hospital as well. Our regular monthly meeting is tomorrow night at 7 PM. I would be happy to meet your friend if she or he can come. There are several other groups in the vicinity, depending on what area of town they live in. Please feel free to e mail me if you have any questions. Tammy C 10 months post op -173 lbs
Iamspoi1ed
on 3/8/06 7:34 am - Roanoke, VA
Hello I recently has WLS too...my surgery date was Jan 17 06. My doctor was Dr. Hutcher as well. He is terrific. Depending on the type of surgery your friend wants to have, there are other doctors in the practice too, but I think he is the best personally There is a support group that meets at St. Mary's, but I dont go to that one because it is too far away for me. The one I attend is at John Randolph(??) Hospital in Hopewell. Best of Luck!!! Mary
(deactivated member)
on 3/8/06 7:55 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Youlanda , I would recommend Dr.Hutcher . St.Mary's - Commonwealth Surgeons Office . This man to me is the best . He is also the President of the International Bariatric Society . Read my profile - where I review him .. you will see what I am talking about . To me he was an agel sent from God .. and when I am around him I am almost like a little child .. he is so caring .. and so loving .. Please have her check him out . Best to her . Nat
A10sFrau
on 3/8/06 11:34 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
I heartily recommend Dr. John Kellum at MCV. I don't know who wins the "this doctor did it first" race. I only know that Dr. Kellum has been performing WLS surgery since 1981. His staff is terrific and they have a wonderful post-surgical life-time follow-up program. The MCV program is also accredited by the American College of Bariatric Surgeons. Your friend should research all programs available in the Richmond area and chose the one that best meets her needs. There are more programs than just the two mentioned here. Good luck to her! Lois
Tam
on 3/9/06 2:47 am - Richmond, VA
When I stated that Dr. Hutcher is a "founding" doctor for this procedure it was not to boast or brag but to simply state he has been doing this for a long time and knows what he is doing. He has an excellent mortality rate and a very low complication rate. He is the President of the American Board of Bariatric Surgeons and had worked hard to have the hospitals that perform this surgery get accrediated. We all must have a high opinion of our surgeon...after all we put our life in their hands. As always the best practice is to do your research and meet with a surgeon. You should have a good vibe when you meet...if not then meet with someone else. Tammy C
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/06 7:42 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Youlanda .. you tell your friend to do her homework .. and it sounds like she is doing that . Tammy , myself and Mary have had such a wondeful experience with Dr.Hutcher .. the staff and the entire journey that he laid out for us . She will know whom to choose when the time is right . Not all doctors will suit her needs . And there is no race here to see who is first .. the best .. the greatest .. to each and everyone here .. our surgeons are top dog .. and we choose them because of their reputations .. and their bedside manners etc.. I know I want the man or woman that I feel comfortable with , That does have the most experience .. best MO rate .. and so on .. I want an office that prepares me for the surgery before and stays with me years after .. and that is what Commonwealth has to offer . I can not speak for MCV only to say that Jill Meador the Coordinator over there is fantastic .. a very loving caring woman and so are the doctors over there ... She will decide on her own .. and I am very proud to see that she has a great friend like you .. that cares enough to look for the best .. ! Love and hugs , Natalie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views