Other Portsmouth Naval "Weighters"?

Mojodiva
on 3/7/06 9:54 pm - FPO, Japan
Yesterday I received the news I was hoping for-- my PCM's referral to the Bariatric Clinic at Portsmouth Naval Hospital was accepted and I was signed up for orientation on March 16th (!!!). I get my patient number after the orientation (or before, not sure hehehehe) and then start the loooooong wait for my surgeon consult. Are there any other waiting people (hence the "weighters") here? Any Portsmouth Naval post-ops? I will be attending the support groups at the hospital, so I hope to meet you all if you are out there. Im scared to get excited. When I was being given the orientation sign up I asked when I would find out if Tricare had approved the surgery and the (very very nice) lady said I just have to show up for appointments. I was floored. I thought it would be a long, drawn out process, but Im guessing they trust the doctors who agree to refer us to the clinic. My hubby is stationed at NAB Little Creek in Virignia Beach. I love Virginia Beach. Hubby agreed to stay here so I could wait for my surgery. It helps that I've never asked to stay anywhere before and we are both very excited that I have this oppurtunity after so many years of struggling and beating myself up. Anyway, hoping to meet other 'weighters' and post-ops in my area. I want to learn everything I possibly can during the long wait. I stand 4'11.5" and currently weigh 237.2 pounds. I joined Weigh****chers last night due to the free registration so I could get that three month supervised diet finished.
(deactivated member)
on 3/7/06 10:00 pm - Remington, VA
I'm not a PNH patient, but I know a couple of the ladies. They have a yahoo group the link is.... http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lordspatients/ You have to become a member, but since you're one of the PNH patients that's not an issue! Good luck on your journey!
Mojodiva
on 3/9/06 12:24 pm - FPO, Japan
Thank you so much for the link! That was very kind of you. Now Im going to go read your journal. Quick question. How did you begin writing the journal? IS everyone using the General Profile block where you can add additional comments to your profile page?
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/06 6:34 pm - Remington, VA
HI Gail! No problem, anytime I can be of help I'm willing! As far as starting your profile, yes you go to your general info and enter your text. If you want it spruced up email [email protected] and someone will get back to you. It takes a while for it to get done, so dont worry if it's been a long time! To find a layout type in set or linkware into your search engine, or I can recommend these, as they're great: http://www.ajoyfulheart.com/linkware.htm http://www.sundreamdesigns.com/graphics.html http://catonthewebdesign.com/ Enjoy! Kirsten
MrsTonyaBrown
on 3/7/06 10:39 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi, Gail. I'm a PNH post opper. I had my surgery at Portsmouth in August 2005. The surgery staff there are great. My husband is stationed at NAS Oceana and the link listed above for the yahoo group is correct. Email me your email address and I'll make sure to get you an invite to the group. They are an awesome bunch of women. Will you be going to the support group meetings at the hospital? They are held every 1st Thursday of the month on the 1st floor in the cafeteria. There are usually around 100-150 people present. Last meeting we had a workout instructor talk about the importance of exercise and had a 15 min exercise class. It was enjoyable. And don't worry if you have kids. I have a 2yr old that goes to the meetings with me. Hugs and welcome, Tonya 405/379/265/180 (highest/surgery/current/goal) 5'5" (large skeletal frame)
elvera
on 3/7/06 11:25 pm - LaPlata, MD
Hi, I decided not to wait for portsmouth. I changed from Tricare prime to standard and with in 3 months I had a date for Jan 31. It would have taken to long at portsmouth. I was told there was a 2 year wait. No thank you. I am so happy that I went to WLS of Newpot news. Standard paid for the whole thing.... Good luck to you. Oh when I called to Portsmouth the gal I talked to told me I would have a better chance getting it done faster if I switched to standard.....
Mojodiva
on 3/9/06 12:33 pm - FPO, Japan
I completely understand why you would switch to Standard to have it done faster! I thought about doing it for a moment, until I realized that my family benefits by waiting in my situation. My youngest is just 8 months old right now and by the time my number gets called up, he will be a toddler which my older two (an 18 year old and an 11 year old) won't mind so much hanging out with during the recovery. Hubby is excellent with the baby of course, but I know it will be easier for him with our son a bit older. I also like having this time to really prepare myself (be it reading everything and/or going to counseling to prepare for the changes) and the rest of my family for what's going to happen. I just have to be really, really patient, though.
Mojodiva
on 3/9/06 12:27 pm - FPO, Japan
What time are the support group meetings? I WILL be there in April and I will bring my youngest (he will be 9 months) and possibly my 11 year old daughter if she wants to come. I have sooo many questions about the program and I am really looking forward to the orientation on the 16th. My hubby is so excited for me.
MrsTonyaBrown
on 3/9/06 5:45 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Gail, The meetings start at 7pm but a lot of us like to get there around 6pm because it fills up pretty quickly. I'm usually at one of the front tables with an older lady who sometimes uses a scooter or walker, named Archa (wonderful woman). Stop by to get your name tag and door prize ticket when you come in. See you there. Hugs, Tonya
Betsy Anitahug
on 3/8/06 2:48 am - Danville, VA
Hi Gail...You are short like me...I am only 5' 0" and I weighed 248 at the time of surgery. My highest was 298! I was as big around as I was tall. This surgery has been the biggest blessing to me. Alot of changes but all for the good. Let us know when you get a date. Hugs, Betsy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views